Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

V12 Man I have read some posts you made about anti saddle sore procedures, with three months to go I want to start getting into a regime that will prevent saddle sores.

What do you recommend,

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

V12 Man I have read some posts you made about anti saddle sore procedures, with three months to go I want to start getting into a regime that will prevent saddle sores.

What do you recommend,

Surgical spirits in a spray bottle - just do not get it inside the urethra.... spray your shorts chamois and the skin and surrounding areas before a ride - skin 3 times a week, shorts - before every ride - but let them dry before putting them on. You may feel slight burning - this will go away when it dries, and as your skin gets used to it, it will reduce.

Remember.... avoid the tip..... :) and no - I have no personal experience - only heard the screaming from a distance..... although I have felt it on open blisters on the hand before.... and sprayed it on many other peoples blisters.... 

Non-Medical advice: Wash properly, dry properly and make sure your bibs fit 

Old school advice - always good :)

• 2 weeks later...

What is a reasonable cost for a mechanic at the ACE?

R5K to R8K, depending on the level of service you require.

R5K to R8K, depending on the level of service you require.

What service do you require? If you start with new(ish) tires, new (hard) brake pads and serviced suspension(s), most riders will only need new brake pads halfway and that will be about it. And you should be able to do this yourself, as you should be able to adjust a derailleur or to fix a snapped chain. If you don't know how to do this, you should not be riding mtb stage races.

Service is advisable when you are a podium contender in one of the categories and insist on having your bike properly revised after each stage. You don't want a minor technical problem destroying your medal hopes.

If you want the service as a "you never know what can happen" insurance, remember the services can only help you after finishing a stage.

If something is very wrong with your bike you can always find help during a stage at the official technical support service at the water points or after the stage at one of the ad hoc service suppliers in the race village. You will maybe pay a higher price and have to wait a little longer, but you will be helped. And most common and important bike parts (shimano, sram, tires) are sold in the race village.

For me a service package is also a bit of insurance in case of a very wet and muddy stage. This could wreak havoc with even a well serviced bike.

We paid 6k each for ours.

For me a service package is also a bit of insurance in case of a very wet and muddy stage. This could wreak havoc with even a well serviced bike.

We paid 6k each for ours.

In 2014 we rode an epic wet and muddy stage (second stage of the Cape Epic that year) and we did not have to service/change/repair one thing on our bikes afterwards. Even our (sintered) brake pads were fine.

I live in Belgium where we are used to riding in inclement weather. Even this weekend we rode two organised tours of 50 km's in mud (and loads of mud as in sometimes getting stuck in it) and constant rain. And so did thousands of other riders.

Carefully hosing the bike with water, applying some grease on the chain and it was perfect for my recovery spin today. If we'd have to go to the LBS each time we do a muddy ride, mtb'ing would be the most expensive sport ever. So no, some rain and mud will not destroy your bike. Just be carefull while shifting and remove the mud if it blocks the derailleurs and you and your bike will be fine. And it's not about the tires, the bike runs the RoRo/RaRa combo that I use(d) in the Epic.

In Belgium loads of bike riders think that a mtb is something you should use in winter. They are convinced summer is for riding road racers. I disagree. And yes, if I was living in Australia or SA, I also would be worried about riding in rain and mud because of not being used to it. But the bike will do great, no worries.

What service do you require? If you start with new(ish) tires, new (hard) brake pads and serviced suspension(s), most riders will only need new brake pads halfway and that will be about it. And you should be able to do this yourself, as you should be able to adjust a derailleur or to fix a snapped chain. If you don't know how to do this, you should not be riding mtb stage races.

Service is advisable when you are a podium contender in one of the categories and insist on having your bike properly revised after each stage. You don't want a minor technical problem destroying your medal hopes.

If you want the service as a "you never know what can happen" insurance, remember the services can only help you after finishing a stage.

If something is very wrong with your bike you can always find help during a stage at the official technical support service at the water points or after the stage at one of the ad hoc service suppliers in the race village. You will maybe pay a higher price and have to wait a little longer, but you will be helped. And most common and important bike parts (shimano, sram, tires) are sold in the race village.

Sound advice. With tie downs and duct tape you can fix many issues during a stage. Take a credit card with you on every stage so that you can buy parts at the tech zones if needed. A mechanic can not help you 80 kms into the stage on some remote spot. That is when you will have to improvise with tie downs and duct tape.Many riders have done this in the past  from fixing broken frames to tying a shoe to the spindle of a pedal that came apart.

What is a reasonable cost for a mechanic at the ACE?

9k, including massages, bike service and bike transport from JHB to CPT and between prologue and stage 1. Plus the have a chill out area to talk *** about the days adventures.

Oh, and they'll probably keep our beers cold.

Our 1st Epic next year, will Maxxis Ardent do the job?

Many threads have been filled with discussions on tires for the Cape Epic. Most important features: tubeless, reinforced sidewalls and new. Tires that have the three features will do.