Best Bike in Africa 2015: #11 Pyga Stage

News bot

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all of the above skeleton man, and for many years going back in time, with re-occurring success ... dont get me wrong, im all for local is lekker, but we've had ZA born entrepreneurs starting brands for bikes made in Taiwan before ...

We've also had many US born entrepreneurs starting brands for bikes made in Taiwan before... Specialized is one of them.

We've also had many US born entrepreneurs starting brands for bikes made in Taiwan before... Specialized is one of them.

You make a very good point...

Sure Pyga is a small operation somewhere in howick(flippen hipster jol :clap: )...but your weakness is sometimes your strength.

They have a presence at all the big stage races in SA...Patrick himself wrenching and helping out, should you run into issues, the man is there ready to help out or give advice...do the big brands have this...NO

You can speak directly to the guy that designed your frame, ask about potential kit and how it will work with your frame....do the big brands offer this service...NO

Their bikes are designed for SA...now this might not sound like a biggie but consider this, you will probably do all of your riding in your lifetime here in SA, why not buy a bike that was designed for our specific and quite unique mtb culture....

Now when it comes to warranties, who would you like to deal with, the guy that put his name on the frame or a rep/agent....

Being small means you are agile, agile when it comes to all of the above..

And then lastly and this is very IMPORTANT, their videos are cool

Being small is good in this case, and one of the reasons I bought one. 

Edited by rouxtjie

Most high end frames are made in China / Taiwan, including Spez.

On a different note, one of my friends' baby was made in China, seems like everything gets made there these days.

Are you surprised? the Chineese are apparently experts at making babies!

Hope the Chinese did not help make his baby  :blush: hehehe

G

Are you surprised? the Chineese are apparently experts at making babies!

Sure Pyga is a small operation somewhere in howick(flippen hipster jol :clap: )...but your weakness is sometimes your strength.

They have a presence at all the big stage races in SA...Patrick himself wrenching and helping out, should you run into issues, the man is there ready to help out or give advice...do the big brands have this...NO

You can speak directly to the guy that designed your frame, ask about potential kit and how it will work with your frame....do the big brands offer this service...NO

Their bikes are designed for SA...now this might not sound like a biggie but consider this, you will probably do all of your riding in your lifetime here in SA, why not buy a bike that was designed for our specific and quite unique mtb culture....

Now when it comes to warranties, who would you like to deal with, the guy that put his name on the frame or a rep/agent....

post-35775-0-73190100-1445500107_thumb.jpg

Nuff said....

It's posts like these that tempts me into selling my stumpy and buying a no-name brand chinarello. What a dof argument...

You know you wouldn't though, you know you are riding pedigree everytime you take it out for a spin.

You know you wouldn't though, you know you are riding pedigree everytime you take it out for a spin.

but does it define me? I hope not.

The Pyga also looks like a really good bike.

explain

actually nevermind...

Yes but it lasted, and time will tell if PYGA does too. Its great to see a South African brand doing well in this space. Im a bit skeptical about pricing on something this novel among a group of pedigreed makes.

I also observe that the craze about laid back geometry a bit uneducated when you consider that the Giant Trance has already established its placed as a consumer bike for much cheaper with no holds on quality.

but does it define me? I hope not.

The Pyga also looks like a really good bike.

I think you are conflating the issue. No one has mentioned specific brands yet, and im really hoping the forum doesnt turn into another i hate spez debate.

explain

actually nevermind...

I wouldnt bother explaining, next time you're in the Cape, give me a call, ill organize you a spez to go hill climbing and descending with and then we'll talk ...

I wouldnt bother explaining, next time you're in the Cape, give me a call, ill organize you a spez to go hill climbing and descending with and then we'll talk ...

been to a demo day....but thanks for the offer.

You trying to derail this thread or starting Friday k@k already....

I think you are conflating the issue. No one has mentioned specific brands yet, and im really hoping the forum doesnt turn into another i hate spez debate.

I love my Stumpy, no doubt. Does that mean that no one else comes close? I think not. Just because the Stumpy was my choice in 2013, does not mean that I am not open to other players in the same field. I would love a second bottle cage to be fitted on the frame for instance. Even if it is just for the 2 or 3 stage races I do a year. The other +- 330 days a year I don't mind slapping on my Camelbak, and no - I don't want a Specialized Epic, thank you.

Well put, this is pretty much the reason I have put my name down for the new Stage. Although, I must admit Spez have been good on the warrantee side.

The Stage looks awesome, has two bottle cages, unique technology and it has Patrick behind it. Anyone keen on buying a 2015 Spez Marathon??