The I-Team

tombeej

I Will be taping the "Distance" and "Time" columns (As I don't know half the places names) of the following split time calculator that Gerald made to my top Tube. That way i can see if i am still in the ball park even at the 70km split which might give me that extra bit of motivation to stay in the ring with the hammerman a bit longer than I  would normally.

post-46817-0-88527900-1446539557_thumb.jpg

Edited by ScottC-M

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the biggest challenge for me is the pacing of the race in general by that i mean over the entire distance, what pace do we start with do you factor in fatigue at the end and make up time in the start, what pace to ride the various hills, are there sections where we will recover, the experienced guys will have alot of controlling and talking to do in the race to keep us in check

You're gonna have to look at the time splits as your guide to the pace in order to make the sub 3 time. The chaps who recover quickly will usually be the stronger riders and they should do longer turns and\or more frequent ones as tombeej suggested earlier. The whole group will need to rely on each person being honest about where they are at throughout and communicate such. If they're only just holding on, they need to say that and ride in the bubble, rather than feel compelled to do a turn in front and then die, making the whole group ride 2- 3 kays slower over the rest of the distance, if the group is prepared to wait! You should have enough guys of similar strength along with the group dynamics of 'the outsiders' on the day to have people prepared to work on the front! It's a challenge to get cohesion AND KEEP IT, but it's super sweet and the distance melts away when you do! 

(For this reason alone the DC is such a popular event!)

the biggest challenge for me is the pacing of the race in general by that i mean over the entire distance, what pace do we start with do you factor in fatigue at the end and make up time in the start, what pace to ride the various hills, are there sections where we will recover, the experienced guys will have alot of controlling and talking to do in the race to keep us in check

As far as recovery goes, I think the points worth mentioning are:

1. After the wilds, there is the long descent to the M2 (past ponte).

2. Jan Smuts section 1 (from Parktown boys to Zoo lake)

3. Jan Smuts section 2 (from Hyde Park centre to Conrad drive)

4. Homestead past the golf course (it's also worth mentioning here to BE ALERT on this stretch, the road is not great, and it's an EXTREMELY fast section)

5. Last bit of Grosvesnor road down to Witkoppen

6. Malibongwe just before Kya sands

7. Cedar down to the Jukskei crossing

IMO, these are the only places that you will be able to freewheel, and gather your thoughts, because the rest of the time is going to be a balls to the wall effort.

I don't want to put anyone off, but a sub 3 is not an "easy" ramble around JHB, and definitely doesn't allow water stops and pee breaks etc.

As far as recovery goes, I think the points worth mentioning are:

1. After the wilds, there is the long descent to the M2 (past ponte).

2. Jan Smuts section 1 (from Parktown boys to Zoo lake)

3. Jan Smuts section 2 (from Hyde Park centre to Conrad drive)

4. Homestead past the golf course (it's also worth mentioning here to BE ALERT on this stretch, the road is not great, and it's an EXTREMELY fast section)

5. Last bit of Grosvesnor road down to Witkoppen

6. Malibongwe just before Kya sands

7. Cedar down to the Jukskei crossing

IMO, these are the only places that you will be able to freewheel, and gather your thoughts, because the rest of the time is going to be a balls to the wall effort.

I don't want to put anyone off, but a sub 3 is not an "easy" ramble around JHB, and definitely doesn't allow water stops and pee breaks etc.

Couldn't agree more with number 4, VERY DANGEROUS section!

There must be a few of you with a Garmin - download the course and use the virtual partner to track your progress around the course.

Send to your device, from Garmin Connect... here is last year's route, using a time of 2:59:59. Link = http://connect.garmin.com/course/embed/8359773

Select course, and get all the benefits of the VP software on your Garmin.

The Problem with VP is that it doesn't take hills into account, only Virtual Racer in the top end models does. However that being said it is still a very useful tool to have.

If someone did manage a sub 3 and is willing to share their garmin file, that would be greatly appreciated as it will be based on ride time which accounts for the hills.

Edited by ScottC-M

I Will be taping the "Distance" and "Time" columns (As I don't know half the places names) of the following split time calculator that Gerald made to my top Tube. That way i can see if i am still in the ball park even at the 70km split which might give me that extra bit of motivation to stay in the ring the hammerman a bit longer than I would normally.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

What is cool about the sub-3 data is that the person rode 2 laps, at a steady pace for the most of the race and their second lap. So this is not a bunch time (at least not for the whole route). Edited by geraldm24

The Problem with VP is take hills into account, only Virtual Racer in the top end models does. However that being said it is still a very useful tool to have.

If someone did manage a sub 3 and is willing to share their garmin file, that would be greatly appreciated as it will be based on ride time which accounts for the hills.

The split time file I created was using actual data from Strava, so the average speeds you see on the table were the actual speeds on the route at each point for each person that I used.

The 947 route is a roller coaster ride, so you have fast, medium and slow sections spread throughout the route, unlike other races where there are longer faster sections, then a slower section - this is much harder to judge the pace.

The Problem with VP is take hills into account, only Virtual Racer in the top end models does. However that being said it is still a very useful tool to have.

I did a sub 3 (2:58:32) but I was fast in the first half, and slow in the second. Probably not what you want, but let me know if you want it anyway.

The split time file I created was using actual data from Strava, so the average speeds you see on the table were the actual speeds on the route at each point for each person that I used.

The 947 route is a roller coaster ride, so you have fast, medium and slow sections spread throughout the route, unlike other races where there are longer faster sections, then a slower section - this is much harder to judge the pace.

Which is why my thinking is still on the Witkoppen climb being a good point to see if we're on track or not (I normally forget to ever look down at my Garmin in a race, and I get confused if I've got too many milestones to try and remember. One point in the race is good for me).

The top of that climb is 74.5 km into the race, i.e. almost exactly 20 km to the finish.

Do you have a time for the top of the Witkoppen climb that equates to a 3 hr pace?

I did a sub 3 (2:58:32) but I was fast in the first half, and slow in the second. Probably not what you want, but let me know if you want it anyway.

Yes please , it will be something to work with

Which is why my thinking is still on the Witkoppen climb being a good point to see if we're on track or not (I normally forget to ever look down at my Garmin in a race, and I get confused if I've got too many milestones to try and remember. One point in the race is good for me).

The top of that climb is 74.5 km into the race, i.e. almost exactly 20 km to the finish.

Do you have a time for the top of the Witkoppen climb that equates to a 3 hr pace?

Looking at Gerald's "Distance" and "Time" columns, he has a 74.8km marker at 2:23:18, so round 2:20 - 2:22 should be good, what do you think?

The time would have been 02:20:59 at a 3hr pace, so use a +/- 2:20 - 2:22 like ScottC-M has mentioned above.

Looking at Gerald's "Distance" and "Time" columns, he has a 74.8km marker at 2:23:18, so round 2:20 - 2:22 should be good, what do you think?

Last year I had my worst race in years (arrived injured and then had full leg cramps forcing me to get off my bike twice in the last 5 climbs) and came in at 2:58.

I got to the top of Witkoppen in 2:16 already deep in trouble (after having to get off my bike for a bit on that climb) and then doddled along from there to the finish.

So if the group gets to the top of Witkoppen in around 2:16 - 2:17, there's still an excellent chance for someone who's completely blown to make it inside the 3 hr cut-off. It will be a breeze for anyone else who still had OK legs.

I think a time of 2:23 would require a relatively strong finish. You'd need to still be feeling relatively fresh at that stage and the team will have to stay together.

Edit: My target time for the group at the top of Witkoppen is 2:20.

Edited by tombeej

What group did you start in Gary?

Yes please , it will be something to work with

Click here for gpx

I was at the top of Witkoppen at 2:16:30.  I really went out too fast and blew in the second half :oops: