The I-Team

tombeej

I am keen to be part of a bunch of riders that will work together and create the perfect slip for those that choose to hang on. I am concerned about the "waiting" bit if that implies actually stopping. There won't be much room for that in a 3h ride.

It will also be cool to have mates for the second lap.

If that sounds like what you are planning Tombeej I would like to drop back and join.

We're not planning to stop.

Join us...

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/63/6336/NLU7100Z/posters/come-to-the-dark-side-we-have-cookies-funny-poster.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My main aim for this year is to do the first lap just under 3h and then to cruise for the second lap. I have been tempted to join the group but the margins are tight for the second lap.

It now appears that there will be several strong guys pulling and lots of interest in a second lap so am thinking that it can become something like the 2 Oceans "busses" where there are people setting the perfect pace and you are free to hang on as long as you can.

I am keen to be part of a bunch of riders that will work together and create the perfect slip for those that choose to hang on. I am concerned about the "waiting" bit if that implies actually stopping. There won't be much room for that in a 3h ride.

It will also be cool to have mates for the second lap.

If that sounds like what you are planning Tombeej I would like to drop back and join.

My original plan was always to ride for the guys in I batch, doing super domestique duties and trying to work for them to give them their best times possible, whatever they turn out to be.

As people started joining from other (higher) batches, it morphed somewhere to the goal being all about the sub-3 target, and I'm getting concerned that the original goal of just giving our time to ride for our fellow Hubbers in 'I' is getting a bit lost along the way.

I made the promise to them that I was coming to help and to ride for them, that I'll never just ride away from them if they're too slow for me, but if we all stick close together, share the workload in the pace line, and not leave others behind, we can get a great time. That hasn't changed for me, and I'm sticking to that promise. I'll be with them to the finish line.

When I talk about waiting at the top of climbs, I'm referring to the front of the bunch not just hammering on to get their sub 3 hr pace, but only to take their foot off the gas long enough to allow the rest of the group (that will be all strung out, esp. on the longer and steeper climbs) time to catch up and we're then ready to start pulling hard again.

If we just ride off and leave people behind, then what was the point of dropping back to this group in the first place?

I'm concerned that a few of our teammates in I batch are reading some of these posts from stronger riders and thinking to themselves, "well, that immediately counts me out then. I was never going for sub 3 and now all these fast guys are joining and I don't stand a chance of keeping up so I'm not so crazy about this idea anymore." That's definitely not what I was hoping for this thing.

The message to the faster riders dropping back to join the I-Team remains: we are forfeiting our own ambitions and goals for the race to help our teammates smash their own targets. This is all about them, not us. So if that means the group is only good enough for sub 3h15 then so be it.

Talus (and maybe Patch as well), if you're going for a second lap and you're concerned about not getting back in time for the last batch going off at 10h28, all I hope for is that you guys give us your full support for the first 70km (i.e. the bottom of the Witkoppen climb).

That means doing the work on the front at a good 3hr pace, but always to keep in mind that we're doing this for the teams goals, so we're not leaving people behind. We can easily make up the time again on the flatter sections, but only if the group stays together.

And then, at 70km you can check where we are and if you think we're going too slowly for you, you are welcome to turn on the afterburners and head off from there.

If you can just give us that first 70km it would be hugely appreciated from everyone, I'm sure.

Last note: even if we come in at 3h15 that means you still have 8 minutes before the last batch goes off. So if we finish in 3h05 or 3h10, you've still got masses of time to get back to the starting pens.

Hope you'll join us! But if you want to stick to your original plans, no problem at all - completely understandable :).

Edited by tombeej

Very well put. I am keen on helping and will happily moderate the pace as long as we can go if things get tight for the second lap.

I was there for the MTB today (and tmrw) I cannot see how the traffic will be any better than last year. Same old same old...

Riding the MTB on a full rigid tomrw - I hope it doesn't bring any bad karma.

Oh absolutely, it's is 100% about riding with the Hubuddies :)

The goal is to ride with the guys as a group till the end! If it means missing a second loop, so what, I can ride home via the cradle if I really need too.

I'm looking forward to meeting and riding with the Hub dudes, and that's the only ambition I have set for the day :)

Edited by Patchelicious

I'm looking forward to meeting and riding with the Hub dudes, and that's the only ambition I have set for the day :)

You're setting the bar low there...and will still be disappointed :P haha

I'm kidding, also looking forward to putting faces to the names and having people to work with instead of trying to solo it.

I must admit this sound fun. Thinking of doing it or thinking of helping out another friend in H and then latch on to your group. Or do my 1st VB start at 94.7

What to do?

Edited by Zatek

I must admit this sound fun. Thinking of doing it or thinking of helping out another friend in H and then latch on to your group. Or do my 1st VB start at 94.7

What to do?

I raced VD last year. At the end of Pooks Hill I was nicely set up for a solo 90km timetrial. Those boys are not there to enjoy the scenery /day /whatever.

What to do?

I raced VD last year. At the end of Pooks Hill I was nicely set up for a solo 90km timetrial. Those boys are not there to enjoy the scenery /day /whatever.

Well, surely that settles it...Zatek, we'll see you next Sunday morning ;)

rode the route from jhb cbd to steyn city today.. very tired legs and post bronchitus with only 2 hours sleep... 

the stretch from witkoppen to steyn city entrance is 16kms and took 30 mins at snails pace(Very slow up the drags) . Just some genral info if that helps the stats and calculations... urghh, dredding steyn city (lol)  :whistling:

Did the 55km MTB today and feel happy with what I have done.

Please add me to the "I" group, looking forward to a great ride with fellow hubers.

So my son did the Kiddies ride on Saturday, upon leaving I drove down the finish hill, Man oh man its going to hurt on tired and cramping legs, I can't wait :thumbup:

As Talus said, parking is going to be as bad as last year. Getting to the venue should be a lot better as the road works are finished. From the N1 Off ramp it took me 65 min last year to park my car by Gate E, I expect 30-45min this year from the N1 off ramp. Give yourself enough time guys. I will be leaving home between 4 and 4:30 to be there at Circle D at 6am. If early gives time to warm the legs up a bit. Rather early and relaxed than late and freaking out.

So my son did the Kiddies ride on Saturday, upon leaving I drove down the finish hill, Man oh man its going to hurt on tired and cramping legs, I can't wait :thumbup:

As Talus said, parking is going to be as bad as last year. Getting to the venue should be a lot better as the road works are finished. From the N1 Off ramp it took me 65 min last year to park my car by Gate E, I expect 30-45min this year from the N1 off ramp. Give yourself enough time guys. I will be leaving home between 4 and 4:30 to be there at Circle D at 6am. If early gives time to warm the legs up a bit. Rather early and relaxed than late and freaking out.

Repeat after me - hills are your friend.........

Yebo, half the battle on Sunday will be won if you come with the right attitude.

I proved this to myself this year when I arrived at a race not really wanting to be there, so decided that this will just be a hard training ride. Well, I couldn't hold onto the wheels, my legs were burning in the first 30km and the pace seemed way too hard. I limped home about 10 min behind my original target time.

A month later I was racing against the same people and because it was a race I'd been looking forward to the whole year as one of my big goals, I was so up for it - I couldn't wait to get going and do some real 'suffering'. That day I was leading those same people over the climbs into the final 30km of the race and finished strong.

I'm not sure how many people have read up on Noakes' central-governor theory, but I am definitely someone who believes it exists.

Here's a good article, well worth the read: Fatigue: Mind over muscle.

So the message is: in the corniest Yankee tradition, come to the race on Sunday ready to kick a$$. Come ready to suffer, look forward to the mental battle in the last 24km. If you come with the right attitude, you should expect to get a much better time.