Road bike punctures

Belgarath

Hi guys

I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything specific to my problem.

I'm a roadie noob. I'm borrowing a road bike for 94.7. I've had four punctures in the last four rides. It's rather irritating.

Can any roadie supply some tips/tricks of the trade so that I can actually finish rides? Normally, we mtb'ers have big, chunky, tubeless tyres filled with sealant, so punctures don't actually happen.

I do have a puncture repair kit, as well as a spare tube riding along, but trying to wrench these wire-beaded Vredesteins off the rim, trying to find the blasted hole, patching it, and only then re-engage the wrestling match to get the tyre back on, while cars are whizzing past, is not exactly fun. :cursing: My riding buddy (also actually a mtb'er) tried sealant in his. The sealant came out so fast with the high tyre pressure, that he got coated from shoes to helmet. There is also not enough air in the tube so that the sealant can do its job.

This afternoon I'm training on my mtb again...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get new tyres

Be vigilant on the route for sharp objects

At coffee stop, check tyres for any stuck objects

After ride, check tyres again

Use super glue to fill any small cuts or abrasions in rubber

Run pressure less than maybe 7.5 bars (I weigh 69-70 and run at 6.5 bars) as this minimizes pinch punctures.

Take the bike into a bike shop and get them to check the tyre liner on the wheel, sometimes this kinda wears out and gets sucked into the holes and can cause a puncture. Check the inside of the tyre to make sure that there's no glass or anything along those lines which keeps puncturing the tube. Make sure you don't pinch the tube by mistake when putting it back on. I had that issue previously where almost every ride I was getting a puncture so I took my wheel in and they changed my tyre lining and not a single puncture since then.

What kind of punctures are you getting? Cuts, thorns, or pinch flats?

There could  be something stuck in the tire. I had a metal filament once, so fine not easy to detect, got 5 punctures before I found it.

I run at 6 bar front and 7 rear with no issues and a nice comfortable ride.

A simple process of elimination (and a bit of cash) will sort it out.

Remove the tyres and tubes

Check the rim tape. If it is old, brittle, or damaged in any way, replace it.

Check the tube. If it has lots of patches, replace it. Check the valve too.

Check the inside of the tyre. Anything sharp stuck in there? Remove it

Check the outside of the tyre. If worn, replace it. If small cuts, clean and superglue them.

Reassemble. Pump to correct pressure, normally around 8 bar is a good starting point.

Problem solved.

Just a question, are you running tire liners by any chance? The kind that goes between the tube and the inside of the tire.

If so, throw them away, the overlap causes pinch flats on the tube.

Do yourself a favour and put 700 x 23/25c Conti Gatorskins on, you will almost never have to deal with a flat wheel again.

Watch out for those repeat punctures, as been mentioned, when one does not clean / clear the tyre area properly before replacing a tube.

Edited by ' Dale

What kind of punctures are you getting? Cuts, thorns, or pinch flats?

There could be something stuck in the tire. I had a metal filament once, so fine not easy to detect, got 5 punctures before I found it.

I run at 6 bar front and 7 rear with no issues and a nice comfortable ride.

All causes were found and dealt with (sworn at and thrown into the bush). Noob roadie, not noob cyclist :-) 1 cut, 1 metal filament, 2 thorns.

Repair tubes once maybe twice max, throw them away then. Their must be something inside the tyre that is causing it. Check for glass pieces that is in between the rubber also.

All causes were found and dealt with (sworn at and thrown into the bush). Noob roadie, not noob cyclist :-) 1 cut, 1 metal filament, 2 thorns.

This must be your bad luck then.

Worn tires are the biggest cause of punctures, so maybe get new ones if you're are shot.

These are rather ancient. Will do.