New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but this thread is like faceshit. Don't dare bring up anything that may not fit into the perfectly happy lives of the expat regulars. Do not be fooled, people have their shît there too.

1 - If you don't like it, don't read it.

2 - Yes we have problems to, it is different than SA and this forum gives us the chance to share our good our bad and our ugly with other cycling-loving-exZAR-newKiwis.

Sure, but this thread is like faceshit. Don't dare bring up anything that may not fit into the perfectly happy lives of the expat regulars. Do not be fooled, people have their shît there too.

I think I have mentioned quite a few bads here, I definitely put the non-happy side of things on my Facebook for all the people constantly asking how my experience are and if I would recommend the move etc.

Inside me is a constant rollercoaster, because I struggle to fit in here so much more than anywhere else I have been (although it is a general issue of mine). I don't have soft edges when facing a strange world; and even more so in the work place. My approach is firm straight lines, these people here, they need silk gloves and time and patience and kissing ass...There is no drive, no urgency and it is driving me insane, everything is touchy-feely-feelings-bullsh1t...I cant see how the All Blacks are such hard men to be honest.

To get away from feeling like this I go ride (mostly, sometimes walk/run) and because this is a cycling forum and a thread about NZ I tend to post more about those things, but it definitely does not take away that I go through moments of struggle every single day (and it has been 1 year and 2 weeks for me here now).

Do I think about moving back? Never.

Is there some other country I want to move to now? Not yet.

Do I wish some things could be different here? On a daily basis.

I will say this over and over again - a move like this is not easy. Even if it was very very easy/comfortable done for me by the company - the admin was taken care of, but the emotions is my own thing to deal with and that is where the personality (and support system) comes into play. For each person it will be different. And it is what you want to make of it I guess.

Actually, you are 100% correct. There is a dark ugly side to this.

We have spoken about it before.

Off the top of my head, here are some of my "uglies"

1. I miss my mates

2. The winter days are short and this pisses me off.

3. There is a crystal meth problem in some areas

4. The meth problem leads to petty burglaries etc

5. The ground shakes occasionally

6. We are very close to Australia and that means Australians

7. Houses are pretty expensive

But as with most things in life, I suppose its not what happens around you that's important, but rather how you deal with it, so here is my opinion on the above (use the numbers for a guide)

1. I get to make new mates and remain in contact with my old ones.

2. the summer is absolutely epic and i can fit in a 5 hour bike ride AFTER work and still come home in daylight - the winters bring snow and snow sports.

3. this is a worldwide issue and i cannot see any difference with most countries

4. very little murder takes place that is not family related. so yes, someone might break into my car parked in the street at night and steal my wallet that i carelessly left on the dashboard, but i wont be shot for my wallet in the street.

5. average of 3 people die per year due to earthquakes versus 60 murders per day in South Africa. ill take my chances with the earthquake.

6. Melbourne is pretty cool and we pop over for long weekend holidays. 

7. It took me quite a few years before i began developing a property portfolio in RSA, its unreasonable for me to expect to walk into a new country and start where i left off. But there is an opportunity for motivation and goals here. I made mistakes in RSA, this time, I wont make the same ones.

In summary, there is some **** here, but a lot less than RSA (at least for me) i love living here and have been welcomed with open arms. I can see how much more relaxed my wife and children are. you have to experience it to understand it. it has made all of the negatives worthwhile. So yes, there are negatives, but in comparison, its petty small things compared to the negatives back in RSA.

Tell me 123Goat, have you been to NZ before? Not being a knob, I genuinely want to know.

I think I have mentioned quite a few bads here, I definitely put the non-happy side of things on my Facebook for all the people constantly asking how my experience are and if I would recommend the move etc.

Inside me is a constant rollercoaster, because I struggle to fit in here so much more than anywhere else I have been (although it is a general issue of mine). I don't have soft edges when facing a strange world; and even more so in the work place. My approach is firm straight lines, these people here, they need silk gloves and time and patience and kissing ass...There is no drive, no urgency and it is driving me insane, everything is touchy-feely-feelings-bullsh1t...I cant see how the All Blacks are such hard men to be honest.

To get away from feeling like this I go ride (mostly, sometimes walk/run) and because this is a cycling forum and a thread about NZ I tend to post more about those things, but it definitely does not take away that I go through moments of struggle every single day (and it has been 1 year and 2 weeks for me here now).

I will say this over and over again - a move like this is not easy. Even if it was very very easy/comfortable done for me by the company - the admin was taken care of, but the emotions is my own thing to deal with and that is where the personality (and support system) comes into play. For each person it will be different. And it is what you want to make of it I guess.

I have only been here for 7 weeks, but my experience has been exactly the same as per above! You cover it all (sure we not related  :oops: ) Maybe because we are in the same line of work and apparently have the same social behaviour issues :ph34r:.

Think this page is awesome, but then again, I fall in the "blow smoke up my @$#% because everything here is wonderful" category..............although:

I have only been here for 7 weeks, but my experience has been exactly the same as per above! You cover it all (sure we not related  :oops: ) Maybe because we are in the same line of work and apparently have the same social behaviour issues :ph34r:.

Think this page is awesome, but then again, I fall in the "blow smoke up my @$#% because everything here is wonderful" category..............although:

INTJ ......... that Myers-Briggs don't lie :D

INTJ ......... that Myers-Briggs don't lie :D

Thought I recognised a fellow INTJ!

So you will appreciate the following, and it may be applicable to posting online in general..... 

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”  Harlan Ellison

And before I get 3 pages of comments on the above whimsical statement, please note the following disclaimer:

INTJs are able to live by glaring contradictions that nonetheless make perfect sense – at least from a purely rational perspective :clap:  :blush: 

So you will appreciate the following, and it may be applicable to posting online in general..... 

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”  Harlan Ellison

And before I get 3 pages of comments on the above whimsical statement, please note the following disclaimer:

INTJs are able to live by glaring contradictions that nonetheless make perfect sense – at least from a purely rational perspective :clap:  :blush: 

You have no idea how many times this week I have been informed about the contradictions.... :D

This must be one of  my favorite: "INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know."

http://typelogic.com/intj.html

You have no idea how many times this week I have been informed about the contradictions.... :D

This must be one of  my favorite: "INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know."

Brilliant, even MORE IMPORTANTLY: other people don't know what I don't know, so no need to disappoint them!

Guess we should stop before we being told to get our own "single track" already :blush: :clap:

Looking forward to future rides! If I recall, I saw you once at Hakahana (at the door frame drop) and again at Wolwespruit? Was there with Chris Pearton, not sure if it was you though.

Thank you for your honest reply. I've also live out of SA and couldn't stand it. That's why I'm back. I respect your drive to make it work there. Sending positive S.A. vibes your way.

Actually, you are 100% correct. There is a dark ugly side to this.

We have spoken about it before.

Off the top of my head, here are some of my "uglies"

1. I miss my mates

2. The winter days are short and this pisses me off.

3. There is a crystal meth problem in some areas

4. The meth problem leads to petty burglaries etc

5. The ground shakes occasionally

6. We are very close to Australia and that means Australians

7. Houses are pretty expensive

But as with most things in life, I suppose its not what happens around you that's important, but rather how you deal with it, so here is my opinion on the above (use the numbers for a guide)

1. I get to make new mates and remain in contact with my old ones.

2. the summer is absolutely epic and i can fit in a 5 hour bike ride AFTER work and still come home in daylight - the winters bring snow and snow sports.

3. this is a worldwide issue and i cannot see any difference with most countries

4. very little murder takes place that is not family related. so yes, someone might break into my car parked in the street at night and steal my wallet that i carelessly left on the dashboard, but i wont be shot for my wallet in the street.

5. average of 3 people die per year due to earthquakes versus 60 murders per day in South Africa. ill take my chances with the earthquake.

6. Melbourne is pretty cool and we pop over for long weekend holidays.

7. It took me quite a few years before i began developing a property portfolio in RSA, its unreasonable for me to expect to walk into a new country and start where i left off. But there is an opportunity for motivation and goals here. I made mistakes in RSA, this time, I wont make the same ones.

In summary, there is some **** here, but a lot less than RSA (at least for me) i love living here and have been welcomed with open arms. I can see how much more relaxed my wife and children are. you have to experience it to understand it. it has made all of the negatives worthwhile. So yes, there are negatives, but in comparison, its petty small things compared to the negatives back in RSA.

Tell me 123Goat, have you been to NZ before? Not being a knob, I genuinely want to know.

Jip, I've seen the country as a tourist and I was amazed by what's on offer. As I mentioned in my reply to Hayley, I've lived abroad and hated it. I'm a saffa and that's why South Africa is my home. I'm genuinely interested, that's why I asked. Sorry if my post have rubbed sand into your vag. It wasn't intended to come across as trolling. I'll send a few extra positive S.A. vibes to you and yours too.

Jip, I've seen the country as a tourist and I was amazed by what's on offer. As I mentioned in my reply to Hayley, I've lived abroad and hated it. I'm a saffa and that's why South Africa is my home. I'm genuinely interested, that's why I asked. Sorry if my post have rubbed sand into your vag. It wasn't intended to come across as trolling. I'll send a few extra positive S.A. vibes to you and yours too.

And then you say this...  :w00t:

where did you live?

Please can the guys who are jealous of this thread please disappear!!!

I love this thread, I loved what I saw in NZ and I love our SA people there. I have more communication in this thread to them, than I do via whatsapp due to time zones.

This thread is informative, and really helps with personal issues, whether you in SA or NZ. So leave us alone, this is a happy thread!

And yes the grass is greener on the other side....as there is more sheep poo everywhere lol...

I cannot wait for the day that I can go back to NZ for a reunion!

Brilliant, even MORE IMPORTANTLY: other people don't know what I don't know, so no need to disappoint them!

Guess we should stop before we being told to get our own "single track" already :blush: :clap:

Looking forward to future rides! If I recall, I saw you once at Hakahana (at the door frame drop) and again at Wolwespruit? Was there with Chris Pearton, not sure if it was you though.

faaaaaaaark. 

Never had one of the MB tests and seen the results, but darn, if those 3 posts don't resonate with me! Joh. 

Again, I fail to see the point you're trying to make. This thread is about the personal experiences of hubbers in and around NZ. I don't understand your insistence that a random news story MUST be discussed? Why? What about all the other news stories that happen in NZ each day?

It almost sounds like you're trying very hard to convince yourself of something... EDIT: Seeing your later response, seems I was spot on!

Edited by GrahamS2