New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Our little South African-French-Kiwi.

Layla is perfect and kept us waiting an additional 6 days. We could not have asked for a more perfect birth story either, one midwife and dad doing it all by themselves and the whole 13 hours of labour was a magic experience (have photos of us laughing etc right through the pushing phase even which luckily only lasted 25min.)

I have full confidence in the way New Zealand deals with the whole pregnancy and birth and even post natal care for mom and baby. We decided to come home the same day as her birth although we could have stayed at a 'nice' birthing unit absolute free.

Because we decided to come home there were midwifes that came to visit us for the 1st 4 days checking up on the baby but also answering any questions we had, what's amazing is we can phone the birthing unit 24/7 and they help us with what ever we need (we had to phone twice already as we didn't know why she didn't want to stop drinking on day 2/3 in the middle of the night).

We have a very peaceful baby though, every night since the start (accept for that one night) we have to wake her to feed.

Happy. Tired, but extremely happy.

Congrats and enjoy every moment.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with davetapson. Something smaller to start off with.

Don't go full "adventure-executive" and hop straight on a 1200GS BMW.

Shot Patches - will def go smaller and lighter to get started. And also second hand because I am cheap :)

Congrats Hayley on your little shredder to be :D

all the best to you and the family

Layla is perfect and kept us waiting an additional 6 days. We could not have asked for a more perfect birth story either, one midwife and dad doing it all by themselves and the whole 13 hours of labour was a magic experience (have photos of us laughing etc right through the pushing phase even which luckily only lasted 25min.)

I have full confidence in the way New Zealand deals with the whole pregnancy and birth and even post natal care for mom and baby. We decided to come home the same day as her birth although we could have stayed at a 'nice' birthing unit absolute free.

Because we decided to come home there were midwifes that came to visit us for the 1st 4 days checking up on the baby but also answering any questions we had, what's amazing is we can phone the birthing unit 24/7 and they help us with what ever we need (we had to phone twice already as we didn't know why she didn't want to stop drinking on day 2/3 in the middle of the night).

We have a very peaceful baby though, every night since the start (accept for that one night) we have to wake her to feed.

Congrats, and enjoy every moment ..... really miss that "new baby smell" with my kids ... now they are just smelly boys :P