New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Why are you doing a VoC? You can apply for residency already

Unfortunately I'll be about 3 weeks short of 2yrs by the time I have to start at the hospital, and they need me to have a valid working visa in order to start. Plus from what I have seen, the Permanent Residency application can take around 3 months.

So yeah, I'll only be on a Work to Residence with them for a few weeks, then I'll file for PR.

I'm flying back to SA this coming weekend, so will try sort out all the paperwork I need (police clearance, and unabridged birth certificates etc).

Can't wait to file for PR though!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

We find out Monday if we are having a boy or a girl :D

The wait has been killing us just to see the little one again and we are quite excited to go buy our 1st items after Monday. (Have to say though that it seems like most of our things we will get off TradeMe because there are really good prices even for new things...and luckily the dad and I are both 'coin flippers' :blush: )

Through the last 20 weeks I have gathered many "good, bad and ugly's" of the pregnancy/maternity thing in NZ already, I will share in the near future.

I have a boy of 20 and a girl of 17...............Girls are far more challenging and the whole myth that Dad and daughter get along best is definitely not true in my case!

I have a boy of 20 and a girl of 17...............Girls are far more challenging and the whole myth that Dad and daughter get along best is definitely not true in my case!

so true.

I have an 8 year old boy and 3 girls 22,15,15. Girls are a handful!!!  For moms I think it is different type of bond than what dads have. 

so true.

I have an 8 year old boy and 3 girls 22,15,15. Girls are a handful!!!  For moms I think it is different type of bond than what dads have. 

I'm personally much closer to my dad than my mom, and it's generally the thing I've seen in most my friend houses....guess it's different in all cases

I'm personally much closer to my dad than my mom, and it's generally the thing I've seen in most my friend houses....guess it's different in all cases

I am very sporty and so is my son, hence the connection.

I can assume the same for you and your dad, also you are an engineer which is awesome and generally a male dominated industry ( please don't blast me )

Edited by coppi

I am very sporty and so is my son, hence the connection.

I can assume the same for you and your dad, also you are an engineer which is awesome and generally a male dominated industry ( please don't blast me )

It is very true.

And that is how the dad (also an engineer) and I plan to raise her, to be 'out there' /sporty. Both of us ride bikes and surf etc (yes I got my 4.5months belly into my wetsuit  ^_^  :blush:)  and just this past weekend we were at the beach and we were watching the little 6 or 7 year old girls getting on their surf boards paddling into the water by themselves and the dad going in later to help them get onto the 'bigger' green waves and we were even more happy as we knew we would have a little one raised like that too (instead of in the shops etc). He loves to windsurf too and constantly speak about this image he has in his mind of her standing in front of him and them doing it together. (So sweet.) 

This is what is a BIG GOOD about living in NZ, we can do this, raise our girl to be outside and not worry every second if we are not by her side all the time. (Yes this might also change over the time to come.) The father is from France and he says that even now there in the main towns/cities (as big as Auckland say) he wont feel it to be safe to do like here.

The only reason I guess I would hope for our 2nd one to be a son is for his surname to be carried forward; it is quite unique and he will be the last in his line to be able to make this happen.

It is very true.

And that is how the dad (also an engineer) and I plan to raise her, to be 'out there' /sporty. Both of us ride bikes and surf etc (yes I got my 4.5months belly into my wetsuit  ^_^  :blush:)  and just this past weekend we were at the beach and we were watching the little 6 or 7 year old girls getting on their surf boards paddling into the water by themselves and the dad going in later to help them get onto the 'bigger' green waves and we were even more happy as we knew we would have a little one raised like that too (instead of in the shops etc). He loves to windsurf too and constantly speak about this image he has in his mind of her standing in front of him and them doing it together. (So sweet.) 

This is what is a BIG GOOD about living in NZ, we can do this, raise our girl to be outside and not worry every second if we are not by her side all the time. (Yes this might also change over the time to come.) The father is from France and he says that even now there in the main towns/cities (as big as Auckland say) he wont feel it to be safe to do like here.

The only reason I guess I would hope for our 2nd one to be a son is for his surname to be carried forward; it is quite unique and he will be the last in his line to be able to make this happen.

Wishing you all the best!

New Zealand has never really featured on my to visit list - for some odd reason, but my sister is in NZ at the moment and the photos she's been sharing around Mt Cook, on the glaciers - wow, what have I been thinking. Putting it on my list!!!

*I'm still available for adoption (this is to those of you in NZ already  :whistling: )

Just got back from 3 weeks in SA.

A bitter sweet trip really. I feel for those that have seen food prices almost double over the (nearly) 2yrs since I left.

I can also feel the tension and unrest in the air, especially as one sits in JHB traffic.

We had the privilege of traveling over much of SA. CT to Hoedspruit and many places in between.

Saw and experience many amazing places, and even learnt a lot about my home town (JHB) by taking the touristy open top bus tour.

And of course, it was great seeing family again.

But in the end I'm happy to be back in New Zealand, even though it means going back to work  :blink: :lol: