New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Why do they not like the Auzzie or American boats? I see they make strange Alu jet boats? Is there a problem with a Glass boat? In SA I only know of Glass boats besides the odd wooden boat. Then aren't sea boats meant to have double engines? But looking at the fact that no skippers is needed makes me wonder...

Kiwi boats are far better build quality (quite a bit more expensive, too).

Mine is a fibreglass boat, no issues there; you want a 'NZ CPC' hull, which is a build standard which basically means the thing won't sink even if it goes @rse up.

You don't need double engines, you need good maintenance and Coastguard; the theory goes that even if you did lose an engine, the CG would rescue you faster than you could get back to shore anyway. By far the majority of runabouts - that is, small trailer boats - have a single engine; even some of the bigger ones, up to 28 or 30ft, have a single engine...

As for no skippers, it is a fool who ventures onto the sea with all its dangers without the right sort of preparation - so, while you don't need a skippers, sensible folk will at the least do a day skipper with the Coastguard and get a radio operator's license before venturing onto the ocean. There's a fair bit that you need to know, all of which is essential for safety: rules of the road, navigation, equipment, handling the boat (at docks, etc, not in the open).

Of course, the PIs and Maori, by all accounts seafaring people, ignore all that  white man's nonsense and so tend to end up with mishaps and drownings and what have you.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF is wrong with NZ butter? :)

The same that's wrong with sa butter....hard to spread hence I preferred Butro

The same that's wrong with sa butter....hard to spread hence I preferred Butro

Nuke it.... :)

Butro is not good for you..... according to Tim....

Most of the things you SPREAD butter on are not good for you.... :)

Nuke it.... :)

Butro is not good for you..... according to Tim....

just don't put it in the fridge (unless it very hot)(which isn't going to happen in NZ). spreads fine.

Butro :thumbdown:

Yeah, just don't put the butter in the fridge and you'll be fine.

Wow, what a week. In have to keep remind myself this is only my 2nd weekend here.

I have my bank account sorted.

Have my IRD / TAX nr done.

I have found a place and started moving things in.

Started work on Tuesday and stated assembling test rig already and into a design for a chute for a quality part on a moulding machine. Love my colleagues, got invited to dinner etc already.

Got my drivers licence in the week, I'm 100% sure I got put through in the eye test (I could only see 2 columns etc).

Found a car, signed the contract today and waiting for it to go to the warrenty company (should get it on Tuesday ish).

Had dinners,coffees and meet ups with a few on here already. I've become the spare wheel in the Potgieters family. Haha

I'm still enjoying the spoils from living in the hotel.

Went for my 1st run today. Want to ride tomorrow again (I'll do a trip into the city harbour if it rains, if nice I'll go to the tails).

Did I say I'm loving it yet? !!

Wow, what a week. In have to keep remind myself this is only my 2nd weekend here.

I have my bank account sorted.

Have my IRD / TAX nr done.

I have found a place and started moving things in.

Started work on Tuesday and stated assembling test rig already and into a design for a chute for a quality part on a moulding machine. Love my colleagues, got invited to dinner etc already.

Got my drivers licence in the week, I'm 100% sure I got put through in the eye test (I could only see 2 columns etc).

Found a car, signed the contract today and waiting for it to go to the warrenty company (should get it on Tuesday ish).

Had dinners,coffees and meet ups with a few on here already. I've become the spare wheel in the Potgieters family. Haha

I'm still enjoying the spoils from living in the hotel.

Went for my 1st run today. Want to ride tomorrow again (I'll do a trip into the city harbour if it rains, if nice I'll go to the tails).

Did I say I'm loving it yet? !!

sounds like you have made the right choice.....

going to shoot over there in september to meet and greet..... hope it as pleasant as you guys make it sound

Edited by Richard29

Anyone found something similar to Butro here?

WTF is wrong with NZ butter? :)

Yeah, I just but real butter. It's NZ... their cows are magical!

So I had a busy weekend...

Queenstown - Check

Milford Sound - Check

Lake Wanaka - Check

Lake Tekapo - Check

Huge need to return to all of the above... CHECK!

Pics or we dont believe you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by Wayne Potgieter