Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Cheers, will wait to review the final points system.

Ya I guess it will be all about selling the data and anything they make on the watches is a bonus.

So for those non apple, will be be more as will have to get the phone as well...else sell the watch 

you don't HAVE to sell the watch. Sure, it'll have lost it's GPS functionality and most of its smart watch capabilities (cos it uses the iPhone for those) but it'll still be an activity tracker & non-gps HR monitor. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how much it will be for a renewing member for Team Vitality Cycling option for next year or will it be the same as a new member and they give you another shirt etc?  Will this years one be valid till March next year as it only got going at the end of Feb this year if memory serves me right?  I wonder how they choose which events to give you cash back or and which are 50% or 25%.  It seems like some big races sponosred by other insurance companies either get no cash back or just 25% like the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour by Liberty. 

I'm sure I read somewhere on my entry to the Discovery Duathlon that I was going to get 50% back from that entry fee......

Correct, if you are a Team Vitality member (running or cycling)

Nt retrospective, no. Not as far as I know, at least. I might be wrong though. 

As for the watch. 

You need a Disco credit card with R 6k available

You pay a R 350 activation fee

You get the watch

R 6k "0% interest loan" will be made on the card for a period of 2 years. R 6k sidelined, effectively (cost of the unit is R 6k)

Every month, the o/s value of the "loan" decreases by R 250

You pay (card is debited) according to how many goals you achieve in a given month:

0 goals: R 250 in that month

1 goal: R 175 in that month

2 goals: R 100 in that month

3 goals: R 50 in that month

4 goals: No payment in that month. 

The reason it's done as a loan on the card is just in case someone joins JUST to get the apple watch, and leaves after a month thinking they got a free watch. 

Flip - that is rather cool.. potentially.  I guess considering you can now get 3000 points on a long ride, the attractiveness of this is going to depend on how reasonable the goals themselves are...

No shirts for cycling team vitality next year, didnt see that listed on the email from them we got yesterday. Therefore I want to see their full list of money back on races before I sign up again.

Hey Myles - if you can, can you clarify a couple of things...

I gather that the watch rebate amounts etc are based on a particular version of the watch.  If you want to go for something a bit more expensive does the rebate then increase or how does that work?  Also, is it true that you are limited to one watch per family.

Then, re the additional flight discounts...  I booked flights through vitality for the whole family in March 2016 a couple of months ago...  Presumably then from 1 Jan the 5% discount per goal achieved will apply to these flights until the date we actually fly?  and is this then applied just to my own flight for my own goals, and to my wife's flight for her goals - or how does this work...  ? 

If you've already booked your fights, you wont get additional discount. I checked this with my Discovery consultant as I also wanted to book flights.

This benefit is only active from 1 January.

Regarding the watch, I'm pretty sure it's a standard watch everyone will get.

No shirts for cycling team vitality next year, didnt see that listed on the email from them we got yesterday. Therefore I want to see their full list of money back on races before I sign up again.

You want THAT shirt??? Ugh

That is def to Orange for my taste.....

If they can make a bib and shirt and a better design and colour scheme I will def buy it..

Such a roadie you are! Yes, I dont mind the colour - dark for MTB doesnt show mud unlike the silly w2w jerseys (ooooh I am going to get flamed for moaning again!) and the fit and quality is great. 

You want THAT shirt??? Ugh

We have decided to join Vitality to benefit from what sounds like rewards for living healthy...entering races etc.

This is gona be a lot more interesting than i expected... 

any tips on ways to make the most of vitality.

for example...i thought i would benefit by purchasing an edge 520 or 920 xt...and benefit from the 25 % (the key words "UP TO") discount...mmm if you go to the shops which offer the discounts you will find the prices are a little more than if you shop around...but then you get points etc.

Was considering doing another cadence class...unfortunately they dont have a suitable time...so instead i thought i would join a gym...then i could swim...run...and cycle....and even do a little weight training...you have to pay a "joining fee" up front...but get "up to" 80 % discount.

the bonus would be if someone here has lots of experience and tips to share.

Edited by isetech

I do, and would, but my faculties aren't 100% here at the moment. I'm on a course of codeine and anti inflammatories after my crash on friday. 

Have a look at the Team Vitality thread. Lots of useful info there. 

Joining fee for gym is i thin R 1,260 then you pay R 130 for the card. "Up to" means that if you go to gym 36 or more times per rolling 12 months, your discount is 80% (moves to 75% next year) and if you go less than 36 times per year it moves to 50% discount (this is for a single gym membership)

Next year you can get up to 100% off a single gym membership based on various things like activity, vitality status etc. So it becomes far more of a value proposition.

The discounts on fitness watches through the SW etc are maxed at 25% or R 500 per quarter (for a single member) and R 1,000 per quarter (for a family) so it is not the WHOLE cost that gets discounted. Some have been lucky and received 25% discount on the whole cost of the item, but I think that loophole has closed.

Healthy Food - 25% off at WW OR PnP, IF you do the health checks @ clicks / dischem and fitness assessment through a biokeniticist at VA or one of the Vitality Labs. If not, you get 10% off until you do those. Same with the SW discounts (HealthyGear, they call it)

Other benefits - up to 100% off flights with Kulula (excl taxes) from next year, travel discounts and and and... 

I'll post more when I can. 

Oh. Also. Next year it's going to be easier to get points through exercises that aren't registered with SA Active or are a nationally recognised thing with a timing chip. IE: where currently there is a max of 200 points for any activity recorded through a garmin / fitbit / polar etc with HR data, next year it will increase and will be awarded according to the duration and intensity of the exercise. As long as you record HR data... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I have the entire set up with discovery, vitality, credit card, life insurance...

the gym fee's are good if you will make use of it, I think I pay R129 a month for my local club.

Then you can link up devices, so for you a good multisport watch would be the best if you going to run/swim/cycle. You get bonus points which will help you get to gold quicker.

and its quite easy to get to Gold, complete all the tests, go to gym often and complete cycling events on their calendar which will boost your points. I got to Gold in about 4 months.

So if you get the card too, then you get discounts the higher your status, and cash back for healthy shopping at Pick n Pay.