Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Activity points should decay. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I don't upload any of my IDT sessions of which I do three a week and still I managed to max out my activity points weeks ago. Now I can sit on my butt for the rest of the year if I wanted to. Pointless. The idea has to be to keep you regularly active. If my points decayed at say 500 or even a thousand a week I would have to keep active all year.

As for the weekly rewards thing it's a nice idea and I had a go at it before working out I would rather have a warm glass of tap water than another Vida E coffee. I'm kind of indifferent to Kauai. Not worth finding one to claim the drink no Im not really a shopping mall person.

I have Mac computers and laptops. Also iPad and iPhone. Useful as a photographer. I have no interest in the watch at all. Now if it was a Garmin or top range Firbit with a gps I would be there.

The HR thing is a joke. They are using those tables and it's meaningless for me. According to Vitality my maz HR is 165. Actually my tested threshold is 175 and my max is 195. I can knock off a 3000 point ride without breaking a sweat.

The entire vitality has become an amusing exercise in futility for me.

My feelings exactly! Rather than getting people to waste tons of time on administering and de-bugging the achievement of the Vitality objectives (not to mention the huge investments Discovery must of made into creating the Vitality "life"), why not let the physically active members undergo fitness tests 3 times a year, or whatever, and reward them for p[rogress with discounts on medical aid and life insurance premiums?

Imagine the manure that's going to fly in the USA when Discovery has launched Vitality fully there, and they come up with sudden and dramatic changes from their initial offering!

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also on the favorable side of the coin as according to vitality my max HR is 190, where my actual max is 204. All my rides are currently being flagged as vigorous...

Something they might want to consider is to include a max HR test as part of the Elite Fitness Test. That way you can go for the test, they can capture your actual max HR and the system can work out your points from there.

If you don't go for the test your points will be based on the 220-age formula, which has a 15 beats up or down standard deviation if I remember correctly.

They are trying to encourage the correct behavior, but it is very difficult to get a points system that works for everyone as there are so many variables when it comes to a persons max HR.

The other thing they should reconsider is those long base sessions which will never hit the moderate or vigorous categories. If I go for a 4 hour base ride and I get zero points I wouldn't be to happy...

This would be great! But more logistical admin for them. I can understand that they are using a system that would "generally" suit the average Joe. Hopefully with time the system will become more refined and accurate. Perhaps someone from Discovery should be following this thread so they can see all the suggestions for improvement/refinement. 

It would also be cool if you could "earn" a peak performance test through say 3 months of hitting your weekly target. Those tests aren't cheap! Would also encourage people to understand their body and not constantly apply the one size fits all generalizations that they read on the internet.

Edited by wolver

Just got this in my inbox:

Vitality Active Rewards has been Vitality's most successful benefit to date. And while early data shows an average increase in physical activity of 21% among members, the support of a broad range of apps and devices has also highlighted certain issues regarding data reliability. We are therefore refining how you can earn Vitality points using fitness apps and devices.

As reported by many of our members, Strava integration has been problematic this year resulting in poor user experiences. In addition, we are no longer able to support third party integrations or devices that allow self-reported data. At this stage, verified and self-reported data on Strava cannot be differentiated on our platform and we are therefore in the process of discontinuing this method of integration from the Vitality programme, effective 2 April 2016.

If you have a Garmin or Polar device that is linked to Strava, you need to link directly to Vitality to continue earning Vitality fitness points.

If you have a TomTom or SUUNTO device linked through Strava, please log into our website and link your device before 18 March 2016.

Where do you link the TomTom (or SUUNTO) devices? Only thing I can see there in order to accomplish this is MapmyFitness, but that is also supposed to be decommisioned...(?)

In an interview with Health24 the Vitality CEO claims there are other free apps that are linked with Vitality and will continue to allow HR data uploading. Any idea what these are?

http://m.health24.com/health24/Medical-schemes/News/we-spoke-to-discovery-vitality-ceo-about-recent-changes-to-rewards-20160304

"Health 24: Are there free alternatives for the affected users? 

Shrey Viranna: There are free apps that fit the criteria that are integrated with us. "

Here's an idea, how about discovery creates a training app,similar to strava/endomondo,whereby your hr device can be linked to upload to the app,thus enabling them to track workouts.

Here's an idea, how about discovery creates a training app,similar to strava/endomondo,whereby your hr device can be linked to upload to the app,thus enabling them to track workouts.

Sounds like a wahoo hrm is gona be the next investment...need to figue out an affordable system which will work on my mtb...both road bikes and the IDT...

Can you explain, I use Heartmonitor with Strava and do not want to buy a new watch now. Just want to get the training I did onto Discovery.

Not to worry . Used google

Hi,

Did sync on tapiriik.

All activities synced onto Connect until the 2nd March. Checked this morning and Connect was paused. Reconnected and pressed sync again. Has been Queueing since 06:00. But still only data up to 2nd March Appears on Connect.

Discovery also indicate that it has not received any data from connect.

Anybody that can assist or have explanation?

Edited: See discovery now receiving info from Connect. Now just to get Tapiriik past the queueing bit

Edited by Cheese

The big joke still remains.

Almost NONE of my workouts carry a 70% HR ave.

I am fit.  My HR does not go there.

And if it does, it is because I push hard intervals. 

And even if I do 15 intervals of 2min each at max HR, my ave HR will not go over 70% if I ride my normal 2 hours.

So pretty much useless.

Hi,

Did sync on tapiriik.

All activities synced onto Connect until the 2nd March. Checked this morning and Connect was paused. Reconnected and pressed sync again. Has been Queueing since 06:00. But still only data up to 2nd March Appears on Connect.

Discovery also indicate that it has not received any data from connect.

Anybody that can assist or have explanation?

Edited: See discovery now receiving info from Connect. Now just to get Tapiriik past the queueing bit

my tapiriik is saying the same.

i have no doubt it's on their todo list. 

The Joburg android user group is run by the guys from Discovery.. smart bunch of guys - I think they'll have something out soon enough. 

Discovery answering comments in Facebook again...get yer kicks in now, folks.

Most important bit taken here:

Our prior recommendation of 60% for moderate and 70% for vigorous was below the ACSM recommendations and not fully aligned with Vitality’s targeted clinical outcomes. As our ability to track clinically relevant and verifiable data has improved, we have updated our heart rate workout recommendations to fall more in line with the international standard of moderate heart rate (fairly light to somewhat hard) being 64-75% and vigorous (somewhat hard to very hard) being 76-96%.

EDIT: They need to clarify this. Seems 2 people are answering, one linked the 80% for vigorous and another is saying the above bands will apply... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

And the full release...

Vitality fitness points refinements

Vitality is committed to making people healthier. On 2 April 2016, refinements will come into effect on how you can earn Vitality fitness points.

While we will continue to respond to you individually, here are answers to some of the questions you have been asking:

1. Why have you made changes to the Vitality fitness device and app partners?
The changes are designed to ensure Vitality remains clinically relevant based on credible and reliable data. In addition, the updates are intended to minimise the potential for gaming and abuse which is occurring through the capturing of unverified physical activity. In line with this, we will no longer be awarding Vitality points for certain devices and apps, the most commonly used being MapMyFitness, Strava, miCoach, Timex, Moves, and RunKeeper. In addition, heart rate data from fitbit devices does not currently appear in the format required by us to award Vitality points.

We have selected points-earning devices and apps on the basis of the ability to obtain reliable data, and ensuring that they represent the vast majority of points-earning activities currently being recorded by Vitality members.

You will continue to earn Vitality fitness points by using the following devices: Apple Watch, Samsung Gear Watch, Polar, Garmin, SUUNTO, TomTom, Jawbone, Fitbit, Fitbug, Withings and Misfit. In line with our clinical guidelines, more emphasis is being placed on verified heart rate data than unverified steps. You can also use the Apple Health app using an appropriate iPhone, or S Health through an appropriate Samsung phone, to track your steps and earn up to 100 Vitality fitness points a day for 10 000 steps or more.

Device and app partners will be reviewed on a regular basis and added when all the relevant criteria are met.

2. How will I achieve my Vitality Active Rewards goal now that it is harder to earn Vitality fitness points? 
To ensure a smooth transition for those on Vitality Active Rewards, certain members’ Vitality Active Rewards goals will be recalculated on a personalised basis to account for the points changes. This will take effect in April 2016.

3. Why has Strava been delinked?
As reported by many of our members, Strava integration has been problematic this year, which has negatively impacted on Vitality’s ability to deliver the necessary support and service to our members. In addition, we are no longer able to support third party integrations or devices that allow self-reported data. At this stage, verified and self-reported data on Strava cannot be differentiated on our platform and we are therefore in the process of discontinuing this method of integration from Vitality, effective 2 April 2016.

4. I don’t have a fitness device – how do I earn points now if I don’t want to get one?
There are many ways to earn your fitness points. We are placing more emphasis on data which is verifiable and clinically relevant. If you don’t have a separate fitness device, you can still use the Apple Health app using an appropriate iPhone, or S Health through an appropriate Samsung phone, to track your steps and earn up to 100 Vitality fitness points a day.

You can earn 100 Vitality fitness points for visiting one of our partner gyms, taking part in a workout at one of our Vitality Fit partners, or taking part in a Run/Walk For Life workout. You can also earn 300 Vitality fitness points for participating in a free park run, as well as up to 3 000 Vitality fitness points for taking part in selected timed and verified race events.

5. Why – and on what scientific basis – have you changed the heart rate levels? 
Our clinical guidelines are based on the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommendations. As the largest sports medicine and exercise science organisation in the world, ACSM guidelines are globally one of the most credible sources around exercise prescription.

Our prior recommendation of 60% for moderate and 70% for vigorous was below the ACSM recommendations and not fully aligned with Vitality’s targeted clinical outcomes. As our ability to track clinically relevant and verifiable data has improved, we have updated our heart rate workout recommendations to fall more in line with the international standard of moderate heart rate (fairly light to somewhat hard) being 64-75% and vigorous (somewhat hard to very hard) being 76-96%.

6. Will my steps still count? 
Yes, you can earn 100 Vitality points for completing 10 000 steps or more in a day. This is in line with global health guidelines which recommend a combination of moderate and vigorous activity during the week. The removal of 300 points for 12 500 steps and the focus on a daily target of 10 000 steps and maximum 100 points a day is designed to encourage members to be active regularly during the week.

If you were using an app that will no longer link with Vitality, you can still use S Health through an appropriate Samsung phone or the Apple Health app using an appropriate iPhone to track your steps and earn up to 100 Vitality fitness points a day.

7. Why are you encouraging me to over-train?
We do not endorse nor do we encourage members to attempt to earn their points solely by taking part in one long, vigorous workout or event, but rather through several workouts throughout the week.

Vitality members are encouraged to take part in regular, moderate/vigorous physical activity most days of the week for at least 30 minutes a day – in line with global health guidelines. As such, the 100 to 300 points ranges remain within reach of our members. Our 1 500 and 3 000 points categories are in place to recognise our high performance athletes who occasionally take part in a longer distance event. While these points categories recognise members for taking part in activities like marathons, we know that members who do so will also earn points through frequent physical activity over the course of a week in order to train for these events.

To ensure a smooth transition for those on Vitality Active Rewards, certain Vitality Active Rewards members’ goals will be recalculated on a personalised basis to account for the points changes.