Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I don't understand how this isn't possible. I am by no means a computer guru, but that is one of the most basic aspects of any database - a free field that could be used to distinguish a manual upload.

FWIW, in my circle, The people who will stop using this if appear to be the Average Joe's and Josephines who have taken the simplicity of the system and used it. Disco has the resources to solve this and should not be transferring the responsibility to clients if their intention is to maintain fitness levels and save medical related costs. (Or should have delayed implementation until they found the verifying solution) Unfortunately, it seems to me that the revision is a bit ill-conceived. My 2c. Hope I'm wrong.

As kind of an IT guru, this information is recorded in the database, however its not a field\property that is sent to the a third party system like Vitality. This is Something that Strava will have to change on there side in the responses in order for Vitality to recognize Strava again.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious to see/know how many people are using this and how high your goal points are.

I only recently started with this, so my Vitality Active Rewards are now on 400 point for this week, which I achieve easily at the moment. Getting a smoothie very easy for now :w00t:  

Is there a maximum goal points or do it increase weekly till end of the year? 

Warning to all, i recently discover d im not getting my 25% back from dischem. Discovery linked me and sent me the dischem vitality card... But till now said no im not linked.

Any Case after alot of back and forth if been phoned 3 times each time my card nr was taken. I also went to dischem and pulled a 3 month record and i and now demanding a backdated cash back due to their screw up.

For me it will be close to the max per month as i buy all the baby stuff etc from dischem.

Edited by RoboJedi

I think the max the points goal can reach is 1200 points. Mine hovers around that levels. Also they changed the requirements for points. You would probably need two solid 3hr efforts to reach a 3000 points goal from 1 April. 

No need to read 147 pages, just read the vitality website.

Your target will be capped at 1200 points, not 3000. And disco are changing the point allocations, so best to catch up on some reading so you don't lose out.

Won't be soo easy to get 3000points going forward

My rewards requirement was at 1200 the moment I signed up. I signed up because I was under the impression that me reaching my target would enable me to donate Teddy Bears to under privileged children. It's a long story, don't ask. Any way I hit my target easily in a day but have no need or interest in any of the rewards. Still I check and am always pleased when I hit the target. Watching the unclaimed smoothies accumulate and then expire. More fun than Facebook but not by much.

OK, so maybe I missed the point - if so, please help me. People complain that by Strava not being recognised anymore, they cannot earn points to "pay off" their Apple Watches. But by just using your Apple Watch, you can earn all the points you need! - automatically ...

Strava does allow for self- registry by using +, thus it allows unverified data - period. People use that function to cheat, so blame them, not Discovery. I happen to have a Garmin device as well, but once its battery was flat, and I still received my ride's points because of the Apple watch. Also, I do a lot of indoor training (running and cycling), and get all my points with my Apple watch. And by the way, I am a Strava premium member - but use that only for bragging rights

If you're serious about training, you need to work at least with your HR, and that is what Discovery promotes. I like their initiatives!

Strava still gets you points, but as of 2nd april it won't anymore. You'll get a MAX of 100 points for any workout that doesn't have HR data.

Garmin / Polar / Fitbit etc.

If the strava data has HR and Watts and cadence etc, will it then be accepted by discovery?

OK, so maybe I missed the point - if so, please help me. People complain that by Strava not being recognised anymore, they cannot earn points to "pay off" their Apple Watches. But by just using your Apple Watch, you can earn all the points you need! - automatically ...

Strava does allow for self- registry by using +, thus it allows unverified data - period. People use that function to cheat, so blame them, not Discovery. I happen to have a Garmin device as well, but once its battery was flat, and I still received my ride's points because of the Apple watch. Also, I do a lot of indoor training (running and cycling), and get all my points with my Apple watch. And by the way, I am a Strava premium member - but use that only for bragging rights

If you're serious about training, you need to work at least with your HR, and that is what Discovery promotes. I like their initiatives!

So i got an apple watch but i dont wear it when i go out cycling, i just dont believe in carrying a 15k phone when i cycle alone (most of the time) and carry a alcheapo just for emergencies.

I use a bryton rider 50. And for me to get the same functionality out of a lets say a garmin will cost me upwards of 7k. Why spend that money when mine works perfectly. Then i rather pay the 5k watch which works out cheaper.

Why didn't they say anything in their press release regarding trying to contact strava to get something working (the same they did with suunto and fitbit) why just say no? and here is my theory, its because they "believe" too many people are cheating, i think they did crap analysis and now sitting to fork out millions.

As kind of an IT guru, this information is recorded in the database, however its not a field\property that is sent to the a third party system like Vitality. This is Something that Strava will have to change on there side in the responses in order for Vitality to recognize Strava again.

Yup, I understand that, and what I meant is that it shouldn't be hard to get Strava to integrate the extra field? They must have done quite a lot of integration work initially and one extra flag shouldn't be a huge hassle to send? No?

Strava still gets you points, but as of 2nd april it won't anymore. You'll get a MAX of 100 points for any workout that doesn't have HR data.

Garmin / Polar / Fitbit etc.

In my haste, I missed this bit. So it's NOT just about data verification, and 'cheating' - you have to have heart rate data? Even if linking my Garmin? I dislike wearing a heart rate monitor so much... :(

Used to have GC > Strava > Vitality so have just changed it to be GC > Vitality and GC > Strava ... lets see how it goes now

Never had any problems up till now with synching  :thumbup:

If the strava data has HR and Watts and cadence etc, will it then be accepted by discovery?

Only if it's differentiated between an uploaded / user generated exercise and strava recorded, and is thus verifiable

Yup, I understand that, and what I meant is that it shouldn't be hard to get Strava to integrate the extra field? They must have done quite a lot of integration work initially and one extra flag shouldn't be a huge hassle to send? No?

yup thats correct, it should be fairly easy from there side to do.