Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

At the rate that I was earning points from my weakly commute via Strava I was actually considering getting myself an Ambit3.

I even convinced the missus to buy me one for my upcoming birthday…

I’d be somewhat vexed if I’d spent all that money on a device that not supported by Vitality

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip, they've hooked a good few people and now seriously moved the goal posts.

Who can ride at 80% for 210 min ?

Discovery is taking lessons from the government, eskom, etc

I feel anally violated

I've been following  this topic since the beginning but have obviously missed quite a few posts, so apologies if this has already been answered before. I went to get my watch on the 1st of December when this thing launched. 2 weeks ago I missed my first weekly goal.

Either I'm stupid or the rules are written in a way that doesn't make it 100% clear, but will I now be paying the 25% "penalty" (1) over the balance of the 24 month period, (2) over a full 24 month period of (3) only for this month and if I reach all my goals again this month don't pay anything?

IMO, Strava should have a flag that indicates the source of the data and Discovery uses that flag to determine if it will recognize the data.

^^^^^ this !!!!!!!

I've been following  this topic since the beginning but have obviously missed quite a few posts, so apologies if this has already been answered before. I went to get my watch on the 1st of December when this thing launched. 2 weeks ago I missed my first weekly goal.

Either I'm stupid or the rules are written in a way that doesn't make it 100% clear, but will I now be paying the 25% "penalty" (1) over the balance of the 24 month period, (2) over a full 24 month period of (3) only for this month and if I reach all my goals again this month don't pay anything?

Its done on a monthly basis. Each month you can either meet all goals and pay nothing or pay depending on how many you missed.

They basically charge R120 bucks to the credit card for every week you do not reach the target...

They basically charge R120 bucks to the credit card for every week you do not reach the target...

As a non-member I can perhaps look at it more objectively.

- Discovery/vitality is a business, thus they want to keep making their 20% (or whatever) return

- They found a "moral*" advantage in that they have this vitality thing which encourages people to exercise, and are willing to pay for it, because it will reduce their costs later (saw something about 7% less hospitalizations for fit people, but don't quote me on that**)

- They seem to have made some miscalculations (which in any case is just a forecast, because their costs in 20 years for fit people might decrease more than they think)

- They have to rectify the miscalculation (same for if shoprite misadvertises a price they might keep that price for past purchases, but will change price for the future)

- There are always the 5% (you can use 10% or 1%, but same principle) that messes it up for everyone else, the cheaters!

*Moral in inverted commas, because they are getting people to exercise more - great!! - but they are not doing in out of love, but out of a profit motive. It's a cynical stance by me, but they have not shown me otherwise. Good philosophical debate!

**In communication sent to members, Discovery says its research shows that one additional workout per week reduces the risk of hospitalisation by 7% http://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/companies-and-deals/vitality-active-rewards-or-punishment/

As a non-member I can perhaps look at it more objectively.

- Discovery/vitality is a business, thus they want to keep making their 20% (or whatever) return

- They found a "moral*" advantage in that they have this vitality thing which encourages people to exercise, and are willing to pay for it, because it will reduce their costs later (saw something about 7% less hospitalizations for fit people, but don't quote me on that**)

- They seem to have made some miscalculations (which in any case is just a forecast, because their costs in 20 years for fit people might decrease more than they think)

- They have to rectify the miscalculation (same for if shoprite misadvertises a price they might keep that price for past purchases, but will change price for the future)

- There are always the 5% (you can use 10% or 1%, but same principle) that messes it up for everyone else, the cheaters!

*Moral in inverted commas, because they are getting people to exercise more - great!! - but they are not doing in out of love, but out of a profit motive. It's a cynical stance by me, but they have not shown me otherwise. Good philosophical debate!

**In communication sent to members, Discovery says its research shows that one additional workout per week reduces the risk of hospitalisation by 7% http://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/companies-and-deals/vitality-active-rewards-or-punishment/

The moral question aside, this is more like those Stikeez things that were a 'nice' value added, 'get something back' if you spend a fortune... Also ended up grating people. Except Discovery gave something people actually want. And you can beat the cheaters with a stick of they can be named and shamed. Try doing that with someone's obnoxious kid in a queue. (Not sure what my message is... Just pointing out the 'moral' thing isn't quite as deep at most companies offering value back..)

Love this bit from the MoneyWeb article: “In those instances I can understand why somebody may be aggrieved that the benefit is changing or the comment about the bottom line, but if our underlying premise and principle is about shifting and encouraging behaviour [changes] then you would understand that inherently in that there has to be change.” Yep. Folks will most certainly start changing their medical aids, insurance and investments

There’s a lot of anger towards Discovery now but I can’t see them revoking the changes that they’ve announced. Members will bluster and complain but they’re contractually bound to keep paying for their watches and credit cards.

I assume that on cancellation the full outstanding fees for gym memberships, etc become payable immediately?

This probably won’t make a difference to their existing membership count but the impact on future database growth (both locally and internationally) must still be quantified.

Their credibility has gone for a ball of crap and this will affect their ambitions of entering the banking/cell phone market

Dr Shrey Viranna will probably have to fall on his sword where after the company will gloss over this unfortunate incident by launching some shiny new product like drop-shipping overpriced vitamins and supplements using drones

I am a bit lost here and can'f find the answer scrolling through the topic.

My STAVA still linked to Vitality. Does that not count any more. What does vitality accept now - Garmin Files / Trainingpeaks ??? Also looked at the Vitality web and it still shows my Strava as linked

My STAVA still linked to Vitality. Does that not count any more. What does vitality accept now - Garmin Files / Trainingpeaks ??? Also looked at the Vitality web and it still shows my Strava as linked

2nd of april.

Strava still gets you points, but as of 2nd april it won't anymore. You'll get a MAX of 100 points for any workout that doesn't have HR data. 

Garmin / Polar / Fitbit etc.