Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

16 minutes ago, Jono said:

Is it possible to buy/convert cash in your discovery transaction account to discovery miles?

Not as far as I know.  Its one way traffic from points to cash only.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Not as far as I know.  Its one way traffic from points to cash only.

Damn ok, trying to make this double miles day work for me 

On 9/13/2023 at 3:27 PM, Dexter-morgan said:

My wife converts her points into Dischem vouchers and very often we have a few R100 vouchers to spend, I am done with jumping through hoops, I am on Multiply through the work's Group life cover and get much better usable rewards.

Multiply will be falling away very soon though. 

back here again.

switched to the vitality endurance option, so 1200 goal per week.

did a rather large 180km gravel ride yesterday.

average HR was 107bpm, (not sure if the might have been the 90 minutes stopping time, bit of sightseeing and garage pies to negotiate along the way).

this was only worth 100 points, 30min+ speed data only.

is that right, distance doesn't really factor?

(got both strava and suunto apps linked)

Just now, Shebeen said:

back here again.

switched to the vitality endurance option, so 1200 goal per week.

did a rather large 180km gravel ride yesterday.

average HR was 107bpm, (not sure if the might have been the 90 minutes stopping time, bit of sightseeing and garage pies to negotiate along the way).

this was only worth 100 points, 30min+ speed data only.

is that right, distance doesn't really factor?

(got both strava and suunto apps linked)

They’re really only interested in heart rate data, and then it’s all based on zones using 220-age. For the 600 points, you need to be 60-70% of 220-age for >2 hours.

Note, that you are not their target market.

26 minutes ago, Frosty said:

They’re really only interested in heart rate data, and then it’s all based on zones using 220-age. For the 600 points, you need to be 60-70% of 220-age for >2 hours.

ok, makes perfect sense now! is there a cheat sheet for this (official or otherwise)?

did a rapid trail race on saturdaywith some HR redlining, took 1:55. Just realised if i just pushed stop after 2:01 then i'd get more points. silly!

For the Endurance option you need to a achieve the following

60min at 70%-79% - 300 points

90min at 70%-79% - 450 points

120min at 70%-79% - 600 points

180min at 60%-69% - 600 points

There's some other in-between options.
What I normally aim for is a 3hrs ride on a Saturday & Sunday and that gives 1200 points - Weekly goal completed !!

8 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ok, makes perfect sense now! is there a cheat sheet for this (official or otherwise)?

did a rapid trail race on saturdaywith some HR redlining, took 1:55. Just realised if i just pushed stop after 2:01 then i'd get more points. silly!

It depends on your willingness to “game” the rewards program, versus having the correct data being used for real analytical use, eg. TrainingPeaks, Intervals.icu, etc.

Simple way would be to stop the workout after 2 hours and start again for the remainder of the ride. Fitfiletools can be used to merge the two files for use in the analytical apps. However, you shouldn’t import this amended file into the same app linked to Vitality, but rather directly into the other apps, as you’ll end up with two files doubling your mileage and other metrics.

Another option is to crop the ride in Fitfiletools, but I have found the average HR still shows for the full duration rather than the cropped duration.

1 minute ago, Cyclewizz said:

For the Endurance option you need to a achieve the following

60min at 70%-79% - 300 points

90min at 70%-79% - 450 points

120min at 70%-79% - 600 points

180min at 60%-69% - 600 points

There's some other in-between options.
What I normally aim for is a 3hrs ride on a Saturday & Sunday and that gives 1200 points - Weekly goal completed !!

Thanks.

not being on the option, I don’t see the targets. Now I know why an ex-member was pushing his HR a bit on an easy 2-hour ride; it was to get 70-79% rather than the 60-69%.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 9:19 PM, Bub Marley said:

Anyone know if they are going to update the Team Vitality calendar for the last quarter. 

just comparing it to last year, there’s hardly any races qualifying for cash back. In 2022, so many more races qualified for cash back. 

So just an update on this for anyone who cares or who signed up for  team vitality. 

After going back and forth with them for over 2 months, they finally started adding the missing races which counted last year but were missing on the calendar for 2023. Is pretty ridiculous that I had to literally go at them non stop for what is basically just a complete lack of interest on their part to update the calendar. But anyways, they finally did it which means at least 50% back on 2 races I did plus another 2 coming up which they confirmed will be added as well. Makes the membership worth it now. 

2024 rates launched.

Speak to your broker for the details.

PS - three of the Comprehensive plans fall away ... getting VERY expensive for people on the extended chronics list ...

EDIT - many plans will have a 5% REDUCTION in MSA ....  Premiums UP, cover LOWER ....

Edited by ChrisF

This may help with those long slow rides..."It will also introduce new points allocations for ‘exercise snacking’, which is 15 minutes of moderate or high intensity workouts that earn 100 Vitality points, “as well as longer duration low intensity workouts that earn 200 and 300 Vitality points to encourage and recognise endurance training”.

Just check that reduction in premiums...it goes with a reduction in MSA contributions, so actual increase is closer to 10% + - bunch of scheisters!

On 9/18/2023 at 9:54 AM, Frosty said:

I often have to remind myself of this - I'm not their target market.  Did the Prime View Sprint Triathlon this weekend - used the Multisport function on my Garmin because that's what a Triathlon watch is for right? 600m swim - 10mins. 12km MTB - 27mins. 3km run 14mins.  Total time - 53mins.  Total points - zero.  3 activities, high HR but all under 30mins.

Luckily I'm an old hand at this and cycled with my Bike Garmin which I left running in Transition for an hour to get 300 points.  Crazy that you should have to game the system, but yup - not their target market.

Crazy how you can do a sprint triathlon which is proper exercise and get Zero points, yet you can eat KFC sitting on the couch watching TV at a Virgin Active Gym and earn 100 points.....

51 minutes ago, Andymann said:

I often have to remind myself of this - I'm not their target market.  Did the Prime View Sprint Triathlon this weekend - used the Multisport function on my Garmin because that's what a Triathlon watch is for right? 600m swim - 10mins. 12km MTB - 27mins. 3km run 14mins.  Total time - 53mins.  Total points - zero.  3 activities, high HR but all under 30mins.

Luckily I'm an old hand at this and cycled with my Bike Garmin which I left running in Transition for an hour to get 300 points.  Crazy that you should have to game the system, but yup - not their target market.

Crazy how you can do a sprint triathlon which is proper exercise and get Zero points, yet you can eat KFC sitting on the couch watching TV at a Virgin Active Gym and earn 100 points.....

A friend had a problem with his running, being a 3.5min/Km runner, and getting zero for his weekly 5Km club TT, because he doesn’t do the 30-minutes in one continuous activity. If he did a ParkRun, he would get 300 points for walking 5Km. He works Saturday mornings, so can’t attend ParkRun. We helped him temporarily solve his problem by letting him use my wife’s old Apple Watch specifically for use on TT days. He might upgrade to Apple just to get the free watch benefit, but only when his contract is up for renewal.

I tried arguing in the beginning but their solution was to just not use the multisport function on your multisport watch and record one continuous activity.  The irony of not being able to use the Triathlon function on a watch while doing a Triathlon was lost on them.  But again, I'm not the person they are targeting so I just decided to work the system.

My Dad has a great saying - teach me your silly rules and I'll play your silly games.

70% of max at my age is 113 bpm which i get to fairly easy - 1 hr workout i end on anything between 124 - 148 ave - I start my watch 15 min before the workout and end it 15 min after workout = 1hr30 = 450 points. 

My wife does 30 min sessions at 80% HR and earns 300 points