Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Failed by cholestrol test, 5,6 instead of 5,0 or less. Rather bleak, although on talking to those in the office this morning, it sounds like having a three egg omlette for lunch before hand was less than ideal. :(

Aren't you supposed to do these tests in a fasted state?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't you supposed to do these tests in a fasted state?

Apparently it gives a more accurate test for the cholesterol prick test one. 

Probably best to have oats in morning then test at 11:00

Last year I was told no eating for at least 8 hours before the test.

Besides the free coffees I find this whole 'discount for points' malarkey a tad tedious and onerous .... and I don't pay for points stuff that!

I thought so, but I am glad I did the test, had a mini wake up, am much more alert to what I am eating now. 

Its less than an argus entry, worth it to know that I am on track with health.

I did mine near fasted. Cuppa Joe at 06:15 and tests at 9:30

851b12b3ce2cebf6d483caeeb409de58.png

Edited by 'Kaze Pete

I thought so, but I am glad I did the test, had a mini wake up, am much more alert to what I am eating now. 

Its less than an argus entry, worth it to know that I am on track with health.

We normally have those wellness days at work where they come and do some basic tests including the Cholesterol one so I just attend those .... 

Besides the free coffees I find this whole 'discount for points' malarkey a tad tedious and onerous .... and I don't pay for points stuff that!

I agree. IMO doing the medical is beneficial to me so I do it. And I then get the 25% cash back at PnP. My broker pays for it.

I don't do the fitness assessment, even though my broker pays for it twice a year, as I don't need anyone to tell me I'm neither subtle nor supple. And I have no problem getting the 30,000 exercise points max anyway. Each family member. So why pay for it? Really silly behaviour. I don't shop at SWH so don't need the status for cash back. But I guess if you do then do the assessment. Or get your broker to pay for it. After all he/she earns a fortune from your premiums.

Achieving Gold is dead easy without paying out money to do it.

As for paying to get to Gold by end Jan or Feb.....no other word than daft springs to mind. I lie, lots of other non PG words do. Rather spend that money on your bike.

The BIG money is in cashback from your life insurance premiums if you're at a specific status (via integrator, i think).

I'm getting circa ZAR50k back in premiums in Feb, which doubles up to ZAR100k if i put it into a Discovery RA.

ZAR100k (tax free) for doing a few tests that are helpful anyway - sounds like a good deal to me.

The BIG money is in cashback from your life insurance premiums if you're at a specific status (via integrator, i think).

I'm getting circa ZAR50k back in premiums in Feb, which doubles up to ZAR100k if i put it into a Discovery RA.

ZAR100k (tax free) for doing a few tests that are helpful anyway - sounds like a good deal to me.

I don't have life insurance with them .... med aid with them purely from a company point of view. We have change 3 times in the past few years

Yoh thats impressive! I thought I was rocking it at R5k!

Fitness assessment done.

They do some basic flexibility tests, and then a progressive test on a WattBike. Started off with an initial target of 55watts, and the target increments every minute or so until you reach reach a set HR target.

Easy-peasy! Luckily for most of us these tests are aimed at not inducing heart attacks in the severely unfit and overweight population!

I should score another full set of Vitality points  :clap:

Fitness assessment done.

They do some basic flexibility tests, and then a progressive test on a WattBike. Started off with an initial target of 55watts, and the target increments every minute or so until you reach reach a set HR target.

Easy-peasy! Luckily for most of us these tests are aimed at not inducing heart attacks in the severely unfit and overweight population!

I should score another full set of Vitality points

Basic flexibility tests? They make you touch your toes. I know I can't do that with a 98cm inner leg measurement.

In the past assessment points were over and above exercise points. Now they are included in the 30k max. Which will take me about 4 months to achieve.

The assessment is targeted at the unfit and fat who won't get 30k points from workouts. Also hopefully giving the biokineticist a chance to sell them some unfat and fit workout stuff.

I use the assessments as my annual health checks, so surely good.

The chasing Active Rewards points chasing is about more than just free smoothies / coffees / cheap wraps!

It pays for

• Discounts on some sports equipment / clothing (cash back on whatever qualifying purchases)
  • 100% free gym membership (My selfpayment of 20% - R181/month - is free as well)
  • "Free" Apple watch (R245/month)
  • "Free" runnning shoes (up to R166/month) - I'm waiting for the 14th to get mine

Add all of that up, and it come to quite a tidy sum of money a month, excluding the ~ R70 worth of smoothies a week.

• I don't buy much that can be bought in a 'sports department store'
  • I don't go to gym (even if it's free)
  • My company supplies a 'smart watch' that we are obliged to use for internal development use and we are limited to what phones we can use (not iX)
  • Running? Skud jou kop ;)

I take the coffees though .... as soon as they sort the M&B it'll be every one and not just occasionally :)

just beware - that extra R50k will be completely exposed to their exhorbitant fees, at ~3.5% p/a before fund management fees are even taken into consideration (it doesn't qualify for the "integrated fee discounts")

I've done the numbers for several different clients, and it really doesn't pay to put the payback funds into the DRO unless you're in very particular circumstances. Far better to just lop it into an allan gray unit trust account and leave it in allan gray balanced or equity.  

Sounds great, but yeah. It's not... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

You have to pay for your Health Assessment?.. it's free with Multiply (at dischem or ckicks) all you have to pay for is the additional finger prick HIV test which is R80 and counts towards medical check ups doesn't fall under health assessment.

Fitness assessment is however at your own expense.

But I am getting very gatvol of Multiply... I have had clients screaming at me for 2 days because of the new changes.

Seems all these rewards programs come with their own set of headaches.

The pharmacy had system issues. So I paid, and claimed back