Read any good books this holiday?

Vetseun

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

I've read When Breath Become Air by Paul Kalanithi which may be my best book ever, and this one is in a similar theme. Being Mortal looks at old age and end of life care options and decisions from the view of a medical professional seeking a little more insight than most. In parts its a little neither here nor there but some chapters are absolutely riveting.

Good food for thought in an area we don't like to think or talk about.

It was truly a memorable book. I also put it up there as a very impactful read. It ended too quickly but more because of what happened to him.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I am not usually one who rushes to buy memoirs.

But I have been waiting for this since he left office.

Deeply personal.. he writes the same way he speaks.., I was tempted to buying the audio book as I could listen to him speak all day but hear his voice when I read it..

So far so good..

Warning though its 706 pages..and it is the first of two books.post-39623-16058053575562.jpg

• 1 month later...

I rarely read fiction, preferring autobiographies and history. 

Recently someone recommended The pillars of the earth by Ken Follett. Its sort of historical fiction and knowing the Wiltshire area fairly well and loving cathedrals i got it on Kindle. 

Great read. I see there are some follow up titles too by the author so will procure those as i have another week off. 

• 3 weeks later...

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielwelski. Worth reading. I wrote an essay about it in college. Luckily I found easy way hot to cope with all those paper work and to do my assignment fast. Guyrs from writing service saved my time. 

Edited by greys

Empire of the Summer Moon - SC Gwynne

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

“This is going to hurt” by Adam Kay

A humorous but scary look into the lives of junior doctors in the NHS in UK.

Highly recommend.

• 2 weeks later...