Touring suggestion?

Sepia

So I've been wanting to do a "tour" for a long time now. Finally decided to make it happen and start planning. Luckily I managed to convince a friend to do it with me. What I'd like to do is cycle from KZN North (Zululand) to Howick. By car it is approx 400km via Vryheid-Dundee-Ladysmith-Estcourt-Howick. On a bicycle via all the back roads it will be significantly further. 

But jeepers it's difficult to plan a route on google earth! Ideally I don't want to do more than 100km a day, and then we obviously need a B&B of some sorts to crash for the night. I first tried 2 different routes more or less straight south, not heading towards Dundee but more towards Ulundi. Shortest route I could find is 130km with 2500m climbing. Which is doable, but it's gonna be a tough first day. 

Thereafter I'm thinking to try a route towards Eshowe, next day head for Kranskop/Greytown, then Howick. It's difficult not knowing if roads are accessible, there might be a fence and gate that you can't see on google. So for the next few evenings I'll sit and map different possible routes to see if this is doable. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been wanting to do a "tour" for a long time now. Finally decided to make it happen and start planning. Luckily I managed to convince a friend to do it with me. What I'd like to do is cycle from KZN North (Zululand) to Howick. By car it is approx 400km via Vryheid-Dundee-Ladysmith-Estcourt-Howick. On a bicycle via all the back roads it will be significantly further. 

But jeepers it's difficult to plan a route on google earth! Ideally I don't want to do more than 100km a day, and then we obviously need a B&B of some sorts to crash for the night. I first tried 2 different routes more or less straight south, not heading towards Dundee but more towards Ulundi. Shortest route I could find is 130km with 2500m climbing. Which is doable, but it's gonna be a tough first day. 

Thereafter I'm thinking to try a route towards Eshowe, next day head for Kranskop/Greytown, then Howick. It's difficult not knowing if roads are accessible, there might be a fence and gate that you can't see on google. So for the next few evenings I'll sit and map different possible routes to see if this is doable. 

Hi leeubok,

Sound like a nice route. Half of the fun for me is planning the route :-). When planning a route I use a combination of the free online tracks4africa map (https://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/africa/) and google earth. With google earth, I zoom in to try find yellow roads that are dirt roads (yet to encounter a gate on a yellow road), and join these sections to 'unknown sections' or tracks which I have got from mates/other sources eg dragons spine. I always have a backup plan for "unknown sections" but include them because after all it is an adventure 

all the best and take lots of pics

Hi leeubok,

Sound like a nice route. Half of the fun for me is planning the route :-). When planning a route I use a combination of the free online tracks4africa map (https://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/africa/) and google earth. With google earth, I zoom in to try find yellow roads that are dirt roads (yet to encounter a gate on a yellow road), and join these sections to 'unknown sections' or tracks which I have got from mates/other sources eg dragons spine. I always have a backup plan for "unknown sections" but include them because after all it is an adventure 

all the best and take lots of pics

Thanks man, it is really exciting planning this trip! I'm trying to follow mostly district roads, but there are many places where we'll use forestry roads and small roads that goes to rural villages. So most of it should be accessable. But I know around Ulundi there are lots of game farms so there we're going to hit the fences. I haven't thought of tracks4africa, thanks, I'll definitely have a look. 

Once I'm done I'll post a .gpx file.

@_Freak_, Not only are there big and hairy beasties on the other side of 8ft fences, there are angry farmers with 12 gauge shotguns too. I'll rather go around  :P

@_Freak_, Not only are there big and hairy beasties on the other side of 8ft fences, there are angry farmers with 12 gauge shotguns too. I'll rather go around  :P

I am well aware if that, been there done that, been chased by a farmer in his helicopter...

but thats a tale for another time...

I also try to compare map ources , between Google, Strava, Garmin... but sometimes i do get to a fence that was not spotted on either of these sources 

• 5 weeks later...

Gimme a shout out if you looks for info/routes around Howick/Notties. Being a local helps!

I am keen.  When?  Have you anything in mind?

I am keen.  When?  Have you anything in mind?

Just let me know preferred distances and type of terrain and I will post a route or 2 :)

Just let me know preferred distances and type of terrain and I will post a route or 2 :)

PM sent

http://www.bicycleca...icroadventures/

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Did a bit of an unsupported ride myself on the 28th, 29th, 30th of last year - the very hot days.

Route:

Day1: HoutBay, Waterfront, Milnerton, Cape Dairies, Old Malmesbury Rd, Malmesbury, RKasteel, Zonquasdrif, Gouda, Porterville. Found a guest house for the night. 180km

Day2: Porterville, Piketberg, Redlinghuis, Elandsbaai, Dwarskersbos, Veldrif. Camped on Guesthouse lawn, 190km.

Day3: Veldrif, Hopefield, Malmesbury, Old Malmesbury Rd, Cape Dairies, Milnerton, Waterfront, Hout Bay, 215km.

Couple of comments:
Weskus people were complaining it was too hot - then it must have been v hot, av speed was 18km/h, ditched the helmet for parts of the day and was large floppy hat, sooner die of heatstroke or melanoma than falling off at 18km/h.
If you think you need to fill up with water then fill up, drank loads, dont pass an opportunity to fill up.
Sunscreen works - if applied properly. 
Veldrif has squadrons of mozzies despatched as you arrive.
Coastal towns are packed with people accom is hard to find at that time of the year - tent option a must.
Uber drivers are a hack - sea point and camps bay are their turf now, expect no warning.

A relatively flat ride, but there are rolling hills and you will have a headwind and a puncture combined in the last hour of your ride - its just the way it is.
Ford Ranger drivers are generally speaking the new 'rednecks' - speed and power and no effs given.
Weskus people are still friendly.
Alcohol is a problem in the Swartland and Weskus - sad to see people have no control.

A great three days riding, lots of open roads and just a time to unwind. 

Loved reading this thread!

My March ride between the Argus and Montagu. Need to find some mudguards and setup for my missus.

post-44986-0-72382200-1483871848_thumb.jpeg

post-44986-0-63107700-1483871878_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Loose cog

Loved reading this thread!

My March ride between the Argus and Montagu. Need to find some mudguards and setup for my missus.

Looks like you are ready to go.

What handle bar bag is that? Interested to see how it is fixed to the bar?

It has one of these curved fork pronged clamps that hang over the top of the bar. Think old school road house trays that hang on your window rail. Prongs go through hoops on side of the bag. Weighed down by weight of contents and some bungee cord. This particular clamp has a bottom bit with clamp to keep it in place.

Thanks LG, simple but workable. I like the idea. Might just bend something up based on this. Need to get my roll bag away from the cables and may drop it to above my wheel and lower the weight distribution on the steering?  Your set up has unlimited possibilities.