Flat Pedals vs Flat SPD Pedals vs SPD Pedals

AlanD

I read the title and thought to myself "probably safer to discuss wheel size"

The poster who used to take this sort of thread personally, and then had to insult everyone who had a different opinion to him has left the building, so no aggro in the discussion, just rational presentation of opinions, very adult :whistling: discussion

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... and if you so wish and need the benefits that cleats present then swop the pedals back.

in a perfect world we all have endless money and a bike for each purpose (same bike but one with flats and one with cleats)

there is no wrong or right here... some people will never need or use the skills they may or may not acquire on flats and some people will never need to be clipped in.

I sit on all sides of the fence... there actually is no fence... you got to do what suits you and what you want to achieve or need to do... I need to learn some skills so I am getting flats to swop out and learn some skills I WANT to learn to have even more fun.

Maybe you should have a look at the Mallet dh race pedals, they are effectively both.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/product/mallet-dh-race

Have come to terms that in the beginning i will not be able to do some stuff as with being clipped in.

Re: bunny hop, would like to learn that on flats as then you really doing a proper bunny hop but me thinks thats gonna be hard so just getting through the trail in one peice is the goal:)

some starting tips

drop your saddle so that you can bend your knees.

put something in the road to clear (5l oil bottles with a stick ie high jump, flat, then on it's side then upright etc as you get better)

approach the bar compressed and then jump - as you extend your front wheel will come up - as the front wheel crosses the stick push the handlebar forward - that will bring the rear wheel up and keep your feet planted.

The harder you jump (try and make it explosive) the higher you will go.  Full susses suck up some of the energy so you won't go the same height as the HT or rigid guys.

Im always in two minds about cleats vs flats.

For long grindy stuff I prefer clipping in and forgetting while I bleed through the eyes.

For more twisty downhill pointed stuff you cant beat the fun of flats. I love getting a foot out while smashing a turn at high speed and that just isnt practical with cleats.

Awsome, that sounds positive. I know i will have those issues and may not be as fun cos i probably won't be able to do alot of stuff but have to start somewhere

Please tell me the technique you learnt for the drop/jumps to keep you feet on the pedals...been reading about this and it seems you need to tilt your feet slightly down and push against the pedals??

GMBN has produced an excellent vlog/video on feet placement on flats which you'll be able to find on their YouTube channel. It's about 4 minutes long so won't take too long to watch and you'll be better equipped to get the best out of having flats on your bike. They also have loads of awesome skills vlogs/videos as well which should help improve your riding. Essentially though you need to be thinking of your hips and feet needing to work together to have your weight in the correct position and properly spread out over the bike and for you to be able to properly control your bike.

Guest notmyname

Flats. Jip, there's nothing quite so wonderful as getting smashed in the shin on a cold winters day.

Be warned, those suckers eat shins.

Flats. Jip, there's nothing quite so wonderful as getting smashed in the shin on a cold winters day.

Be warned, those suckers eat shins.

Hence why i want to start out on shin pads.

Once riding with flats for a while and the shin strike rarely happens, you can ride with Bmx long pants, and they will give some protection to your shins.

Also if you find a section of DH trail that's not too technical, keep repeating it, and practice pumping your bike ,letting your feet push in to the pedals,eventually to will get the feeling of connection

and you stay on the pedals with the rebound.

Hope this helps.

Been riding flats for years and only had a few pedal strikes, in fact I actually had more pedal strikes when I was riding clipped in back in the day.

I now feel more planted on the bike than I ever did on clips.

Jus practicing a little in the garden and already had a pedal strike. This was while trying a bunny hop which is hard ot clipped in as when clipped in i just lifted my feet and the bike followed.

Not really a bunny hop clipped in :)

Jus practicing a little in the garden and already had a pedal strike. This was while trying a bunny hop which is hard ot clipped in as when clipped in i just lifted my feet and the bike followed.

Not really a bunny hop clipped in :)

Thats what you call a pronk. ( jy pronk soos n springbok) :whistling: