Race Fail: Ashburton Meerendal 2016

Rock Guy

Just some perspective

Something I didn't really realise until I helped out with a local Durbanville race, The TMBC trails & surrounds literally traverse dozens of farms with each farm owners having their own idea on where and when races are allowed over their farms - if at all and then some change their minds anyway. You really can't just draw a route on google earth and expect to race it, it's a big challenge to design and get permissions for a proper & balanced route.

Siri - interesting that you mention the Philadelphia race as better because that race actually goes through most of the same dusty "boring" bits you mention.

Tubed - I have always thought Meerendal would work better as a prologue venue where you can just do the local trails as opposed to a finishing venue because there is no way you gonna skip the "boring" wide open areas between Stellenbosch and Meerendal

Appreciate what you're saying, happy to call this my personal decision based on a number of events done in the area.

In this race, what really got to me was Hillcrest - descending that horrible, steep and loose gravel and then climbing the awesome ST through Elastoplast Valley. That's where I decided "never again"!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point exactly. If you want a refund, mail them and ask for one. If you are voting with your wallet for the next event, also good, but for the love of all that is holy, if you are not looking for anything constructive from the conversation, why waste your (and everyone else's) time with meaningless rants? I think we all suffer a little bit from keyboard activism (myself included), but we would all do well to consider how we can add value to the discussions here on bikehub.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you are Bike Hub' s social and psychological correction officer,...I will PM you first whenever I need to post a comment in future, for approval. 

My point exactly. If you want a refund, mail them and ask for one. If you are voting with your wallet for the next event, also good, but for the love of all that is holy, if you are not looking for anything constructive from the conversation, why waste your (and everyone else's) time with meaningless rants? I think we all suffer a little bit from keyboard activism (myself included), but we would all do well to consider how we can add value to the discussions here on bikehub.

Well said. It is not in the nature of most hubbers to give constructive feedback or come up with solutions. I remember on the W2W 2015 thread you came up with some ideas\solutions but was flamed by a lot of people as well. 

All I am asking for is mature comments, its probably too much to ask for. PS: I have no vested interest in Meerendal, Ashburton or Fritz's business. I do however think that event organisers will stop responding to comments here on bikehub if we all act like spoilt 5 year olds in how we engage with them. Then we all lose.

Nice post G

Sorry, I didn't realize that you are Bike Hub' s social and psychological correction officer,...I will PM you first whenever I need to post a comment in future, for approval. 

Bike Hub' s social and psychological correction officer has a nice ring to it... I LIKE IT!

While reading this thread and the various posts, including the response from Fritz (if it really is him and not the company's marketing and communication spindoctor)......I had a sudden deja vu moment wrt an event organised in 2014 at Dullstroom by the same company.

There is also a Hub thread on that event, just copy and paste the contents of that thread and substitute Dulltroom with Meerendal.......history has a knack of repeating itself.

exactly!! I'm calling bull on that reply, as I said earlier in this thread same crap at last years event i.e. Meerendal Ashburton 2015, then some of the same issues pop up during the Nissan Trailseeker in Cape Town. There was more than enough time to improve on past failings but I guess not.

The route was not an issue...it is MTB'ing so I did expect some open roads, single-track, nasty climbs, sandy patches, rocks, dust etc. Most of us know the area but some people expected to ride Grabouw/Elgin trails.

On the race, they have been doing MTB races for a while so the success lies within the basics, that is what people expect and pay for. If you get your start shute organizing, timing and water-points right you have a great race. People might moan about the route afterwards but then it will be mostly being unfit or "did not expect to take us up that hill". When you only have water or run out of water then you not doing anyone a favor and open yourself to rant. People will start blaming start issues, water, toilets, etc.for their lack of a "good" race.

Some people play the main character in their own movie so results on the web within 2 hours finishing it is a must. For other it does not matter that much but you still want to see how did you compare, after all it is a timed race.

So at the end of the day if you get the basics right then the rest falls in place. Really hope they get their act together because at the rate MTB events is popping up nowadays you need to have your ducks in a row.

So what do I do now instead of paying out loads of cash for below average events for the riders? I go to Van Gaalens with my mates, smash some awesome trails for 50 bucks. Stop and take in the beauty around us, we laugh our asses off most of the time and then get back to have a few beers for half the price of a race. Now that's why we started riding in the 1st place.

So instead of doing "races" week in and week out I rather pick and choose very special events where I don't mind paying the cash because at these events, riders come first and sponsors a very distant second. So for this year I have committed to 1 stage race being Berg and Bush and the rest of the time you will find me tearing down some or other trail in baggies, camera in one hand a beer in the other. (and have extra cash saved from over inflated races for those cool upgrades like a dropper post ^_^ )

This

Just some perspective

Something I didn't really realise until I helped out with a local Durbanville race, The TMBC trails & surrounds literally traverse dozens of farms with each farm owners having their own idea on where and when races are allowed over their farms - if at all and then some change their minds anyway. You really can't just draw a route on google earth and expect to race it, it's a big challenge to design and get permissions for a proper & balanced route.

Siri - interesting that you mention the Philadelphia race as better because that race actually goes through most of the same dusty "boring" bits you mention.

Tubed - I have always thought Meerendal would work better as a prologue venue where you can just do the local trails as opposed to a finishing venue because there is no way you gonna skip the "boring" wide open areas between Stellenbosch and Meerendal

Some very valid points Skubarra!

Tygerberg MTB Club has facilitated events on our trails in the interests of promoting Durbanville and our land owners and we're aware that it comes as a price to our members as there is no discount on entry fees and access to the trails are compromised.

TMTBC charges a flat rate of R15 000 (as well as a refundable deposit) to event organisers for the use of trails which are managed by the club. Community based events / charity events are charged a nominal fee per rider which comes in far cheaper. Challenges the club has to deal with is wear on the trails, assisting with route layout and marking, landowners expectations, event organisers changing routes / laying out routes last minute, event organisers liasing directly with landowners or not contacting them at all, repairing and re-erecting fences, ...

Your first post was well written and it seemed like you wanted to be constructive. Your reply to Fritz make you sound like a dwis.

Sorry bud, you are demanding that people on the Hub respond and act professionally....then you imply people are acting like ''Dwis's'' and ''Douches''......How does that work Gluvs ?

Most of your posts are constructive. This is just double standards bud.

You cant be the guy dishing it out....and then be guilty of the exact same thing you are criticizing.

Of all people i thought you would know better.

As much as I value everyone’s comments on this topic, I do think things are getting out of control a little bit. I was not part of any complaints regarding Advendurance events in the past, but it is quite clear that they are repeat offenders and have not dealt with many of the recurring issues in a manner that has satisfied the people who enter their events.

Fritz, thank you for your reply. I always respect someone who owns up when things did not go as swimmingly as was expected. If what the other hubbers are saying is true though, and things have not changed despite many serious shortcoming in the past, then I suggest that Advendurance should take a close look at their business model. How sustainable is it really? What would have happened if a rider got serious heatstroke on Saturday after passing two waterpoints that had no water for him and he died. My guess is that your past history of poor race organising would have surfaced very quickly and that it would not take much to blame the incident on Advendurance negligence. Thank goodness this hasn’t happened, and fingers crossed it never will.

On the entry/timing system. No worries, it looked like a new system and I’m sure once all the niggles have been sorted out it will work great. Perhaps look into being able to run the system offline as well. Or perhaps using wifi through a central computer that has a strong internet connection. I’m no IT genius, but I am sure there are solutions. Oh, and you really need more than two people loading chutes.

On the route. Perhaps a better description of the route would have allowed riders to realise the Marathon route was going to be a bit boring. I think just adding the total km of single track could have helped in this regard.

Post race. Maybe your suggestions could work. Personally I think you guys missed out on making an extra buck here. To me it looked like the only people that were really hanging around were the Ashburton clients in their special tent. Maybe if there were more options for us plebs more of us would have hung around for a bit. Then again, maybe most of the entrants were Ashburton client (unlikely though).

Results. I’m not too phased about this really, I just want my time so that I can give it to Discovery in order to get part of my entry fee back through Team Vitality. It is taking rather long though compared to other events.

I believe in giving people a chance to get their act in order. This is why I will give you guys one more shot. I will be entering another one of your races this year. I don’t know which one yet, but this will be the decider for me. Afterwards I will again post my comments on how the race went. Whether those comments are positive or negative will be in your hands. 

In summary:

• No water - absolutely inexcusable
  • Poor registration system - inexcusable
  • No results - inexcusable
  • Top organisation using Meerendal for a premier marathon event - inexusable

• Poor water tables - reputational damage
  • Limited public facilities - reputational damage

If you read the official hub press release after the event you would swear it was a great success all around - I guess that's whats riling people - the majority of the field have been disregarded and their money taken, the show has moved on. Vote with your wallet.

I am so tired of hearing the same old excuses time after time, and then the same thing happens again and again.

FFS, they used to get it right so they know how. It is so sad to see it going down the toilet like the rest of South Africa.

Is Advendurance being run by the ANC?!?!

I am so tired of hearing the same old excuses time after time, and then the same thing happens again and again.

FFS, they used to get it right so they know how. It is so sad to see it going down the toilet like the rest of South Africa.

Is Advendurance being run by the ANC?!?!

Racer-ist.....

Archived