Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

That is just unlucky, poor bugger. 

It does go to show how easy it can be to get on to that naughty list.....

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool that would be appreciated.

AS for a life time ban for a chest cold medication?! That's really not fair at all and sends the wrong message.

It can be interpreted in conjunction with the high sticker price as "only the financially and genetically gifted need apply".

A chest cold could develop further but then the race doctor needs to make a responsible call.

Did the ride get the medication from the events medics? That would just double the injustice.

Not only CSA should be taken to task, but also the event organizer. I think if enough amateurs get busted for silly infringements, it will sound the death nell for events that take such an unfair stance. But we never hear about these infringements so it makes one wonder if there's a gagging order being issued somewhere...

Unfortunately the substance in the medication is also a strong anti inflammatory and is often used to aid recovery and administered on its own for that purpose. AFIAK the athlete got prescribed by his GP, both should have been more careful or just not raced so soon after the medication. The other hand, if he was guilty of intentional doping and just had a convenient excuse he got off very lightly. We would/will never know. 

This doping stuff is pretty simple.

1.      If you take stuff that makes you go faster, you are cheating!

2.      If you take stuff and it makes no difference, you are wasting your money.

3.      If you are sick and on meds then stay in bed.

4.      If you are on chronic meds get a TUE.

5.      If you don’t know what it is you are taking, don’t take it.

6.      If you purchase it in an alley way or do a cash deal with someone in their car who looks like the incredible hulk and is wearing a World Gym vest, it is dope!

Basically if anyone takes stuff because they think it makes then go faster, then they are actually trying to cheat. 

1.      If you take stuff that makes you go faster, you are cheating! AGREED

2.      If you take stuff and it makes no difference, you are wasting your money. DISAGREE

3.      If you are sick and on meds then stay in bed. DISAGREE, Not all illness requires being in bed to recover

4.      If you are on chronic meds get a TUE. DISAGREE, not all chronic meds require TUE.

5.      If you don’t know what it is you are taking, don’t take it. DISAGREE, Do you know whats in your water? Food? etc Yes? Prove it.

6.      If you purchase it in an alley way or do a cash deal with someone in their car who looks like the incredible hulk and is wearing a World Gym vest, it is dope!AGREED, Pitch forks and pots o'tar ready

Basically if anyone takes stuff because they think it makes then go faster, then they are actually trying to cheat. DISAGREE, Would hydrating be considered cheating?

See a Black or white argument just makes it harder fully understand

You need to look at this in the context of doping and cheating. So

1.      If you take stuff that makes you go faster, you are cheating! AGREED

2.      If you take stuff and it makes no difference, you are wasting your money. DISAGREE

Why would you take stuff that has no effect on your performance? Duh! And please exclude all the supplements from Dischem and your local herbalist, they just nutritional supplements that have not been scientifically proven to be better than healthy food.

3.      If you are sick and on meds then stay in bed. DISAGREE, Not all illness requires being in bed to recover. Taken in the context of doping, if you sick and you are placing on a podium, then you are not sick! I have never ever in my whole life known somebody who fells better when they are sick than when they are well, unless they are doped to the eyeballs. Imagine the Tour de France commentators "Smith has won the tenth stage up the Toumalet, but I heard he is sick, so don't worry, he'll be better in a few days and back down to 100th place again"

4.      If you are on chronic meds get a TUE. DISAGREE, not all chronic meds require TUE. Like my 13 year old would say, you need to take this in the context of doping GENIUS!

5.      If you don’t know what it is you are taking, don’t take it. DISAGREE, Do you know whats in your water? Food? etc Yes? Prove it.

As before, taken in the context of doping, I can assure you that Rand Water does not put banned performance enhancing drugs in my water, nor does Woolies sell beef tainted with Clenbuterol.

6.      If you purchase it in an alley way or do a cash deal with someone in their car who looks like the incredible hulk and is wearing a World Gym vest, it is dope!AGREED, Pitch forks and pots o'tar ready

Basically if anyone takes stuff because they think it makes then go faster, then they are actually trying to cheat. DISAGREE, Would hydrating be considered cheating? Lol, come on, you serious?

See a Black or white argument just makes it harder fully understand

Just a question...

How long is the TUE application and approval process supposed to take...?

I mean, for our local "pro's", not Chris Froome.

How many potential income earning events do you need to sit out whilst they fumble...?

Is the process being run as a streamlined, well oiled machine...?

It takes a few weeks.  Faster or slower depending on the case and doctors involved.

You can fast track it if you're on a team with a team doctor that knows all the ins and outs.

You can fast track it if you've got an acute condition (eg. crashed in a stage race.); it's slower for chronic conditions.

It's definitely daunting if you're working with a doctor that has never done it (as I did.)  I ended up taking a few weeks off racing anyway before the process was resolved.

SAIDS basically sends your doctor's motivation to another doctor, and they vet the motivation.  It can go backwards and forwards a few times.

I'd like the process to be simpler; I'd like to be out of the loop (I don't understand the medical jargon anyway.); I'd like it to be precise, so my doctor can actually understand their motivation.  I certainly want the turnaround to be before the illness is fixed.

I want all these things, but I don't have them right now and the rules apply right now.  I accept that, because it doesn't affect my income.

You need to look at this in the context of doping and cheating. So

taken in the context of doping you are assuming that everyone who takes medication is intending to cheat.

Strangely most people take medication to either feel better or help their body cope better with the ailment its dealing with. Ailments by nature reduce performance. 

have you spotted the flaw in your logic yet are would you prefer to swing some handbags?

Edited by raptor-22

taken in the context of doping you are assuming that everyone who takes medication is intending to cheat.

Strangely most people take medication to either feel better or help their body cope better with the ailment its dealing with. Ailments by nature reduce performance. 

have you spotted the flaw in your logic yet are would you prefer to swing some handbags?

Cool thing is.

I understand both you guys' views.

Problem is the lies.  Because of all the LIES people (real hardcore moedwillige blikempies wat dope) tell after they get caught. 

So they use the "I used medicine" scape goat.

So.

Where does this leave us.

As with the number pickups we will not have a resolve of this in the next 30 years because CSA / SAIDS etc etc does not give a damn about you and me or the BikeHub.

So this is MY perfect world vision:

You would get the professionals who does the sport for a living and earning income and ALL of them gets tested on a regular basis with blood passports and CSA doctors on call for questions and advice should the need arise.  With other words, a personal relationship with the athlete and the sport.

The funriders (everyone one else not doing it for a living) continue and not give a damn about any of this nitty gritty worry about this and that.

Cool thing is.

I understand both you guys' views.

Problem is the lies.  Because of all the LIES people (real hardcore moedwillige blikempies wat dope) tell after they get caught. 

So they use the "I used medicine" scape goat.

So.

Where does this leave us.

As with the number pickups we will not have a resolve of this in the next 30 years because CSA / SAIDS etc etc does not give a damn about you and me or the BikeHub.

So this is MY perfect world vision:

You would get the professionals who does the sport for a living and earning income and ALL of them gets tested on a regular basis with blood passports and CSA doctors on call for questions and advice should the need arise.  With other words, a personal relationship with the athlete and the sport.

The funriders (everyone one else not doing it for a living) continue and not give a damn about any of this nitty gritty worry about this and that.

Yeah I agree but the problem is they also have a role to protect people that are brain dead..like the dad that feeds the boy roids to get him to look like Bakkie Botha.

So maybe there is some middle ground for the Non professionals...maybe we should not have a list of 2000 drugs maybe have a list of 20 of the really hardcore stuff that can harm you big time and then just test for that?

So if you a B bunch wannabe and you want to take some diet pills because you to useless to follow a diet or eat healthy then go right ahead and have fun. But if you want to pump yourself full of Testosterone then maybe NO sorry please take door number 1 and leave.... 

Yeah I agree but the problem is they also have a role to protect people that are brain dead..like the dad that feeds the boy roids to get him to look like Bakkie Botha.

So maybe there is some middle ground for the Non professionals...maybe we should not have a list of 2000 drugs maybe have a list of 20 of the really hardcore stuff that can harm you big time and then just test for that?

So if you a B bunch wannabe and you want to take some diet pills because you to useless to follow a diet or eat healthy then go right ahead and have fun. But if you want to pump yourself full of Testosterone then maybe NO sorry please take door number 1 and leave.... 

Jip.....makes sense.......

Problem though.

SAIDS runs on a very limited budget.  Last time I heard it was around R3000 per test.

And then there is the whole marketing aspect of it.  SAIDS not "catching" anyone can't be good for business.  So they turn to Joe Soap doing diet pills to keep up with fancy Nancy from the office in order to get "good results". 

We caught 50 cheats last year, give us more money.

Well....that is how I see it.

SAIDS is not in it for the sport but to catch cheats.  And that is good.  But I would like to see people that cheat in their profession.  Cheating on your own home budget is just proof that you are dumb.  Cheating on the Co. budget that you preset to the BOD.....that is fraud.

to prove herself on this is purely up to her.

But what i can say about Yolande de Villiers is that she is one of the nicest pro's i have ever met.

Always time for other racers and kids.

She has 3 daughters. .can see why she would ever want to disappointment them.

Then while we on the topic.

Cycling unions or whatever they want to call themselfs must grow some balls..this 2 year or 11 month bans ect is bull****.

Dopers should be banned for life.

I agree with you....I have only heard "nice" things about her, so I found this news quite sad indeed. As it is said in Afrikaans "'n ander man/vrou se boek is duister"

So in summary, this poor athlete is innocent and SAIDS are a bunch of wankers?

We'll never know... 

Fingers still in ears, LALALALALALALALALA...!!!!! still being sung.....