Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

Hahaha, people, not even Lawn Bowls is clean.

Come now, its not if, its more like when someone gets popped in most professional sports. No accusations from my side on any athlete until proven guilty but normally when a performance is unbeliveable it usually is.

Sport is a form of theater, enjoy the show and dont ask questions....

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, babse said:

Believe the podium got sent to the porta-pisinnacup... I spoke to gent who picked up 3rd, after his test. 

Thought you were joking!!!

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I would think it would be frustrating. IF you're 100% clean and have worked your butt off to get to the level you are on and random keyboard warriors assume you took the "easy" route.

I have no skin in this game. I perhaps naively like to think that athletes are clean, but I've been proved wrong  many times (hello Lance)

yes that's a given. I'm sure even Lance took some joy out of having to lie through his teeth to the same old questions, but then he was a psychopath. I think it sucks the most if you're 100% clean and not achieving podiums as the dopers are on them, but if you're winning then there must be a little bit of extra satisfaction there.

Was Burry 100% clean, nobody will ever know for sure? (He never got caught). Pretty much all the local guys chasing his back wheel got bust with the sauce at one point or another. If he was clean as a whistle, then it must have been double satisfying to know the guys behind you are not catching you despite their cheating. (my timeline might be wrong, but the highest profile example of this was DG doing EPO chasing that maiden epic title, Burry was surely around then still?).

*I know it's in quote marks, but winning with doping still is not "easy". a shortcut maybe.

25 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

yes that's a given. I'm sure even Lance took some joy out of having to lie through his teeth to the same old questions, but then he was a psychopath. I think it sucks the most if you're 100% clean and not achieving podiums as the dopers are on them, but if you're winning then there must be a little bit of extra satisfaction there.

Was Burry 100% clean, nobody will ever know for sure? (He never got caught). Pretty much all the local guys chasing his back wheel got bust with the sauce at one point or another. If he was clean as a whistle, then it must have been double satisfying to know the guys behind you are not catching you despite their cheating. (my timeline might be wrong, but the highest profile example of this was DG doing EPO chasing that maiden epic title, Burry was surely around then still?).

*I know it's in quote marks, but winning with doping still is not "easy". a shortcut maybe.

He was subjected to the same tests that caught out people like George, Evans, Stewart and Knox. So at the very least he wasn't taking what those okes were taking. Was it possible that he was a super sophisticated doper using stuff SAIDS/WADA haven't caught onto a decade later? I would give him the benefit of the doubt that most likely not.  

4 hours ago, babse said:

was Evans not caught with white sniffable dope? 

I think he was getting treatments for a burst appendix that violated the WADA rules, applied for a TUE - got denied and then decided to continue racing anyway.

Think the substance abuse came after the ban

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

He was subjected to the same tests that caught out people like George, Evans, Stewart and Knox. So at the very least he wasn't taking what those okes were taking. Was it possible that he was a super sophisticated doper using stuff SAIDS/WADA haven't caught onto a decade later? I would give him the benefit of the doubt that most likely not.  

Totally give him the benefit of the doubt.

but the fact that there is doubt is just unescapable for any pro rider. Even if mother theresa rode for Sd Worx we'd be querying her dealings behind monastery walls if she was outclimbing the rest of the peleton.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Burry got tested a lot more because of all the international racing he was competing in, talent + good genes does play a role me thinks, which he most definately had...others need to dope to get to the same level in most cases.

Edited by nathrix

16 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Totally give him the benefit of the doubt.

but the fact that there is doubt is just unescapable for any pro rider. Even if mother theresa rode for Sd Worx we'd be querying her dealings behind monastery walls if she was outclimbing the rest of the peleton.

Agree - anyone who performed in the early 2010's local mtb scene will forever be tainted by association...

We have rose tinted memories of Burry doing stuff like this to his rivals

image.jpeg.99279d9f4b5ffba231f4eec7ff690b0c.jpeg

but as I recall he didn't always dominate the local scene to the extent that a Lance did his era. I recall Kevin Evans ran him close on numerous occasions and every now and then sneaked an important win ahead of him. Their rivalry made the local mtb scene much more interesting back then compared to what we have now..

Would be interesting to know how the rivalries would have looked if doping wasn't involved.

20 hours ago, nathrix said:

Burry got tested a lot more because of all the international racing he was competing in, talent + good genes does play a role me thinks, which he most definately had...others need to dope to get to the same level in most cases.

You have proof he tested more or is this an assumption? 

55 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

99% of all posts here on Bikehub are assumptions. 

This is my assumption anyway. 😎 

Edited by Mongoose!

20 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

looks like new research has been done

image.png.6e4f20fc2a31cd69b71519449ba2c16c.png

its on the internet, so it must be true

ChatGPT is the source of all truth...

image.jpeg.547110b90d6db535ef3e3d461f0dc72a.jpeg

17 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

I thought he got tested more often back in the day compared to the riders competing locally (locally meaning in SA) when he was overseas racing world cup-, world champs-, olympics xco, etc. even more so when finishing on the podium. My assumption wrong?