Ashburton MTB Series #2 Sabie 2016

Acre

I wonder how Advendurance is going to handle this. As responsible organisers they have no choice but to cancel the race if the safety situation is a concern. So do they look for another date ( virtually impossible) or do they just call it a day and offer refunds with the justifiable outcry about the lost cost of accommodation?

Considering the criticism they took for the Meerendal event and the potential for another failure it's going to be a tough day at the office for the management of Advendurance.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how Advendurance is going to handle this. As responsible organisers they have no choice but to cancel the race if the safety situation is a concern. So do they look for another date ( virtually impossible) or do they just call it a day and offer refunds with the justifiable outcry about the lost cost of accommodation?

Considering the criticism they took for the Meerendal event and the potential for another failure it's going to be a tough day at the office for the management of Advendurance.

There will be pepper spray in the starter pack.

I don't want to be a pessimist, but it doesn't look good.

I don't want to put my life in danger. Otherwise I must find some place where I can climb 3000m lol.

edit: decision at 8am tomorrow.Fritz says its leaning towards going ahead...waiting for police update

Edited by CleatsnCleavage

Just posted on FB

MEDIA STATEMENT: 

Volatile protests in Sabie lead to potential postponement of second round of Ashburton Investments National MTB Series

The violent protests that are raging in Sabie have put the Sabie Ashburton Investments National MTB Series, one of South Africa’s most established classics on the mountain biking circuit in jeopardy. The event that is due to take place this weekend attracted some of the big stars in international and local mountain biking is now faced with the reality that it will potentially be forced to cancel and postpone the event to a suitable date in the future.

According to Fritz Pienaar from Advendurance his team have been on the ground and very involved with local authorities to monitor the situation, but with the volatile and increasingly violent protests the police and local council have indicated that they will not allow an event to take place while they can’t dedicate any resources to secure the safety of visitors. “We have no choice but to consider postponement at this stage, this was the first time in all my years of organising events that we’ve been forced to deal with something like this, but at the end of the day the safety of our participants are paramount” Pienaar added.

Local police won’t allow the event to continue, unless the situation in Sabie improves significantly. Participants will be contacted tomorrow once the municipal council met with community leaders tomorrow morning, after which the police will make a decision on whether the event may go ahead.

Ends.

Just posted on FB

MEDIA STATEMENT: 

Volatile protests in Sabie lead to potential postponement of second round of Ashburton Investments National MTB Series

The violent protests that are raging in Sabie have put the Sabie Ashburton Investments National MTB Series, one of South Africa’s most established classics on the mountain biking circuit in jeopardy. The event that is due to take place this weekend attracted some of the big stars in international and local mountain biking is now faced with the reality that it will potentially be forced to cancel and postpone the event to a suitable date in the future.

According to Fritz Pienaar from Advendurance his team have been on the ground and very involved with local authorities to monitor the situation, but with the volatile and increasingly violent protests the police and local council have indicated that they will not allow an event to take place while they can’t dedicate any resources to secure the safety of visitors. “We have no choice but to consider postponement at this stage, this was the first time in all my years of organising events that we’ve been forced to deal with something like this, but at the end of the day the safety of our participants are paramount” Pienaar added.

Local police won’t allow the event to continue, unless the situation in Sabie improves significantly. Participants will be contacted tomorrow once the municipal council met with community leaders tomorrow morning, after which the police will make a decision on whether the event may go ahead.

Ends.

So Constable Pieterse will decide if I ride!

So Constable Pieterse will decide if I ride!

Hopefully there will be a few more people working on this than Constable Pieterse, but unfortunately if he pulls the event permit the organisers have no options. If SAPS pulls the pulg then land access also falls away.

Mankele was suggested as an alternative. What about Induna?

Hopefully there will be a few more people working on this than Constable Pieterse, but unfortunately if he pulls the event permit the organisers have no options. If SAPS pulls the pulg then land access also falls away.

Mankele was suggested earlier as an alternative venue would like to suggest Induna as well. I know it won't help those booked in Sabie but at least an event of some sorts can take place.

I don't want to be a pessimist, but it doesn't look good.

I don't want to put my life in danger. Otherwise I must find some place where I can climb 3000m lol.

Same here... min dae!

Don't think anyone's actual lives would be in any real danger, but obviously the organisers and police don't want any unnecessary risk either.

If the police and ems feel that managing crowd control and accommodating the needs of a large event on the weekend could be too much too handle, we'll know tomorrow.