Autopsy of a bike race - To Hell & (not) Back

DJR

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we are at it.  Not to distract from the story but once you are on this road you will know what DJR is talking about.

That sign sums it up nicely. And that is your travelling time for a car! The front runners at To Hell & Back did it faster on the bike, I think, mainly because they could descend and corner a lot faster than you can in a car.

DJR, how long do you think it would take non stop ?

From the outsdhoorn side? to get into the valley, have a cuppa tea at the bottom and then head straight on back ?

the route developing in my mind, is Oudshoorn to Gamkas, then up and onto prince albert (sleep a wee bit) , then turn around and do it all over again ? *munga training*

the route developing in my mind, is Oudshoorn to Gamkas, then up and onto prince albert (sleep a wee bit) , then turn around and do it all over again ? *munga training*

I did De Rust over the pass to PA and back over to Calitzdorp the next day. Carrying my Bike Pack this was hard work.

Good luck with adding in the trip down and back up the Gamka kloof and doing it without a decent night's sleep. It is to hard for me......

eddy what was your time in doing this ?

also how much time did it take ?

*sorry for the hijack DRR*

so the thought is oudtshoorn to gamkas to prince albert ... sleep.......then prince albert, gamkas oudtshoorn, possible or just stupid ?

so the thought is oudtshoorn to gamkas to prince albert ... sleep.......then prince albert, gamkas oudtshoorn, possible or just stupid ?

easy sum. Go look at the results of hell and back for oudtshoorn to gamkaskloof stage 1. Them you can look at times for Prince Albert to gamkaskloof as a freedom challenge stage. I know it's backwards, but makes about as much sense as your plan (no one rides in and out without spending the night! If you need more distance, go start in them red stone hills first)

well all is relative if you do training for the munga

but oudtshoorn to gamka to prince albert will be a looong day, you are looking at almost 4000m climbing over about 120km?

I would either skip Gamkaskloof and go straight to Prince Albert or sleep over in Gamkaskloof and ride to Prince Albert the next day

Thats 150km x2 = 300km 12h-35h It depends

I will check, but I was bike packing and it was day two and three of a four day ride. I packed (and needed) a lot of water. Carrying all the water you will need to get up the pass and down to Gamka will slow you down unless you have a source along the way. There was very little water when I did it in December.

The pass took longer than I had thought it would, but that was because I was riding slowly and not "to get there".

While we are at it.  Not to distract from the story but once you are on this road you will know what DJR is talking about.

Last time I was at that sign (on may way down luckily), I had to fix a punture - just to found that someone left a sealed Castle Lite on a rock next to the road. I decided the 'right' decision would be to leave it for the next 'up' rider that would deserve it more :blush:

thanks guys - something to think about - if i could survive putting myself through this little exercise, then the munga distance should be fine.... maybe.....

@ Slowbee

Joh, you are talking of something I have never even contemplated, riding into the Hell and out in the same day! That is going to be seriously tough. I would rather start further away, say from Calitzdorp and ride over Kruisrivier, up the Pass and sleep in the Hell. Then ride out the next day, down to Prince Albert or back over the Swartberg pass to your starting point.

I think the trip to Die Hell and return from the turn off at the top of the pass is a trip on its own. It is worth the kip in the valley. Amazing place.

Calitzdorp - PA return to Oudtshoorn is doable and will be a good ride indeed and there are places for water along the way if you don't mind asking.

Recommend lights for the Calitzdorp -Oudtshoorn road though.I found the pass easier" from the PA side but I was not pushing it as I just wanted to get to wherever I was going. (And I am old and slow)

Slowbee, you will find this fascinating. Just do it.

Edited by Sepia