Workshop bike stand

Baracuda

The Marvel is the one that is also made by Tork.  It is fine for lighter road bikes.  MTB, not so good.  I have the PCS 9 and it is as solid as a rock and very stable.  After nearly 5 years and regular use, it is still as good as new. 

Appreciated, thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And from what I have read the difference between the 9 and 10 comes down to 1o being a bit more robust/sturdier with better clamps?

And from what I have read the difference between the 9 and 10 comes down to 1o being a bit more robust/sturdier with better clamps?

Correct. I researched it before getting my 10. The 9 is by no means a good stand but as with everything they always look to improve. I haven't used a 9 but the reviews I read were all positive. I knew I would be clamping a tandem so decided on the stronger stand just to be safe and at that stage it was only about a 1k difference in price.

I've had my PCS-10 for almost 2 years now and don't regret the extra zar. It even handles my tandem without any hassles. Just need to get that cool little tool tray that attaches to it.

I just got the tray for my PCS-10 (like 2 weeks ago) and honestly I'm not 100% sure its worth it. Can get in the way of spinning the crank depending on how the bike is clamped and it's also on the wrong side of the bike so you constantly have to reach through or around the bike to get anything out of it.

I just got the tray for my PCS-10 (like 2 weeks ago) and honestly I'm not 100% sure its worth it. Can get in the way of spinning the crank depending on how the bike is clamped and it's also on the wrong side of the bike so you constantly have to reach through or around the bike to get anything out of it.

Thanks for the info. Looks good in the pictures, but not so in real life.

Thanks for the info. Looks good in the pictures, but not so in real life.

My PRS-3.2 came with the tray, and I use it cos it's there. Definitely wouldn't spend extra on it - if you have the space to set your workshop up properly you'll find other places to put your tools.

If you're strapped for space it can be a useful thing though.

Marvel/Tork ... okay at best.  I use it to wash my bikes outside the garage.

Inside I have a proper sturdy stand.  Certainly dont like working on a bike that starts swaying about when you turn the pedal ....

invest in a decent stand.

I don't understand the hate for the Marvel/Tork stands. I've had mine for three years and have built/rebuild/serviced many bikes on it. From my wife's tiny hardtail to my big trail Bike.

You need to tighten it down well, then there is no movement.

I can appreciate the sturdiness of the Park Tool stands, but the Tork is by no means a crappy stand if used correctly.

I don't understand the hate for the Marvel/Tork stands. I've had mine for three years and have built/rebuild/serviced many bikes on it. From my wife's tiny hardtail to my big trail Bike.

I can appreciate the sturdiness of the Park Tool stands, but the Tork is by no means a crappy stand if used correctly.

For the price, it's better than turning your bike upside down on the floor. But that's about it IMO. I owned one briefly, and it slipped, wobbled and bent despite tightening the head almost to the point of breaking. I eventually gave it away to a former apprentice mechanic when he left.

FWIW, the base is solid. It's just the head that sucks. It is possible that you were lucky and got an outlier though.

Edited by droo

Whatever you do ... DONT try a proper stand ..... you may give the Marvel/Tork away ....

PCS 10 clamp is easier to use than the PCS 9. Nothing wrong with the PCS-9 with that being said. I have the 10 and it works for all bikes. The stands where you position fork and bb on is not suited for all frames. I think CRC has a sale on currently for PCS 10 for 1800 ex vat and post.

FWIW, the base is solid. It's just the head that sucks. It is possible that you were lucky and got an outlier though.

I've actually looked at that base, and reckon you can put a massive speaker on it and it will be better than what JBL sells. I've also though of putting a better head on mine, but it isn't enough of a hassle to do it. Maybe the fact that I almost exclusively clamp big bikes on the top tube is why I find it to be effective. My Tork is one of the first batch, maybe quality went down?

Whatever you do ... DONT try a proper stand ..... you may give the Marvel/Tork away ....

I use Park (nice clamp) and Feedback (nicely portable, decent clamp) stands regularly at friends places, and that is why I don't understand the hate towards it. IMO the Tork is not a crap stand. I certainly won't give it away. Unless someone gives me a Park stand for my workshop, and a Feedback stand to take with when traveling.

I've got a Feedback Sports Pro Elite workstand. It is a thing of beauty. So well designed and works flawlessly. A good workstand is worth it...

Reviving an old thread here - anyone had any experience with this Marvel stand?

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/marvel-t-2-workshop-stand

Currently I do not do any of my own repairs/maintenance but I would like to try and start. So essentially this is a step up from me turning my bike upside down to fiddle with brakes etc!

I have read all the reviews and Parktool is obviously first choice but it is 2k dearer than this. Or would buying a lesser quality stand be akin to buying a Makro bike ie money wasted, frustration etc and you end up with the Parktool stand in the long run anyway?

^^^^ You answered your own question...