Workshop bike stand

Baracuda

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at CWC's version. Picked one up for something like R400 and it's actually pretty damn well built. No idea how they got it so cheap.

Look at CWC's version. Picked one up for something like R400 and it's actually pretty damn well built. No idea how they got it so cheap.

Have a look on the CWCycles web site .

Looks like a couple of good options .

Dammit beat me to it!

CWC stand is the same as the Tork Craft stand and I have had one of those for over 3 years and do all my repairs, rebuilds and new builds with it.  Still going strong!!

Thanks for the quick reply. R400 is really inexpensive.

Is it strong enough to hold a downhill bike? 16kgs?

I don't know. Haven't actually tried breaking it. It handles 12kg or so without issue.

Get yourself a decent stand, the CWC Stand won't hold a DH bike, I had one... I gave it to my brother after I manage to find a PCS 10 Parktool Stand at a steal... 

And, I can pretty much say that, the Parktool Stand is a damn good investment and I wouldn't easily get rid of it.

I've serviced my DH bike on the same Tork Craft stand plenty but it's not exactly solid. It holds it and everything but you can tell the stand is straining, especially when tuning the gears.

I later bought a second stand for easy transport to races, X-Tools prep stand, which I way prefer. Far quicker to set up and adjust and way more stable. Also very light and collapses pretty small for travelling: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/x-tools-home-mechanic-prep-stand/rp-prod10226

It's priced similarly to the PCS 9, I think, but it is obviously a lot easier to transport.

Get yourself a decent stand, the CWC Stand won't hold a DH bike, I had one... I gave it to my brother after I manage to find a PCS 10 Parktool Stand at a steal... 

And, I can pretty much say that, the Parktool Stand is a damn good investment and I wouldn't easily get rid of it.

What he said. I think when it comes to bike stands if you buy a cheap one, you will soon have to buy another one. Rather buy a good one once. 

I had a Park Tool PCS 9 stand which could hold my bodyweight. It was simple, robust and heavy and could be stored under my bed. I sold it when I moved to SA and wish i hadn't. It took 2 years of abuse and was still in perfect working order when sold. 

Yes it held my Spaz Enduro which was over 16kg at the time.

although clamping on the top tube was better. 

Using the seatpost creates a lot of torque on the clamp arm on the CWC one as was prone to turn.

However, I have had no problem with clamping it on the top tube. Especially considering the price :)

If you like fixing your bike and you'll be doing it for a while, get the Park. Especially with 16kg of DH bike.

It could be worse, the workshop version's about R 12k.

I don't really recommend the CWC one.  I had one, but I hated it.  It does hold a bike, but not well.  You can't really hold a bike by the seat tube because it twists down - useless.  It's also difficult to adjust the clamp jaws while holding the weight of the bike with one hand.  And it's seriously flimsy.  

If you don't have a DH bike and you just want to use it to adjust your gears then fine.  Anything more than that and I'd say you should get a real stand.

Park Tool FTW