Are we being infiltrated?

Pikey

One of the main reasons I feel comfortable buying and selling stuff on the Hub is because of the Hubbers here that self moderate.

A scam is sniffed out here quicker than a Gupta can sniff out a tender.

Now that's just BS, they don't need to sniff it out they RECIEVE emails // orders before the process even begins ;) Edited by DIPSLICK

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

damn I can't even begin to imagine. Did you even come right or was everything on scam alert.

er, still looking.  :cursing: The only legit sounding sale was trying to play me, saying one was sold, had another but asking more than what it sells in the shop. Idiot! I told him to stay next to the phone, that was about 5 hrs ago..  ;)

Buying from the Hub isnt any safer than anywhere else online, you are fooling yourselves. a lot of people have been taken for a ride by a white druggie oke in PE here recently, my mate lost R5000. And he doesnt even bother hiding his real identity

Buying from the Hub isnt any safer than anywhere else online, you are fooling yourselves. a lot of people have been taken for a ride by a white druggie oke in PE here recently, my mate lost R5000. And he doesnt even bother hiding his real identity

Really C&C SERIAAAAAS????

You have to pay attention as I said a couple are stung,,,,,but I hardly think "isn't any safer than anywhere else on line """" sies thats a bit harsh IMHO

chalk & cheese ...I wouldn't even look on scumtree. If we (normal hubbers) look out and force these scumbags out of our community at least we stand a chance of getting an honest deal...

Trader ratings is there for a purpose and it works.

It's lekka that the community of this site is tight enough to handle this type of junk and most of it gets trashed before anyone can really get burnt! The hub, errr bikehub is nothing like scamtree or similar!

????????????????????

I must say. The ratings future works well. If i see i guy with a good rating i teld to trust him more. Also because i know the guys who rated him might know where he live just incase my people have to go pay him a visit. And visa versa. I think alot guys om the hub trust my ratings too. Thats why i sell 45k bikes over postage.

Or am I just being paranoid? Same number,same ad. Different name,conflicting pm to ad version.

I buy stuff all the time from ppl all over the country and never had an issue. But if this isn't dodgy I apologize.

Hahahahaha. With that almost generic scam (albeit Google translate) wording I'm surprised the ad didn't start off with "Dearest" or "I need your help dear friend" or "Need you to release clinchers from the The Central Bank Of Nigeria Apex Bank into your account".

maybe he is legit, has now taken a pic in front of his laptop with the hub open...if that is the case i apologise

We removed the prior ads and blocked the profile based on suspicious language use which suggested a lack of product knowledge (and the use of an image from elsewhere on the web).

The advertiser subsequently got in touch with us via email enquiring why the ads were removed. After explaining the situation I suggested that he take photos with our site open in the background to prove possession of the items.

As with any deal online I'd still proceed with caution and chat to the seller (ideally on the phone) to get a better feel for the situation, however we now know that the product is in his possession.

Dude, I spent the day phoning people from scumtree. Have to find something urgently and "annoying" just doesn't sum it up.

i am looking for a drone on olx and scumtree an to be honest i think of the 20-30 ads that i've browsed 1 or 2 looks/sounds legit......i have reported 2 ads where the scammers ad show magalies and when i asked where can i view the drone the first answer was Prieska and same seller sommer Caledon !!!! Yes i am now holding on to my cash!!!! 

We removed the prior ads and blocked the profile based on suspicious language use which suggested a lack of product knowledge (and the use of an image from elsewhere on the web).

The advertiser subsequently got in touch with us via email enquiring why the ads were removed. After explaining the situation I suggested that he take photos with our site open in the background to prove possession of the items.

As with any deal online I'd still proceed with caution and chat to the seller (ideally on the phone) to get a better feel for the situation, however we now know that the product is in his possession.

agreed extreme caution. So he has the wheels in his possession doesn't mean he legitimately acquired them. If he did ,I'll eat humble pie.

Perhaps english isn't his first language? It would explain:

'Shimano 9/10 times, convertible fold to 11'

Maybe he doesn't want his wife to know what the rims are really worth?

It would explain the firefox private browsing mode.

Trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here.

Bottom Line.

Anyone anyone selling something that unique should place a far more descriptive ad. 

But since he hasn't. Anyone who is interested should ask specific questions about the wheels before purchase. Dialogue regarding details can quickly confirm or refute any suspicion.