[Event] FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic

Rick Sanchez

Less than 4 months to go!

Doing my first one, and I will be doing the 80km :eek:

Training is not going as well as I would hope, but I am working on my climbing and TITS.

Share your training and nutrition strategies, as well as any tips here.

Specifically interested in hearing how the Gauteng guys will be training for the big one

http://www.stillwatersports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Slide14.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Training is not going as well as I would hope, but I am working on my climbing and TITS.

Specifically interested in hearing how the Gauteng guys will be training for the big one

Don't forget Lionman the week before the monster!! Two weeks of hard climbing. Will doing hills, hills and more hills from March to May!! Nutrition wise, I will definitely eat more leading up to breedts neck since after that its where the cramping starts!

Best tip most people will say for the Monster is save something in the tank for after the Monster. Slogging up the Monster (back of the Nek) is just that, a slog but it's the little rolling climbs afterwards that will hurt if you've burnt too many matches already

I have unfinishsed business...I can never decide what part of this race is the worst, the big climbs or the rolling climbs at the end, or soft sand in between, or the slippery rocky sections

I will be taking cramp block before and during this years event

Oh and the excuse I will go with is.. the spur high school mtb series.. it doesn't clash but hell there are a lot of events that involve weekends away ..[emoji12]

I have unfinishsed business...I can never decide what part of this race is the worst, the big climbs or the rolling climbs at the end, or soft sand in between, or the slippery rocky sections

That first loose rocky muther climb....the "monster" climb you can actually settle into a rythm...but on those baby heads, no chance

I just love that sand....

Entered the half last year with a bunch of mates.  They didn't pitch but I rode anyway.

Swore I would never, never be back...but seriously considering the FULL this year.

I need to get my head red. :unsure:

Just want to make sure, is the vertical gain in meters 1226m?

No, more like 1632m. Or that was at least what I got last year.

The Monster is actually not that bad, if you have paced yourself up to that point. 

What really busted my balls last year was that f#cking sand and the last rolling hills. Last year I rode too conservatively and felt fresh at the end. 

Last year was ***, they think making a route is done with a tractor and cutting through some veld, that section in the beginning was *** as you caught walkers which were the tail end of A batch.

I lost interest when they took you through that faarking beach just before crystal waters and eventually dilly dallied with MikeBike home in 5 hours.

I love the technical races but that goddam soft sand and mowed grasbolle was bullsh1t.

Drowned my sorrow in beer at the end which made my day.

Last year was ***, they think making a route is done with a tractor and cutting through some veld, that section in the beginning was *** as you caught walkers which were the tail end of A batch.

I lost interest when they took you through that faarking beach just before crystal waters and eventually dilly dallied with MikeBike home in 5 hours.

I love the technical races but that goddam soft sand and mowed grasbolle was bullsh1t.

Drowned my sorrow in beer at the end which made my day.

+1 here. Pulling a mower though a veld does not make it a route. I don't get the 'lets cut the veld for a new track to get from here to there' mentality. The Monster was always one of my favourite races but last year was just terrible. I appreciate a hectic blood from eyes race. I prefer them! But to just ride somewhere cause they had no other plan sucks

Edited by Grondpad