Get ready to enter for the 2017 Absa Cape Epic

News bot

In the first year(s) of the Cape Epic, I believe they started in Knysna those years, There was a different overnight spot every night, you raced from Point A to B, sleep. B to C, sleep, C to D, sleep, etc. So what's that, 7 race villages? And if I remember correctly the 2004 entry fee was just over R10k?

This year...

A to A

B to B

B to B

B to C

C to C

C to D

D to D

D to E

E to A

Less race villages, yet the entry fee has increased roughly 600% ? And that is WITH big name sponsors probably paying premium to hang their banner on the fence as well?

I wouldn't enter this race, ever, even if someone else pays. Purely out of respect for the other person's money.

That's nine days then?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't mind the Epic going the route it does with their focus and entry fees. There is a very nice 2nd tier (J2C, Pioneer, W2W, S2C, Berg and Bush, etc.) and third tier (think all the smaller stage races) that are hugely popular and offer better value for money. None have the bragging rights the Epic has, which is fine with me. I'm probably not Alpha male enough to want that medal THAT badly. On the whole its fantastic to have the Epic as we would not have seen the likes of Sauser, Lakata, Platt, etc. racing at our events throughout the year. Our best products are being exported every day (fruit, wine, etc.) and our best services are aimed at the international market (game lodges, exclusive yacht charters, helicopter charters, etc.) the Epic is no different. Trying to point out how out of kilter the value proposition is (apart from the Prestige factor) will merely frustrate us and create unnecessary animosity towards the event and the participants. The Epic does not have the best routes, is not the toughest (think Freedom Challenge) and does not have the best hospitality. It does however have a certain quality that attracts those who can pay the premium the event is asking.

The organizers got the route badly wrong this year, in my opinion. To pay what we did to push our bikes around what passes for mountain bike routes in Tulbagh, was an absolute disgrace. In the unlikely event that I shell out what must have added up to 100k ( entry, accom upgrade, bike mechanic, spare, services, flights and accom for family, etc) to do this race again, I will first wait for the route to be advertised.

I loved the 2014 route, this was nothing like it.

Pushing Jock? - what are you talking about? you are supposed to ride..... ;)

This epic had the least pushing of all of them for me - doubt we walked more than 2km - which is about 1/2 what we walked on the Citrusdal stage alone - we did however come appropriately geared with 2 front chainrings - and that 24/36 got used - a lot...

In the first year(s) of the Cape Epic, I believe they started in Knysna those years, There was a different overnight spot every night, you raced from Point A to B, sleep. B to C, sleep, C to D, sleep, etc. So what's that, 7 race villages? And if I remember correctly the 2004 entry fee was just over R10k?

This year...

A to A

B to B

B to B

B to C

C to C

C to D

D to D

D to E

E to A

Less race villages, yet the entry fee has increased roughly 600% ? And that is WITH big name sponsors probably paying premium to hang their banner on the fence as well?

I wouldn't enter this race, ever, even if someone else pays. Purely out of respect for the other person's money.

Think the first one cost less than that!

You can now do the knysna to Cape Town vibe every Feb, called the Transcape. Not aimed at the hyped up epic crowd so probably a lot more fun, but now in its 2/3rd year and doesn't have the bucketlist ticking crowds running after it yet

• 2 months later...

Pushing Jock? - what are you talking about? you are supposed to ride..... ;)

This epic had the least pushing of all of them for me - doubt we walked more than 2km - which is about 1/2 what we walked on the Citrusdal stage alone - we did however come appropriately geared with 2 front chainrings - and that 24/36 got used - a lot...

Only saw your post now.....I've entered again....pain already forgotten!!!  "only " 2 ks....but all uphill, stop start stuff...sandy...frustrating!

Only saw your post now.....I've entered again....pain already forgotten!!!  "only " 2 ks....but all uphill, stop start stuff...sandy...frustrating!

We are also in again for 2017 - entry is done and dusted.

I'm so so jealous, this year was our first one with the goal of to enjoy it and finish each day, especially after all the teams that were out by day 3 (it's not something we all get to do every year so make the most of it)

I'm already having serious issues of not doing it again next year, to all those that got in, go and enjoy it, it's a REALLY AWESOME experience.

(So if anyone is looking for a partner and want to do it with the goal of to finish this race, perhaps look this side, I'm a really patient guy, passionate rider with a big love for the sport and for me to help someone with whatever means of motivation or what else is a even greater reward for me) :)

Edited by Dominik

We are also in again for 2017 - entry is done and dusted.

Awesome! Hoping for a better route.....!

Awesome! Hoping for a better route.....!

I want a different prolog and last day's routes - the last day just sucked - and that prolog is getting boring - done it 3 times now - 4 if you count the last stage's overlap

You can make it a 100k, (not unlikely by next year) it will still be sold out in seconds.

Nah, saving up a bit and heading for Trans Alps instead.

I am selling an entry to Trans Alp if you are still looking for one?