Wheel building

Which hubs are these?

Novatec 482SB rear and 291 front.  I build all my own and most of my customers wheels on Novatec.    I just can't bring myself to spend big bucks on something that also has sealed bearings, straight axles and strong flanges.  For others I build what they want.  Usually I recommend Hope for the big guys -  good service and readily available in 36 hole version.  4 crosses and a Flow rim gives a robust wheel.  This one for a 127kg rider

post-9363-0-04707400-1468514877_thumb.jpg

Apart from bearings- which can go in any hub - I have had a problem with a Novatec axle before.  I have also had returns on Hope and DT Swiss but there are so many models and variants that you can't slate a brand for the exception.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David build my wheels for me and they are awsome. Double butted spokes, black brass nipples, novatec hubs and Dartmoor Raider rims.

Can highly recommend David.

Apart from bearings- which can go in any hub - I have had a problem with a Novatec axle before.  I have also had returns on Hope and DT Swiss but there are so many models and variants that you can't slate a brand for the exception.

The Novatec axle issues are usually caused by the drive side end cap working loose, which causes the freehub bearing to snap the axle at the interface.

A bit of blue loctite and some decent torque generally sorts it out.

A bit of blue loctite and some decent torque generally sorts it out.

So if I use my 1" drive torque wrench I should be good at about 1400Nm?

So if I use my 1" drive torque wrench I should be good at about 1400Nm?

I doubt it'll come loose after that. Maybe keep it at 1200 - it's a fine thread and you wouldn't want it to sieze.

• 10 months later...

Shimano Alfine 8-speed internal gear hub laced to a Flow rim. The epitome of durability

You could also use it as a boat anchor.

That said, when you decide to put it back on the bike after a few years it'll still work.

You could also use it as a boat anchor.

nah, use this wheel. use all the stuff you threw off the bike as the anchor!! and use the money savings from repair and maintenance to buy a better boat!  :clap:

• 4 months later...

Do you sell sapim cx-ray spokes?

Not specifically no. The guys who import Sapim won't sell directly to me because I work from home as opposed to a shop.

I get similar bladed spokes from Rapide.co.za and they're about a third of the price.

Not specifically no. The guys who import Sapim won't sell directly to me because I work from home as opposed to a shop.

I get similar bladed spokes from Rapide.co.za and they're about a third of the price.

Will send you a pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had the opportunity to build some cSixx wheels. What a pleasure.

I used Wheelsmith spokes, black brass nipples and Hope Pro4 hubs.

The wheels came together very well. These rims are pure class.

Saw them on your IG.   :drool:  :drool:  :drool: