Wheel building

35 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

#post not applicable to those of us who are tonedeaf

the jack spanner version is to sun a spanner over the spokes, they should make the same twang, if they go extra twang then the spoke is loose. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

#post not applicable to those of us who are tonedeaf

Sure, there's that.

Essentially, all the spokes on the same side of the wheel should have more or less the same tension, and if the wheel was built properly, shouldn't need adjustment.

A good wheel builder knows how to "settle" the spokes and nipples during the build process.

If the spokes came loose during a ride, they were not effectively tensioned to begin with.

3 hours ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

A properly-built wheel will never have to be touched or adjusted once delivered to a customer. 
Pluck each spoke like a guitar string and if they all sound the same, on each side of the wheel, the tensions are even. 
If the pitch is all over the place, the wheel wasn’t built well. 

Thanks very much Nick (and others who commented). I'll return the wheel today to give the LBS the opportunity to rectify their mistake. Everyone has a bad day, though unfortunately they have had a few of those with me over the past 6 months or so. If they don't get it right, will look for someone in Northern suburbs of CPT.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Edited by Roadie_

2 hours ago, Roadie_ said:

Thanks very much Nick (and others who commented). I'll return the wheel today to give the LBS the opportunity to rectify their mistake. Everyone has a bad day, though unfortunately they have had a few of those with me over the past 6 months or so. If they don't get it right, will look for someone in Northern suburbs of CPT.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Northern Suburbs is a wide area ...

Bellville - Mark's Workshop just off Voortrekker road.

Durbanville - Knipe_Racing

On 8/16/2022 at 5:36 PM, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

I've been asked to build some stunner wheel sets lately, so I thought I'd share some photos with you all.

Various carbon rims (South Industries, Nextie, Stans) on DT Swiss 240S & 350 hubs, with bladed spokes and brass nipples.
All came in between 1290 and 1390g per set.

What a lucky bugger I am that other people trust me to build their awesome wheels :)

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0814.jpg

DSC_0826.jpg

DSC_0940.jpg

DSC_0952.jpg

DSC_0971.jpg

Looking at this when i need a new hub is painful. How nice though. 

7 hours ago, Roadie_ said:

Thanks again. Cheers.

Unfortunately many “wheelbuilders” as they get labeled as or self profess, do not use a spoke tension meter, and some who do, tend to use some sub par digital tool that’s not even fit for measuring the tightness of the curls on a Boksburg perm.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Just want to show off my latest build.

Carbon gravel wheels, 25mm inner width, bladed spokes and brass nipples.

1095g before rim tape and valves. 

3AAB76BE-27B7-4E4D-B58F-F26E04CE5594.jpg

3C97A7D6-5276-4B1B-9B7B-8E12D1E43F33.jpg

B4D0FAA9-E8CB-4DDF-9329-BDE2B307BDEC.jpg

Out of interest, what spokes were used on this build? 

Another of those 'builds with what I have' jobs ... thanks to Grumpy for the rim and a few other bits! Took almost a week but I have time,  it's ok.

@patches 'silver spokes are for poor people' circa mid 2000's ... ok so I painted those few odd spokes red 😎

Replaced a rim that irritated me because it had a CF repair near the brake surface and made for interesting brake 'feel', so before I dondered off unnecessarily ....

20230710_080529.jpg

20230710_090106.jpg

6 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

ok so I painted those few odd spokes red 😎

You are from the Souff so it's to be expected.

(My car is from round there and has gold rims, which is how I know)

8 minutes ago, droo said:

You are from the Souff so it's to be expected.

(My car is from round there and has gold rims, which is how I know)

*back to the garage to check if I still have that gold paint I used on my disk brake calipers*

• 2 months later...