Wheel building

Just  a quick question on truing. I've watched a few videos and there seems to be 2 main techniques. Which is the better one?

a: Tighten a spoke

b: Tighten a spoke and loosen the 2 surrounding spokes

Edit: I had a quick look in Jobst's book and method b looks to be the better way. Method a might work, but could affect the radial truing. There's a lot going on with wheel building and truing... radial, lateral, tension, dishing, it's quite the balancing act!

Edited by Jacquers

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just  a quick question on truing. I've watched a few videos and there seems to be 2 main techniques. Which is the better one?

a: Tighten a spoke

b: Tighten a spoke and loosen the 2 surrounding spokes

Edit: I had a quick look in Jobst's book and method b looks to be the better way. Method a might work, but could affect the radial truing. There's a lot going on with wheel building and truing... radial, lateral, tension, dishing, it's quite the balancing act!

Depends why the wheel is out. If it's just one loose spoke, tighten it. If there's more going on you'll need to balance tension wile keeping true, dish and hop in balance. Which is where a truing stand and lots of practice come into play.

If you're just tightening up one spoke you can also overtension it, causing it to either snap or pull through the rim.

Depends why the wheel is out. If it's just one loose spoke, tighten it. If there's more going on you'll need to balance tension wile keeping true, dish and hop in balance. Which is where a truing stand and lots of practice come into play.

If you're just tightening up one spoke you can also overtension it, causing it to either snap or pull through the rim.

Thanks. I broke a spoke, so hopefully replacing it will bring the wheel (mostly) back to being straight.

When replacing the spoke, tension it up slowly, and pluck it like a guitar string. Compare its sound to the spokes next to it on the SAME side of the wheel. Once it "sounds" like the spokes on either side of it, you should be good to go, and the wheel should be fairly true, assuming it was built properly originally.

I'm looking for a spoke to replace a broken one. It's a straight pull, 270 mm. From an old Mavic Crossride 26 rear wheel. It doesn't need to be bladed and the others have square 3.2mm nipples, which I have spares from another wheelset.

Went to the LBS yesterday and they didn't seem very keen to help. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Jacquers

I'm looking for a spoke to replace a broken one. It's a straight pull, 270 mm. From an old Mavic Crossride 26 rear wheel. It doesn't need to be bladed and the others have square 3.2mm nipples, which I have spares from another wheelset.

Went to the LBS yesterday and they didn't seem very keen to help. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Rapide.co.za sell them.

Hey Jacquers

I have a whole heap of old Mavic nipples and original black and silver spokes from a 26er wheelset.

Let me know if you want me to send some pictures.

PM me.

• 7 months later...

As I complete noob I'd say cause either the spokes won't reach the rim or poke through the rim tape

That is why we have long nipples.  As long as one or two threads grip and you can't see the rest the spoke fits! :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

Question to the wheelbuilders ..

I have a Ritchey Vantage 142mm hub which I'm converting back to 135mm, waiting for the conversion axle and caps to arrive but might be another week. But I'm ready to build/lace the wheel now.

Wanted to know if the conversion is going to shift the center/dishing? Logic says it should still be centered, and the 135mm will reduce length equally left and right?

post-20017-0-14812700-1596132490_thumb.jpg

Question to the wheelbuilders ..

I have a Ritchey Vantage 142mm hub which I'm converting back to 135mm, waiting for the conversion axle and caps to arrive but might be another week. But I'm ready to build/lace the wheel now.

Wanted to know if the conversion is going to shift the center/dishing? Logic says it should still be centered, and the 135mm will reduce length equally left and right?

99% sure you're correct, at least I've never had my wheels dished when changing to end caps

To anyone it might concern

I've got A Park WAG-3 dish gauge and complete set of spoke keys I'd like to swop for a bearing press (or at least the arms and rod I'll have spacers made up)

They were used to build one wheel and never again, pristine condition

I'm looking for some feedback and/or advice on carbon rims please.

I'm gonna need a set of wheels in a couple of months and decided to do my first build.

I'm looking at getting the Stans Arch CB7 carbon rims and build them with Hope Pro4 hubs that I already have.

Is there someone here that are using these rims that can give me some feedback on them ?

How do they handle/perform ? How durable are they ? 

The wheelset will be used on a Pyga OneTen29. Any other suggestions or advice will be welcome.

Thanks.