IS IT TRUE? Cycle Lab buying CWCycles? (Poll Added)

JDipstiek

What do you think  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Should CWC sell?

• Yes
    • No

Ironic though if you remember CL & others were implicated in price fixing, and CWC went solo with its own imports in order to offer decent pricing ...  CL might be doing this to close that down.

Or maybe Oom Chris is gatful of bikes and wants to go chill out on the Wes Kus?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about this last week from another store owner.

Basically I think CL is after the CWC Online Store software, site management and distribution model.

I was also told what the price was that it was sold for.  Not telling, but the figure I heard was substantial.

Ironic though if you remember CL & others were implicated in price fixing, and CWC went solo with its own imports in order to offer decent pricing ...  CL might be doing this to close that down.

Or maybe Oom Chris is gatful of bikes and wants to go chill out on the Wes Kus?

hermanus...

I hope this is not true.

Most of the bike shops cannot compete with CWC and beat their prices on cycling equipment, apparel and so on. If it's true, it would be more about eliminating the competitor, which would not be in our interests as consumers.

If CL does not have good and frequent deals / sales now already then it's very unlikely that, that, would happen if they took over CWC.

If CL wants a bigger presence in Cape Town then they should just open a new store. I'm not a fan of them and I've not had good experiences with them either.

Let's see what happens.

In all honesty, the past couple of sales they didn't offer anything to me personally where i went "WOW thats a great deal" nor have i bought anything except one tyre and a set of grips in the past probably 12 months. 

I am not saying their one day sales aren't great but for all my other things i need i go to other online stores which offer the same great prices and even sometimes better service.

I hope this is not true.

Most of the bike shops cannot compete with CWC and beat their prices on cycling equipment, apparel and so on. If it's true, it would be more about eliminating the competitor, which would not be in our interests as consumers.

If CL does not have good and frequent deals / sales now already then it's very unlikely that, that, would happen if they took over CWC.

If CL wants a bigger presence in Cape Town then they should just open a new store. I'm not a fan of them and I've not had good experiences with them either.

Let's see what happens.

You have seen this on Cyclelab website.

post-7-0-71946300-1460608517_thumb.jpg

I sincerely hope not, we dont need more monopolies in South Africa.

If Cyclelab buy CWC like others have said the days of asking for stuff to be on sale will be nothing but a distant memory.

I really couldnt care less if my stuff is a grey import or not from CWC, I vote with my wallet. 

Why must I pay an "agent / importer" fees for bringing the goods in and distributing them to all the shops with a fat margin on.

Please dont let this sale be true, I personally dont see any value in it for anyone except the man making the sale. In saying that I guess its his choice.

bet you haven't tried evobikes yet :ph34r:

I gave them a go the other day and was very happy with how quick they delivered, prices are a bit iffy though on a lot of items which can be got cheaper elsewhere.

Suppose its the same as whether you buy your huggies toilet paper from Woolies or PnP.

The fact that no one from cwc is commenting here is a little telling.....

Either way kudos to Oom Chris for running a tight ship this long that this is not just airy fairy speculation. Chris jnr bringing in the online side of things had clearly been one of the biggest cycle retail success stories. Not that easy getting this right in a family business.

I thought by now you posh joburg yuppies would have pooled funds to bankroll a branch up there by now!

It's difficult to believe that a person built up that business and got the family involved, grown it over so many years and I'm sure Chris Snr hoped that one day his kids will take over the business and keep on growing and now decide to sell the "family business"

Chris Willemse Cycles was also very involved in the community with their annual blanket collection for the less fortunate as well as bicycles for less fortunate children. This made me a huge fan of them and I sure do hope that CL keep this initiative and put back into the community and not only in their own pockets.  

You have seen this on Cyclelab website.

I guess most people don't want to go through the whole rigmarole of getting them to lower their prices on every single thing you want to buy just so that you can buy it from them. That's the catch with that whole "we will beat any advertised price" deal. Thing is, you can just as well buy the stuff from the person who has the lower price already. It's not like the say "we will beat any other price by 10%" they just have to beat it by 1c to hold true to their advert.

Sometimes it is nice to just browse a site - see the real prices - and then decide if you would like to pay that price or not. Simple.

The fact that no one from cwc is commenting here is a little telling.....

Either way kudos to Oom Chris for running a tight ship this long that this is not just airy fairy speculation. Chris jnr bringing in the online side of things had clearly been one of the biggest cycle retail success stories. Not that easy getting this right in a family business.

I thought by now you posh joburg yuppies would have pooled funds to bankroll a branch up there by now!

They probably cannot say anything until there is an official press release... so yes is telling that no one has come on the hub from CWC to confirm or deny the rumour

I heard about this last week from another store owner.

Basically I think CL is after the CWC Online Store software, site management and distribution model.

I was also told what the price was that it was sold for.  Not telling, but the figure I heard was substantial.

You don't have to buy a business just to get your hands on a decent online shop system. There are probably lots of open source web shops available for download that you can mostly just plug in to your website.

I'm thinking CL are taking over CWC purely to take out the competition.

I have never bought a single item from CL.

Guest notmyname

Old Mutual or More Cycle Group? Big difference, even indirectly. Wonder if they'll end up buying TheHub as well !! :o :ph34r:

Everything is for sale with the correct application of the chosen lube.

Archived