Iwan Kemp

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested there will be a Silverback demo day this Sat 21st at Helderberg Farms. 

Saturday – 21 May 2016
Day starts at 09:00
Ride can be booked on: http://events.silverbacklab.com/
Should finish at 16:00 latests, but can come ride at anytime if you bring your own bike, or book your time slot.

I spoke to his dad this weekend at the Trailseeker. They are now being semi-sponsored by SB, and got them at cost. Life is unfair. :whistling:

My son is riding with Matthew's old Giant backup XTC Advanced SL 29er frame. We have to make do with hand me downs and Bikehub classifieds.

Get a giant anthem x advanced. They are amazing xc bikes. Just ask Alan Hatherly...

For those interested there will be a Silverback demo day this Sat 21st at Helderberg Farms. 

Saturday – 21 May 2016
Day starts at 09:00
Ride can be booked on: http://events.silverbacklab.com/
Should finish at 16:00 latests, but can come ride at anytime if you bring your own bike, or book your time slot.

Tested the Sesta, loved every minute.

The question: how does it compare to the Vipa and Cube Ams 100?

Matt (Admin) would be best to answer this one as he has ridden all 3 in just about the same month. See my comments below

Hi Ivan 

You need to give us your thoughts on the Sesta vs Vipa 

You can even PM me ......

My VIPA was a custom build with XC/Trail riding in mind.120mm fork, dropper post, Wide Lightning wheels, wide bar and short stem...etc. Really liked it - in fact, liked it so much I bought a second after I sold my first! It's not really a like for like comparison between what I had and what I rode here.

All I can say, and with a little more emphasis than in the review: the Sesta is a great bike and worthy of consideration regardless of budget or brand preference. Park what you know / knew about Silverback and give the Sesta a spin. It's a great bike that punches FAR above its MSRP class. 

If I had to buy a bike in it's class today the Sesta would be top of my list of bikes to consider. The fact that it can hold its own against boutique brands costing twice the price for no apparent reason should make this the bike of choice by default. 

(I'll take mine with dropper routing, thanks!)

Matt (Admin) would be best to answer this one as he has ridden all 3 in just about the same month. See my comments below

My VIPA was a custom build with XC/Trail riding in mind.120mm fork, dropper post, Wide Lightning wheels, wide bar and short stem...etc. Really liked it - in fact, liked it so much I bought a second after I sold my first! It's not really a like for like comparison between what I had and what I rode here.

All I can say, and with a little more emphasis than in the review: the Sesta is a great bike and worthy of consideration regardless of budget or brand preference. Park what you know / knew about Silverback and give the Sesta a spin. It's a great bike that punches FAR above its MSRP class. 

If I had to buy a bike in it's class today the Sesta would be top of my list of bikes to consider. The fact that it can hold its own against boutique brands costing twice the price for no apparent reason should make this the bike of choice by default. 

(I'll take mine with dropper routing, thanks!)

:thumbup:

Well said, the last three Silverbacks I have ridden (2 x sliders, 1 x fat bike) have all had a really good feel to them and offered up great rides.

There is a little magic in the Silverback Brand.

The question: how does it compare to the Vipa and Cube Ams 100?

Hi Ivan 

You need to give us your thoughts on the Sesta vs Vipa 

You can even PM me ......

Okay, I'll budge. My take on the Cube AMS, Vipa XT and Sesta having ridden all three recently...

For starters my own ride is the Vipa XT, 2015 spec, pretty much stock with Fox 32 100 upfront and Float on the rear. 

Cube AMS 100: I was really impressed by this bike - it's super stiff and ultra efficient. To me it feels a little more "racey" than the other two thanks to the steeper head angle and suspension design. I'd be less inclined to bomb it down a rocky or rooty trail than the other two. I did, and it's perfectly capable though, but perhaps more aimed at a serious racer. 

Vipa XT: I'm a little biased since I own one. I love it, it suits my typical riding very well and am not rushing to get something new just yet. Although on paper the rear travel is shorter than the others, you feel like you have a bit more available and that you can play a little more than on the Cube. Ideally I'd like to switch out the Fox for Rockshox, but it has served me well in multiple stage races and even the occasional enduro.

Sesta Race: I was immediately comfortable on this bike. Partly because the geometry is very close to Vipa, but also thanks to the lower standover and slightly longer top tube. It gave the feeling of being more "in" the bike than "on" it. Performance wise it's very stiff and responsive when you need it and fun to throw around a bit on trails.

If I had R60k to spend? For me it would be between the Vipa and the Sesta. Both suit my riding preferences a little more with the slacker head angle and more playful characteristics. The Sesta would take it narrowly based on spec. Rockshox wins this round for me! 

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, I'll budge. My take on the Cube AMS, Vipa XT and Sesta having ridden all three recently...

For starters my own ride is the Vipa XT, 2015 spec, pretty much stock with Fox 32 100 upfront and Float on the rear. Cube AMS 100: I was really impressed by this bike - it's super stiff and ultra efficient. To me it feels a little more "racey" than the other two thanks to the steeper head angle and suspension design. I'd be less inclined to bomb it down a rocky or rooty trail than the other two. I did, and it's perfectly capable though, but perhaps more aimed at a serious racer. Vipa XT: I'm a little biased since I own one. I love it, it suits my typical riding very well and am not rushing to get something new just yet. Although on paper the rear travel is shorter than the others, you feel like you have a bit more available and that you can play a little more than on the Cube. Ideally I'd like to switch out the Fox for Rockshox, but it has served me well in multiple stage races and even the occasional enduro.Sesta Race: I was immediately comfortable on this bike. Partly because the geometry is very close to Vipa, but also thanks to the lower standover and slightly longer top tube. It gave the feeling of being more "in" the bike than "on" it. Performance wise it's very stiff and responsive when you need it and fun to throw around a bit on trails.If I had R60k to spend? For me it would be between the Vipa and the Sesta. Both suit my riding preferences a little more with the slacker head angle and more playful characteristics. The Sesta would take it narrowly based on spec. Rockshox wins this round for me!

Matt and Iwan, thank you for the feedback.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Matt and Iwan 

I sold my 3 rd Vipa ( xt ) last week 

Awaiting a Silverback Sido 1 for a ride for the next few months 

Can't wait !

• 1 month later...

Thanks Matt and Iwan 

I sold my 3 rd Vipa ( xt ) last week 

Awaiting a Silverback Sido 1 for a ride for the next few months 

Can't wait !

Hey Crosschain,

Did you get your Sido 1 yet?

What's your opinion?

• 1 year later...

Will the frame accept an internal dropper post? It looks as if there might be a hole on the downtube, what is that for?

• 2 weeks later...

Super Bleak, I just bought the Lund contour internal dropper thinking the Sesta can take this as it had the hole at the bottom of the seat tube but it seems the pivot for the rear suspension is in the way...