[Event] Bestmed Jock Cycle Classique

Events Bot

Really enjoyed the race.  Took it nice and easy and still finished a few seconds within target.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great race, really enjoyed it. But....no beers at the end!!!!!!

Seemed like everyone was keen to hang around and have a beer, chat to those they'd met on the road and instead we all just left to do our own thing

Great race, really enjoyed it. But....no beers at the end!!!!!!

Seemed like everyone was keen to hang around and have a beer, chat to those they'd met on the road and instead we all just left to do our own thing

There was definitely beers at the finish, it went down like a homesick mole

My thoughts on the race (organization) as a whole - 

Stage 1 - Easily found the tog bag vehicles. Great idea. Start area was big enough. Parking for vehicles seemed sufficient. 

The route proved to be challenging at times, with the short, sharp climbs. Road surface going down the BEEG hill was truly terrifying, clocking 80km/h+, smelling tyres and brakes. Very thankful that no one crashed. Little uphill finish could be punishing if you weren't aware. 

First pitstop (school) - lots of place to relax. Food looked like "koshuis" food. Only managed to grab a muffin, queues were plenty long. Ablution facilities were adequate. 

Stage 2 - Spitskop was a total killer! Have to back just to tackle that SOB again! I found this stage the most difficult. 

Second pitstop - ASG website said that the second pitstop would be at the primary school, but ended up at the country club? Neagtive mark for ASG there. Venue was too small. Food was ok. Traffic getting out of the venue was a nightmare. They should really not use the SCC again.

Stage 3 - Long Tom. 8-10% gradient, approx 8km long. If you have a strong head going into the hill, you'll make it to the top. It remains a solid challenge nonetheless. 

My thoughts on my race - 

Stage 1 - Solid. Managed to finish in the second bunch. 

Stage 2 - Spitskop broke me. Legs felt like jelly at the end of the stage. Most difficult stage (and interestingly, the stage with the most elevation gain and lowerest elevation loss).

Stage 3 - The crowd next to the road (Long Tom) motivating the cyclists was a great touch. Little climb back to the stadium is a nice killer.

Overall, another great race by ASG. This is now the second race this year presented by ASG that I highly commend. 

I see both versions of the Jock appears on the Discovery Vitality racing calendar (from the link they posted on their updated  points emailer) Does this mean we get 50% back of our entry fees?

I see both versions of the Jock appears on the Discovery Vitality racing calendar (from the link they posted on their updated  points emailer) Does this mean we get 50% back of our entry fees?

Highly unlikely :P

If you do find out how to get it back let us know.

Technically - yes. If it's on the calendar then they should pay.

Reality - you'll have to wait and see.

Payment is made in the next billing cycle after the end of the quarter, i.e. July-Sep events with payment in October. If the event is close to the end of the quarter and the results have not been received, then it goes into the next cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the PPA seeding is up for this years Jock Classique. 

Clearly its not correct as they have the winning time for Stage #2 as 18 minutes and Stage #3 even faster at 28 Seconds.

I have also seen that ASG have seeded all three stages as one this year.  Last year each stage was individually seeded.

Had a look at the tour results, plus minus spot on for my seeding, just in "A" except day two where I popped up long john.