Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

If anyone in the Krugersdorp or Pretoria-East area is looking for a bit of extra cash, we have a small project here at work which needs doing - it's to build a test-rig for our insulation tests (we manufacture roof and factory insulation).  Will need to be made out of wood though so that we limit the heat transfer.  We have a rough idea of what we need off the Internet, but there will need to be a few changes.  Must also be neat and smart enough for us to display in our Reception area, and at shows.

Drop me a pm if you think it's something you would like doing!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone in the Krugersdorp or Pretoria-East area is looking for a bit of extra cash, we have a small project here at work which needs doing - it's to build a test-rig for our insulation tests (we manufacture roof and factory insulation).  Will need to be made out of wood though so that we limit the heat transfer.  We have a rough idea of what we need off the Internet, but there will need to be a few changes.  Must also be neat and smart enough for us to display in our Reception area, and at shows.

Drop me a pm if you think it's something you would like doing!

I have need of some insulation myself now that you mention it.  My garage roof leaks too much water when it rains real hard, and the walls leaks too much cold and moisture.  I have an idea so far to use the normal plastic insulation, fixed by wood battens on the wall, and then covered with Rhinoboard.  Would like to hear your thoughts.

We manufacture Alububble and Alutherm - www.alububble.co.za

I'll be honest, I look after the maintenance of the machines which make alububble so I'm not too clued up on the R-Value (which is what you will need to have as high as possible to insulate your garage) but part of the project we are working on which involves building the test rig mentioned above is to be able to test the temperature drop across some experimental products we have made, before we send them off for the expensive actual tests.

You'll probably want to chat to a few Architects to get the best solution, and then once you know, we can find some offcuts for you to test.

Or you wait a few weeks for our test rig to be built, we simulate your garage wall, and find the product which works the best!

I have need of some insulation myself now that you mention it.  My garage roof leaks too much water when it rains real hard, and the walls leaks too much cold and moisture.  I have an idea so far to use the normal plastic insulation, fixed by wood battens on the wall, and then covered with Rhinoboard.  Would like to hear your thoughts.

My limited experience with water and damp is the only way to solve the problem is to keep the water away from the building. Damp will penetrate the walls and rot the wood battens. Is the water coming up from the foundations or through the wall?

My limited experience with water and damp is the only way to solve the problem is to keep the water away from the building. Damp will penetrate the walls and rot the wood battens. Is the water coming up from the foundations or through the wall?

Both.  My plan is to try and isolate the battens from the water/damp via a normal black plastic isolation.

Treating the source of the damp is problematic, as the neighbour's garage is built right next to mine, and the garage was probably built in a hurry without all the required damp prevention is the first place.  The usual 'let's just built 4 walls with a tin roof for the cars' garage. To properly fix it I would have to break the whole structure down and rebuild.

EDIT:  Must add that the dampness through the walls is not that bad, just bad enough to make the place chilly.  The battens may last 25 years, after which it will be the next owner's problem.  The floor could be managed with epoxy paint or those plastic floor covering.

Edited by Moridin

Both.  My plan is to try and isolate the battens from the water/damp via a normal black plastic isolation.

Treating the source of the damp is problematic, as the neighbour's garage is built right next to mine, and the garage was probably built in a hurry without all the required damp prevention is the first place.  The usual 'let's just built 4 walls with a tin roof for the cars' garage. To properly fix it I would have to break the whole structure down and rebuild.

EDIT:  Must add that the dampness through the walls is not that bad, just bad enough to make the place chilly.  The battens may last 25 years, after which it will be the next owner's problem.  The floor could be managed with epoxy paint or those plastic floor covering.

Eish. Difficult indeed. 

Is there no boundary wall between them, or does the garage form part of the boundary wall on his / your side?

No boundary wall.  Basically, our two garage walls are built right next to each other, with about a 5cm gap between them.

No boundary wall.  Basically, our two garage walls are built right next to each other, with about a 5cm gap between them.

Any difference in height between the 2? Can you get in under the "eaves" (assuming htere are none due to the proximity)

Very difficult. Almost the only thing you could do is make some sort of shared trough as a gutter... Unless you could get some material with a weighted bottom end to go down in the gap. Large plastic tarp with a lat at the bottom. Drop it inbetween the walls and then tension it by fastening to the front and back walls... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

What about filling the gap with a waterproof slurry type of waterproof concrete? Sika (and I am sure ABE do it as well) make an additive for plaster that waterproofs it so pretty sure you can mix up some DIY waterproof concrete. That will stop water getting in and then get hold of someone like Flick Damp Proofing and get them to inject the wall at the base to prevent rising damp. The top of the wall should be capped/flashed to stop water getting in as well. 

Can you join the two roofs together at the top of the apex and seal it?

An epoxy resin floor coating should take care of the floor. However if there is no damp course you may have a problem....

To get back to woodworking.  Some of you don't want to maybe buy me this:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Product/159073/Tasai-Damascus-Pattern-Blue-Steel-Multi-Hollow-Back-Chisel-Set-with-Ebony-Handles-in-Signed-Box.aspx

EDIT:  Added pics to show why Myles is drooling...

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Images/products/400/159073.jpg

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/images/site/159073_set.jpg

Edited by Moridin

Wife and daughters bikes were getting in way so i built racks for them in the spare room...need to stain them dark like everything else in the room.

And no the derailleur doesnt touch the wall.

91de904354b748268dcd4936b57ec5c8.jpg

Edited by isetech

We manufacture Alububble and Alutherm - www.alububble.co.za

I'll be honest, I look after the maintenance of the machines which make alububble so I'm not too clued up on the R-Value (which is what you will need to have as high as possible to insulate your garage) but part of the project we are working on which involves building the test rig mentioned above is to be able to test the temperature drop across some experimental products we have made, before we send them off for the expensive actual tests.

You'll probably want to chat to a few Architects to get the best solution, and then once you know, we can find some offcuts for you to test.

Or you wait a few weeks for our test rig to be built, we simulate your garage wall, and find the product which works the best!

Where can I buy this stuff?  And how much would it cost me?

When I come back from our winter holiday I want to tackle this job in my garage.

So do you think I can find a supplier that stocks a plane iron (blade) for a Stanley #6 plane in Southern Africa. Stupendous price if and when available but not anytime soon.

Normal blade is 2" wide and one for a #6 is 2 3/8" wide.

And the exchange rate is not helping.

Any info on hand tool suppliers in Britain like the CRC for hand tools?

So I was walking through Wardkiss in Sydney Road to today at lunchtime and look what I found:

post-17843-0-80100000-1466167625_thumb.jpg

Amazing - how did you remember?

I will contant them and see if they would post me two.

Otherwise ask who the agents are I'm sure they must be available here too then. I have not seen them here yet.

That price looks reasonable too.

This one came with the plane - CAN you get any shorter

Thanx

post-7577-0-50291200-1466177387_thumb.jpg

Edited by porqui