Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

A thing of beauty just arrived...Thanks pants Boy, pragtige stukkie werk!

Sjoe! Are you sure you're going to want to use that?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics, and kind words. Now go moer something :)

Looks very pretty - my only comment would be that the handle should taper slightly towards the head of the mallet - so when you are using it it will not tend to slip out of your hand on the stroke - a criticism I have of some surgical mallets too, which can get pretty slippery and hard to hang on to.

Looks very pretty - my only comment would be that the handle should taper slightly towards the head of the mallet - so when you are using it it will not tend to slip out of your hand on the stroke - a criticism I have of some surgical mallets too, which can get pretty slippery and hard to hang on to.

I have some pre-preg carbon sheets sitting in my freezer at home that would handle that job (har har) pretty well... 

The decision has been taken not to.

Even my two sons, who are 10 and 6 went WOW!

pussy....

I say that fully knowing I'll probably do that, too, and get a rubber mallet like the Samurai okie has. 

pussy....

I say that fully knowing I'll probably do that, too, and get a rubber mallet like the Samurai okie has. 

Just get a Bergie to make you one after you receive yours from Pants Boy, that way you have a reason not to use your "bespoke" mallet :thumbup:

I think I need to do that. My initial thought process was to wrap the handles with paracord, but that Beech is just so lekker smooth, and the size is just perfect. Paracord would have made them just a tad too thick.

I'll be tapering the next set of handles though.

And shame on you lot for not using the mallets to moer things - that's why I made them :(

I think I need to do that. My initial thought process was to wrap the handles with paracord, but that Beech is just so lekker smooth, and the size is just perfect. Paracord would have made them just a tad too thick.

I'll be tapering the next set of handles though.

And shame on you lot for not using the mallets to moer things - that's why I made them :(

Oh, I can assure you they'll be used. Just also wiped and cleaned before being put away again. 

Also - just downloaded the latest Lee Valley tools catalogue. FML. I need more money. 

Reversed Dovetails, love it. 

And such precise and neat workmanship.... :whistling:

Edited by Wannabe

Okay boys, so - table saw or circular saw. I DESPISE my current table saw (Ryobi POS) so am looking to replace it with something else. Problem being - table saws are expensive. I have my sliding mitre saw, so crosscuts aren't a problem unless the material is more than 300mm wide. And I don't mind working on trestles or a workbench, or with guide rails. I know that the table saw is more easy to use cos you can just set the fence and rip away, but TBH I don't see myself spending 8k - 10k on a single item just yet. Far rather spend that on 3 items.

Thoughts? 

There's a pretty neat table saw at Huster Machine Tools (I always think Hustler) on Voortekker Road. It's around R10 000 if I remember, and is either Korean or Taiwanese, but it's a well-made machine and everything works tightly and smoothly. But what I liked is that it is like a miniature panel saw, so there's a small table on the left that moves on rails, perfect for accurate crosscuts. It's worth having a look anyway ....

Plus there are very nice bandsaws there. I'd give my eye teeth to have one of those again.