Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Easiest would be to wash the varnish with washing soda (pick and pay) - this is different to sugar soap -  and prime with oil based primer then paint - why sand it a beyond a light scratch for adhesion?....

that was my next question. I was going to ask if there is an alternative to sanding. I have beautiful Jarrah floors though so will need to be careful of splashing.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that was my next question. I was going to ask if there is an alternative to sanding. I have beautiful Jarrah floors though so will need to be careful of splashing.

You will - plastic and carpet underlay below that in case of spills - but washing soda needs eye protection and gloves to use - but it's less caustic than sugar soap by far - and for short periods can be used bare handed if you rinse your hands afterwards.

Wash the wood with green 3m kitchen scrubbies (forget what they are called) - it will almost strip off the varnish - you will see if you try a test strip - once it is clean enough then just rinse with water, let dry, and paint.

Should be a lot easier and quicker than sanding - and less cleanup.

Thats awesome. 

How did you cut them out?

The patience behind dovetails is something else.

I cheat :)

Router and dovetail plate/jig. If you are patient and meticulous with your setup, cutting them is a breeze. Made these boxes, on all four corners, in 12 minutes flat. 1 minute to position wood, 2 minutes to cut dovetails along 450mm. With a jig you cut the pin and slot at the same time, saving a lot of time. Pine is very soft, thus it goes a lot quicker than hardwoods. You need to watch the pieces the whole time, if they start moving you have to cut power and re-affix. The set-up and testing take about 30 minutes 

I cheat :)

Router and dovetail plate/jig. If you are patient and meticulous with your setup, cutting them is a breeze. Made these boxes, on all four corners, in 12 minutes flat. 1 minute to position wood, 2 minutes to cut dovetails along 450mm. With a jig you cut the pin and slot at the same time, saving a lot of time. Pine is very soft, thus it goes a lot quicker than hardwoods. You need to watch the pieces the whole time, if they start moving you have to cut power and re-affix. The set-up and testing take about 30 minutes 

Heathen, here you had us all thinking you had some mad skills,  :ph34r:

Still would like to see how you get such sharp corners with a router.

Sharp bits at high speed. And not launching into it like a madman. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Lots and lots of practice. Sharp bits, smooth bearings, great setup etc etc etc. 

I'll see if I have photos of my hand-cut dovetails somewhere ... these are just so much more practical in a busy workshop. Making these with hammer and chisel would have taken the best part of a day, and looked and functioned the same, and that in something that is supposed to be low-cost and quick.

That's the big trade-off when doing something for money - you sometimes have to take the quicker route to make something profitable. 

Lots and lots of practice. Sharp bits, smooth bearings, great setup etc etc etc. 

I'll see if I have photos of my hand-cut dovetails somewhere ... these are just so much more practical in a busy workshop. Making these with hammer and chisel would have taken the best part of a day, and looked and functioned the same, and that in something that is supposed to be low-cost and quick.

That's the big trade-off when doing something for money - you sometimes have to take the quicker route to make something profitable. 

I have one in a table but have not found a use for it yet, may need to dust it off and play with a few scraps.

Also have an electric planer mounted upside-down on a steel base, that thing frightens the cr@p out've me every time i try use it.

When I saw those wide pins, I knew somebody had better own up.  :whistling:

Which jig?  Or your own made jig? Leigh jigs very expensive.

Edited by Moridin

HAHAHAHA, thats why I asked how did he cut those out.

I know some people that have jigs for different joints etc.

Think I got it from Adendorfs - made a couple of mods to it, nothing too hectic. Like I said, you just need to make sure of your setup, so to that extent I made a few more mounting and adjusting holes, I sand the top with fine sandpaper every once in a while, and at the same time go over every little bolt and screw, undo them, clean them and re-assemble. PITA, but worth it for making quick boxes.

Did some googling, now understand the concept a little better, i was assuming the cuts were being made from the wrong angle, hence the failure to see how perfect corner could be made by a circular cutting tool.

Need to go look at my inherited router bits and see what shapes and options I've got.

Did some googling, now understand the concept a little better, i was assuming the cuts were being made from the wrong angle, hence the failure to see how perfect corner could be made by a circular cutting tool.

Need to go look at my inherited router bits and see what shapes and options I've got.

Lol.

Say it with me now... My name is Bobbo and I'm a bit slow...

HI, I'm Bob, i'm a little..."challenged"....

Hey Bob, is this you?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ip__XaSK7qo/VEWJlJAXgfI/AAAAAAAAK98/owMfLvva24w/s1600/bob.gif

Edited by Moridin