Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Bugger!  Nicely done!  Those dovetails look perfect!

What woods did you use?

How did you cater for wood movement?

You left-handed?

Edited by carrera4s

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger!  Nicely done!  Those dovetails look perfect!

What woods did you use?

How did you cater for wood movement?

You left-handed?

Thanks, they took quite a bit of time.

I used steamed Beech, and some walnut for contrast.

The top is only attached to the 4 legs with through tenons that are wedged in. 

The walnut piece is only glued at the front/dovetail and bolted at the rear with the hole oversized. Hopefully the only movement in the top will only be in the vertical plane.

Yes, and a lefty.

Your workbench, or your piece of fine furniture?  I'd be too scared to work on it in case I damage it!  Beautiful work, well done!

Wow that is seriously nice, the dovetailed ends look just like Matt Eslea's one.

[emoji1360]

Don’t know, but the correct name is a houndstooth dovetail...I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a bit of a baitch. It's actually a screen for the biggest domestic airconditioner I have ever seen, on a 6th floor penthouse in Sea Point. (The aircon is too high to allow the box to fit flush with the tiles, which irritates the heck out of my OCD.)

I wish I had could've charged appropriately. But I always see jobs as easier in my head than they really are. 

This is made of balau, because of the exposed position. The wood, unfortunately, moves a lot so that had to be taken into account in the design. The top, for example, is breadboarded with serious bracing underneath to allow the boards to slide without any buckling. Similarly, the door at the side has a floating panel - it's there to allow access to the outdoor plugpoint, in case you thought it an arb place for a door!

The slats were all ripped from a large plank. Most of the job was done on my old Triton 2000, and the Bosch router. However! Some bits, like planing the top, were done with handtools like my Record No. 5. Sheesh. That Balau is tough. Half of the time, the plane just skates over it unless your blades are 110% sharp.

post-14151-0-14504600-1530073237_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-26017400-1530073260_thumb.jpg

post-14151-0-91702700-1530073280_thumb.jpg

i like how they chained the braai cover to the braai stand. rough hood?

wind maybe?

And here we going with the frames again, 2 more Sheppard's houses and all 3 will be finished hopefully before December 2018. The lengths I bought while the boss was overseas is 6.6m, first he [emoji90]ed me out and when we had the ribs on he said that 6.6m is actually going to work better. [emoji849] The 1st one is only 6.0m. 54f92d2df20f6b5400a210a6cb38f376.jpg10bd61c0fe2073aad20a53d3ff09dd51.jpg735017900b16193273b362fe3a43f2ba.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG