Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Lotus, things have changed since you were last here. Paarden Eiland, Woodstock and those areas around the CBD are sky-rocketing rent-wise. Woodstock is becoming gentrified, so many of the smaller businesses and craftsmen who were there are moving out so the web developers and ad agencies can move in. 

Some guys have found space in Paarden Eiland, but the rents there are going up like hell too, because the agents have seen what's happening in Woodstock ...

You have to go further out to find a decent rental, which is why I'm in Bellville. The space is just over 300 sq m at about R45/sq m. But when you add in the electricity, services, security, etc you come up to about R53/sq. m, or around R16 000 per month. 

Actually, I saw an article recently that, certainly as far as residential property goes, Cape Town has the fastest rising rates in the world. Well, at least we're number 1 at something!

Don't forget about Firgrove, Eerste Rivier, Blue Downs and areas around here. I believe the rentals are still good and low-cost labour is close.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotus, things have changed since you were last here. Paarden Eiland, Woodstock and those areas around the CBD are sky-rocketing rent-wise. Woodstock is becoming gentrified, so many of the smaller businesses and craftsmen who were there are moving out so the web developers and ad agencies can move in. 

Some guys have found space in Paarden Eiland, but the rents there are going up like hell too, because the agents have seen what's happening in Woodstock ...

You have to go further out to find a decent rental, which is why I'm in Bellville. The space is just over 300 sq m at about R45/sq m. But when you add in the electricity, services, security, etc you come up to about R53/sq. m, or around R16 000 per month. 

Actually, I saw an article recently that, certainly as far as residential property goes, Cape Town has the fastest rising rates in the world. Well, at least we're number 1 at something!

Looks like it will be in a tent in the garden then! Considering that most builds overrun their original time estimates, that could easily become a R400k cost.

Thanks for the feedback.

Don't forget about Firgrove, Eerste Rivier, Blue Downs and areas around here. I believe the rentals are still good and low-cost labour is close.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out.

FYI: for Makita 18v power tools aficionados, I have started sourcing deals off e-bay in the USA and bringing them in for resale here. Some very decent tools, like the latest brushless and compact drills etc, at reasonable deals!  prices here are just silly. Then you can buy chargers and batteries of ur choice here, good place is Adendof.

Most are brand new, and of course there is a bit of risk / unknown factor but I do test them and supply in good faith. I will be putting up an paid ad shortly in the classifieds, I have two brushless beauts in stock, and more on order.

Just be very careful. I know you are supplying in good faith and all that but there are a lot of knock-off deals going around. I blame Wish and Alibaba for this........

Basically cheaper tools with upmarket branding being peddled.

I was looking at a complete set of Milwaukee cordless tools, so basically about 15 attachments with maybe 2 or 3 batteries. Looking at the close up videos and pictures and then comparing them to actual Milwaukee tools in a store and they were obviously rebranded inferior tools. Thing is they weren't priced ridiculously cheaply, maybe 20-30% less than retail so when you get them you are stuffed.

In my personal opinion, tools is not where you try and save money. Penny wise, pound foolish......

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out.

Yo Yo .... part of your selection of premises should also include for a space close to public transport so that your staff can get to work as easily and cheaply as possible ... if they can be at work on time and reliable, it can only benefit your business. 

I feel a bit of an imposter coming on Bike Hub when I haven’t ridden further than about 5km at any time during those two years.

Anyway, good to be back. And though I’ve only gone through the past 8 or so pages, it’s good to see familiar old names causing the same old ***. And making some very nice things too. (Still miss old Tumbles though.)

These days, I’m mainly just doing the woodwork for my own amusement and education (which means it’s now actually silly having a big workshop; I should go back to Woodstock).

I guess it’s just part of the commercial world that it’s easier to make money putting up a few towel rails, changing lightbulbs, and fixing kitchen cupboards than it is by making furniture.

Although I over-complicate that too. Nobody makes money out of hand-made furniture. All the big boys locally – Pierre Cronje, David Krynauw, etc - are using CNC these days, and the carpenters job is purely to glue and clamp.

I’ll try to put up something entertaining in the way of a few projects completed over the past months.

Good to be back! This is the new(ish) workshop I moved into in September or October.

Great to see you back on the Hub!

Surely you get brownie points for having bicycles, a beetle and floor pump lying around your workshop!

Great to see you back on the Hub!

Surely you get brownie points for having bicycles, a beetle and floor pump lying around your workshop!

....add to that a pair of gymnastics rings hanging from the beams.........interesting mix (keep people intrigued is a good life goal)  :thumbup:  

Edited by DJR

Just be very careful. I know you are supplying in good faith and all that but there are a lot of knock-off deals going around. I blame Wish and Alibaba for this........

I was looking at a complete set of Milwaukee cordless tools, so basically about 15 attachments with maybe 2 or 3 batteries. Looking at the close up videos and pictures and then comparing them to actual Milwaukee tools in a store and they were obviously rebranded inferior tools. Thing is they weren't priced ridiculously cheaply, maybe 20-30% less than retail so when you get them you are stuffed.

In my personal opinion, tools is not where you try and save money. Penny wise, pound foolish......

+1

Be careful when buying off ebay. Lots of scams and fake products.

Amazon is a good place to start looking for good prices, if ebay is way below that then it's probably just too good to be true.

Must have been super interesting getting all the angles cut at the correct angles to make it work. Looks really cool as a finished product. 

Im super jealous of you guys being able to get hold of all that cool wood, here in EL the variety is limited to mostly pine and meranti.

What wood are you looking for and for what purpose, blanks for turning?

If it's small lots, Rarewoods have off-cuts available, ideal for small projects like that or perhaps the odd jewelry box. 

I am sourcing from listed dealers in the US, and according to the samples I have got are the real deal. I have approached the importers of the brand here to try to source for retail since its a product range I really believe in, but they re not interested and keeping it all cosy with the traditional channel, ridiculous pricing (sounds familiar?), especially with anything labelled 'brushless'

Also their product range is pathetic and out of date compared to what's out there. They need a wake-up call. Big Time.

But you are right, perhaps it not worth the risk of it going Pete Tong &  I best keep these goodies to myself and people who have personal contact with me. I actually buy for my own use, been upgrading my old tools since I use them everyday but I do retail of electronics and IT stuff as well, a lot of which I bring in myself.

Edited by kosmonooit

+1

Be careful when buying off ebay. Lots of scams and fake products.

Amazon is a good place to start looking for good prices, if ebay is way below that then it's probably just too good to be true.

I've been buying off ebay since the get-go, been caught once or twice, but generally wised up to the schemers plus they have a good rating system and most importantly the buyer protection scheme.

So, it's finally happened. I've crossed over to the dark side.

Client just accepted my quote to sand her 60+year old 8 seater Yellowwood dining set so that she can paint it. I'll post some pics of the carvings on it - sadly I had to agree with her that she will never be able to sell it for what it's "worth" - including sentimental value. Sigh. I've restored some painted pieces before (Imbuia chairs that were enamelled PINK) but now I'm actually prepping them for paint.

Client just accepted my quote to sand her 60+year old 8 seater Yellowwood dining set so that she can paint it. I'll post some pics of the carvings on it - sadly I had to agree with her that she will never be able to sell it for what it's "worth" - including sentimental value. Sigh. I've restored some painted pieces before (Imbuia chairs that were enamelled PINK) but now I'm actually prepping them for paint.

I want to like that fact that you consider this a horrible idea, however i cannot push like button and have someone mistake it for the horrible abuse about to take place.

A mate had to paint a massive walnut cabinet white. A Zimbabwean carpenter who say it just shook his head. "It's the cycle," he said. "Someone paints it, someone strips it, someone paints it, someone strips it ...."