Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Clamp a guide?

Yeah, what we did but its the actual fitting inside the jigsaw that seems to be skew, it's a black and decker jigsaw, wasn't very expensive. Maybe that's the issue?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, what we did but its the actual fitting inside the jigsaw that seems to be skew, it's a black and decker jigsaw, wasn't very expensive. Maybe that's the issue?

You identified the problem.

The thicker the wood you cut, the slower the cutting speed. Buy a decent jigsaw or go rent a Skilsaw

Guys seem to be coming right, I go too fast...

Will one day buy a proper jigsaw. 

Just a suggestion but I fit my jigsaw to the bottom of a bench with a hole drilled through for the blade to protrude through. I then feed the wood "over" the blade. So turns it into a kind of cut-off/bandsaw. It removes the unsteady hand from the equation. Adding a guide to slide the wood along is even better as long as the guide and blade are square.

My decent Bosch with LED site line thingie doesn't even help me cut straight. Actually don't think its physically possible to cut 100% straight with a jigsaw!!!!!

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

How do you guys cut wood straight with a jigsaw? 

The blade is new but the whole fitting seems to be a bit skew. Very difficult trying to follow a line when the blade does this. 

It's an art.

Make sure  you use the right blade and speed and reciprocating setting

It's an art.

Make sure  you use the right blade and speed and reciprocating setting

agreed. it's a lot like welding: the slower the better especially if the material is thick. Granted, cheaper jigsaws don't have the best blade guides. They deflect when turning, so the top portion of the blade twists before the bottom, and before long, you cutting chamfers ^_^

Honestly that Triton is perfect in that table. Never going to remove it, will rather buy another one when the Bosch adn the Cryobi ones break. 

Couple of pics I could find of stuff I turned. Bowls are normally long gone before I remember to take a picture.

attachicon.gifHammers.jpg

attachicon.gif76e43e2b-e0a2-4ae4-acaf-9385672492be.jpg

attachicon.gifMyles Mallets.jpg

Ah awesome, I love seeing stuff people have turned. Those little carvers mallets are particularly awesome, Im going to be turning one in the near future.

Ok all done, probably not perfect but most important SWAMBO thinks it looks 'fantastic' ... Many brownie points have been earned!

But bliksem that's a lot of hard work, would I do it again? Not on your life!8a34c266f8869c67ff50178a15e5a337.jpg

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Looks very neat. My first house, ex postal office house, had wooden floors like that in 5 of the 6 rooms, had them sanded off sometime in 1995/96 and that was one serious dusty business.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG

Picked up some wood from a couple who bought in on honeymoon 21 years ago - "It's time we do something with it" Watch this space. Had them planed this morning.

Hardepeer

post-29544-0-93935500-1518680798_thumb.jpeg

Ironwood

post-29544-0-85030000-1518680799_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-89031600-1518680800_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-90629400-1518680801_thumb.jpeg

Didn't even take a picture of the Yellowwood planks, was too mesmerized by the Ironwood  :clap:

I had the same issue with a Ryobi bench top drill press, they aren't very powerful at .25hp, but after tightening the belt etc I found the pulleys were not properly tightened onto the shafts.

It solved the problem, but again, under pressure the bits do wander.

Hope this helps

Check that the pulleys aren't spinning on the shafts. If they do, take them to an engineering shop and have them fix it.

The pulleys could also be coated with gunk and grime?

When I just bought the drill, it could not even do a small hole in hardwood - that was a loose front pulley but I did tighten that.

I override the safety switch to keep the top open so that I can see what's happening at the top - it is definitely the belt slipping over the pulleys.  I will give the pulleys a proper clean. (No that I can remember them being that dirty.)

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by carrera4s

When I just bought the drill, it could not even do a small hole in hardwood - that was a loose front pulley but I did tighten that.

I override the safety switch to keep the top open so that I can see what's happening at the top - it is definitely the belt slipping over the pulleys. I will give the pulleys a proper clean. (No that I can remember them being that dirty.)

Thanks for the replies.

If the belts slip, some fan belt spray might help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hours wasted sifting through absolute rubbish...adverts and finally i found another decent channel with a "skilled craftman" with decent quality information.

been watching Jimmy diresta for a long time...also well worth your attention...who is now sponsored by dewalt...but i see he still uses his makita (painted white equipment) when he gets a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEk4xHBbz0hZNIBBpowdYQ

social media has learnt that the most valuable asset on this earth...is your ATTENTION...boy does it know how to waste it.

with adverts at the beginning...now during and recently getting the host to promote products. 

please share if you know any quality channels worth viewing.

Edited by eccc whippet

hours wasted sifting through absolute rubbish...adverts and finally i found another decent channel with a "skilled craftman" with decent quality information.

been watching Jimmy diresta for a long time...also well worth your attention...who is now sponsored by dewalt...but i see he still uses his makita (painted white equipment) when he gets a chance.

social media has learnt that the most valuable asset on this earth...is your ATTENTION...boy does it know how to waste it.

with adverts at the beginning...now during and recently getting the host to promote products. 

been following his vids on his house build, a very detailed and well put together show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2Qn8VTkTo

TheWoodWhisperer

Matthias Wandel

Paoson Woodworking

Ishitani furniture

Dorian Bracht

Third Coast Craftman

Easy Composites Ltd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sponsors create confusion...

going back to bass fishing...people would rave about certain products because the "pros" use them...what a lot of people dont realise...those products are replaced and upgraded all the time...and the person has to use the product because they get paid to...if you want to know what works the best...follow the people who pay for their own tools.

i am seeing the same trend with youtube...diresta is a good example...now being sponosred by dewalt...i dont know that he enjoys using some of the tools...but does because he is now being paid a good sum of money...i am sure if he had the choice he would still continue using his painted white machines ;) ...not saying there is anything wrong with dewalt 

when the wood whisperer got rid of his festool chop saw and replaced it with a bosch one...that must have come with a hefty price tag (sponsorship) ....anyone who unloads a festool must be collecting some good revenue.

some tools just work better than others...the only way to figue it out is to use them a lot...for example i am huge hilti fan (even though i am peed off with them because they no longer service all their tools) ...when i to comes to site work ... the makita chipping tool works way better than the hilti intended for that purpose...taking weight and efficiency into account.