Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Been busy with this project for far too long now, eventually got it finished today. I was worried that with the glass top going onto it, and a vase or two filled with water, that the weight would put too much stress on the half lap joint in the middle of the X (legs are 2180mm end to end, so lots of leverage), so decided to put a steel cable in to support. I’m happy with the final outcome, hope the owner is too, will post a pic once delivered and installed in his entrance hall, with the top on!

d435afe68b3f29f8a3cb683161ad7598.jpgb66ac42bdd4661d927064facab29a487.jpg

5bbde2d1718b7ecb463a50c58d75475a.jpg

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my woodwork, sad to admit, but perhaps the inspiration for a Hubber to combine his passion for woodwork with that for cycling. Six Cape Town guys will be riding these locally made bikes in the Argus. Coco-Mat is a furniture company.

post-17716-0-37988600-1518958277_thumb.jpg

Been busy with this project for far too long now, eventually got it finished today. I was worried that with the glass top going onto it, and a vase or two filled with water, that the weight would put too much stress on the half lap joint in the middle of the X (legs are 2180mm end to end, so lots of leverage), so decided to put a steel cable in to support. I’m happy with the final outcome, hope the owner is too, will post a pic once delivered and installed in his entrance hall, with the top on!

d435afe68b3f29f8a3cb683161ad7598.jpgb66ac42bdd4661d927064facab29a487.jpg

5bbde2d1718b7ecb463a50c58d75475a.jpg

very nice ... any chance of getting a recessed fitting to receive the tension ed cable?

hours wasted sifting through absolute rubbish...adverts and finally i found another decent channel with a "skilled craftman" with decent quality information.

been watching Jimmy diresta for a long time...also well worth your attention...who is now sponsored by dewalt...but i see he still uses his makita (painted white equipment) when he gets a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiEk4xHBbz0hZNIBBpowdYQ

social media has learnt that the most valuable asset on this earth...is your ATTENTION...boy does it know how to waste it.

with adverts at the beginning...now during and recently getting the host to promote products. 

please share if you know any quality channels worth viewing.

Diresta makes some cool stuff, I just get a little tired of his branding sometimes.

I honestly never see an ad on youtube, it might be because of ublock though on my pc. My ipad still displays ads.

sponsors create confusion...

going back to bass fishing...people would rave about certain products because the "pros" use them...what a lot of people dont realise...those products are replaced and upgraded all the time...and the person has to use the product because they get paid to...if you want to know what works the best...follow the people who pay for their own tools.

i am seeing the same trend with youtube...diresta is a good example...now being sponosred by dewalt...i dont know that he enjoys using some of the tools...but does because he is now being paid a good sum of money...i am sure if he had the choice he would still continue using his painted white machines ;) ...not saying there is anything wrong with dewalt 

when the wood whisperer got rid of his festool chop saw and replaced it with a bosch one...that must have come with a hefty price tag (sponsorship) ....anyone who unloads a festool must be collecting some good revenue.

some tools just work better than others...the only way to figue it out is to use them a lot...for example i am huge hilti fan (even though i am peed off with them because they no longer service all their tools) ...when i to comes to site work ... the makita chipping tool works way better than the hilti intended for that purpose...taking weight and efficiency into account.

Im not a fan of anyone that is sponsored, at least wood whisperer is sponsored by powermatic which is good stuff. That Bosch saw he got is a *really* good saw though, been looking at it longingly for a while and at a 3rd of the price of festool its much better value.

Diresta makes some cool stuff, I just get a little tired of his branding sometimes.

I honestly never see an ad on youtube, it might be because of ublock though on my pc. My ipad still displays ads.

iPad's suck .... I have an iPad Pro, and you just do not have the same flexibility as an Android device.....but the res for media consumption is rather good

very nice ... any chance of getting a recessed fitting to receive the tension ed cable?

Thanks, I haven’t really looked at options, but the client is happy with the way it has been done now.

iPad's suck .... I have an iPad Pro, and you just do not have the same flexibility as an Android device.....but the res for media consumption is rather good

Yup it was pretty much the screen that sold it to me, also there is an ios specific game that my wife likes to play on it from time to time.

I used to like android's flexibility but after a while it just turns into a mess. I prefer doing customisation on a pc and for mobile devices to just work.

A few little odds and ends done this weekend. Needed some quick projects to feel like I was accomplishing something.

Finally got round to making mallets for my brother and I.

post-4822-0-20640800-1519022349_thumb.jpg

Handles started rectangular and were turned round on one side but keeping the flats on the other. 

post-4822-0-12019900-1519022414_thumb.jpg

Finished mallets with some BLO on them.

post-4822-0-20085600-1519022442_thumb.jpg

Seeing the carvers mallets that mr pants made inspired me to finally make one.

Head was fiddlewood and the handle I have no idea what it was!

post-4822-0-19423000-1519022517_thumb.jpg

Also turned a pot for an orchid my wife was giving to her sister as a present. Was hollowed way too deep in relation to toolrest support and scary as heck to do. Literally was trying to catch every second or two in the deepest parts. Just used a stain/sealer combo to make it waterproof.

post-4822-0-52132400-1519022656_thumb.jpg

Project for tonight is finishing this pen I did some rough turning on. Acrylic can be quite fun to turn but its super messy and this particular one is very brittle so light cuts and sharp tools needed.

post-4822-0-08852400-1519022797_thumb.jpg

A few little odds and ends done this weekend. Needed some quick projects to feel like I was accomplishing something.

Finally got round to making mallets for my brother and I.

attachicon.gifmallet1.jpg

Handles started rectangular and were turned round on one side but keeping the flats on the other. 

attachicon.gifmallet2.jpg

Finished mallets with some BLO on them.

attachicon.gifmallet3.jpg

Seeing the carvers mallets that mr pants made inspired me to finally make one.

Head was fiddlewood and the handle I have no idea what it was!

attachicon.gifcarver.jpg

Also turned a pot for an orchid my wife was giving to her sister as a present. Was hollowed way too deep in relation to toolrest support and scary as heck to do. Literally was trying to catch every second or two in the deepest parts. Just used a stain/sealer combo to make it waterproof.

attachicon.gifpot.jpg

Project for tonight is finishing this pen I did some rough turning on. Acrylic can be quite fun to turn but its super messy and this particular one is very brittle so light cuts and sharp tools needed.

attachicon.gifacrylic.jpg

Nice work . Like the wood of the vase. Did you notice the little " happy face " at about 11 o'clock ?

Not close to the stunning big projects you guys are running, but here's a little planter box I built Saturday afternoon for our herb/veggie garden.

post-19039-0-44201600-1519025716_thumb.jpeg

post-19039-0-25972400-1519025725_thumb.jpeg

Version 2 of the project, to be done once I move house, will include a top "shelf" of PVC pipes in which we'll plant more herbs than veggies.

Nice work . Like the wood of the vase. Did you notice the little " happy face " at about 11 o'clock ?

I did notice it, was a lot more visible before the finishing. Cool thing about it is it goes right through the wood so its visible from the inside too.

Lekker Rocket Boy - did you make those bottom rings with guitar strings?

When I made my first burnishing wire it was guitar string but it didnt work quite as well as I hoped.

This one uses that braided steel wire you get in picture hanging kits. I turned two thin spindles and drilled a stepped hole through then tied knots in the end to embed the wire.

It works really well now and I dont have to wrap the wire around fingers anymore.

*edit*

Found a pic of it, it dangles from the wheel of my sadly neglected roadie.

post-4822-0-32424600-1519028446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rocket-Boy

When I made my first burnishing wire it was guitar string but it didnt work quite as well as I hoped.

This one uses that braided steel wire you get in picture hanging kits. I turned two thin spindles and drilled a stepped hole through then tied knots in the end to embed the wire.

It works really well now and I dont have to wrap the wire around fingers anymore.

*edit*

Found a pic of it, it dangles from the wheel of my sadly neglected roadie.

attachicon.gifburnisher.jpg

so is that what assassins called garrotes: burnishing wire.. :blink:

^_^