Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I'm not going to tell you what this project is.......not until right at the end!

And I'll HAVE to show you the beginning, just to prove that is WAS a woodwork project, because when all is done, there is no wood to be seen anywhere!

You start with plywood, and make a box, the dimensions are critical, and it must be sturdy as hell.

Hats off, neat dove tails.

I have tried before and you have to be so careful. If the fit is too tight those "pins"break off sooooo easily!!!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hats off, neat dove tails.

I have tried before and you have to be so careful. If the fit is too tight those "pins"break off sooooo easily!!!

With good quality plywood it works well, with the mostly rubbish commercial ply we see here, you have to be careful. Luckily, for this application, it is the resilience and strength of the plywood I am after, not the looks, so a bit of imperfection is OK as long as strength is not compromised.

Traditionally the wooden part of the box is made from oak, but that I will only do for a treasured old English shotgun. The wood simply costs too much. I also once did it in walnut, but then it becomes astronomical. For that one I made a point of leaving some of the wood visible. The leather alone for a case of this size is  about R2000. You have to buy a whole skin, and the bit you have left over is too small for another case. Brass fittings are nowadays impossible to find, and you have to make most of it yourself. Cutting, bending, soldering, filing, drilling, sanding, polishing brass corners take forever! You'll notice that the box above has no catches, simply because I'm still searching the junk stores for old brass ones to recycle. New ones are plasticky rubbish, and having a locksmith make one.....well, that is nowadays also impossible. A long case like this needs 2 catches, a left and a right that are mirror images. Hens teeth I tell you! 

Altogether, it is something that I only make as gifts, because I can never sell it for a price that will feel fair, so (in a warped way of thinking) I rather give them away.

And I never seem to have enough time to make my wife a picnic "suitcase" with crystal glasses, real old Suzy Cooper crockery and bone handled cutlery to fit..........she's now been patient for decades........ :)    

........because when you slide box no.2 into box no. 1 (yay, it fits!) and you slip the little 20 gauge into its place (yay it fits!) your woodwork project has disappeared for a lifetime or more of protecting its valuable cargo!

Fabulous work, well done!

With good quality plywood it works well, with the mostly rubbish commercial ply we see here, you have to be careful. Luckily, for this application, it is the resilience and strength of the plywood I am after, not the looks, so a bit of imperfection is OK as long as strength is not compromised.

Traditionally the wooden part of the box is made from oak, but that I will only do for a treasured old English shotgun. The wood simply costs too much. I also once did it in walnut, but then it becomes astronomical. For that one I made a point of leaving some of the wood visible. The leather alone for a case of this size is  about R2000. You have to buy a whole skin, and the bit you have left over is too small for another case. Brass fittings are nowadays impossible to find, and you have to make most of it yourself. Cutting, bending, soldering, filing, drilling, sanding, polishing brass corners take forever! You'll notice that the box above has no catches, simply because I'm still searching the junk stores for old brass ones to recycle. New ones are plasticky rubbish, and having a locksmith make one.....well, that is nowadays also impossible. A long case like this needs 2 catches, a left and a right that are mirror images. Hens teeth I tell you! 

Altogether, it is something that I only make as gifts, because I can never sell it for a price that will feel fair, so (in a warped way of thinking) I rather give them away.

And I never seem to have enough time to make my wife a picnic "suitcase" with crystal glasses, real old Suzy Cooper crockery and bone handled cutlery to fit..........she's now been patient for decades........ :)    

just a word of caution .... when the Mrs patient runs out, you best be prepared!

DJR - Fabulous work!!! Really, really good. Fantastic, awe inspiring and a joy to behold, truly.

For fittings .. there's a shop down the road from me, in Wynberg, called Les Collectables. Last time I was there they had oodles of brass fittings in their boxes, at reasonable costs.

Very nicely done!

try these guys -https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/latches-catches-closures

There is a brass shop here in Somerset West, Brassique I think.

They are in Van Der Stel, sorta hidden in a corner of residential area.

The place is has a bit of everything from what my mother told me when she went there years ago.

I still see the sign so I assume they still exist.

• 2 weeks later...

We installed a cupboard at our Mamelodi congregation on Saturday.  Somebody donated them a reclaimed cupboard and we had to figure out how to fit it together.  After 2 hours on site without having anything to show for it, we were getting a bit desperate.  It was like building a puzzle without having a picture of what it should look like...

I must say, the crooked walls, bent shelves, buckled supports, broken hinges, uneven floor, etc. almost had us uttering a few expletives during the day!  And 10 hours later, we were done.

But we were spoiled with High Tea in Mamelodi and Ma Aggie's gratitude made it all worth while. 

post-50518-0-63810800-1528713623_thumb.jpg

post-50518-0-46031700-1528713598_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...