Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Please if one of you kind hubbers have an old rusty one lying around I'll gladly pay for it as long as China was not the country of birth.

I have a few original Stanley's and may look at selling. What are you looking for specifically?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i take you have never been to VW to have your car serviced?

I have to replace my key...R890 per hour for the artisan to reprogram my key...R4400 to replace the key.

Keep in mind that the R890 includes the overheads of the dealership and workshop (which are generally very costly glass and chrome setups...).

aebf9ad5a7689abd75874345ac993c8e.jpg

Drilled some holes in this piece of wood, still don't know what it is (best guess is Walnut), it was a dunnage block that was between 2 bundles of Meranti. It drills beautifully, smooth as butter, you can hear the difference when the bit reaches the Pine underneath.

Does it smell like spice when you cut it? If so, African Walnut.

I have a few original Stanley's and may look at selling. What are you looking for specifically?

Hi Graham, needed a block plane, but have since then bought a brand new Stanley and also found 2 older Stanleys. If you decide on selling any PM me the pics of what you would like to sell

Hi Graham, needed a block plane, but have since then bought a brand new Stanley and also found 2 older Stanleys. If you decide on selling any PM me the pics of what you would like to sell

Will do. I'll get the model numbers and snap some pics this afternoon.

Does it smell like spice when you cut it? If so, African Walnut.

More nutty/cocoa than spicy, but yeah, best guess is Walnut, making a wine bottle holder.

Interesting bit of useless info, the top of a screw top wine bottle is 3mm bigger than the cork type tops, and does not fit into a 30mm hole.

More nutty/cocoa than spicy, but yeah, best guess is Walnut, making a wine bottle holder.

Interesting bit of useless info, the top of a screw top wine bottle is 3mm bigger than the cork type tops, and does not fit into a 30mm hole.

Wine should ALWAYS have a cork..........

Then it's 95% likely to be 'American' walnut. Nice score :)

African Walnut smells like nutmeg/cinamon mix.

Back to my point at the end of that post you quoted. I have a problem being over charged.

However, in order to maintain my warranty, the dealer has me over a barrel. I have to go to the dealer (happens to be Audi FWIW) who is happy to charge me R970 an hour to service/work on my car.

Next time you are at VW, go ask the mechanic what his hourly rate is on his salary slip.....

Edit: if you are replacing your key as a result of loss, check with your broker first before you fork out the cash. Your insurance policy should have a section that covers lost or stolen keys [emoji106]

the only reason i bought a VW transporter...my son was an appy at Apline motors ( so i know what they earn ;) ) ...now has his own business doing custom built V8...hot rods etc.

insurance is replacing the key.

aebf9ad5a7689abd75874345ac993c8e.jpg

Drilled some holes in this piece of wood, still don't know what it is (best guess is Walnut), it was a dunnage block that was between 2 bundles of Meranti. It drills beautifully, smooth as butter, you can hear the difference when the bit reaches the Pine underneath.

those drill bits are the best for drilling big holes.....the only problem i have is drilling through plywood...they smash out the bottom...so instead i made a few templates and plunge route the holes.

Then it's 95% likely to be 'American' walnut. Nice score :)

African Walnut smells like nutmeg/cinamon mix.

Yes, looks like American or Black Walnut to me also. Especially with that purple hue.

those drill bits are the best for drilling big holes.....the only problem i have is drilling through plywood...they smash out the bottom...so instead i made a few templates and plunge route the holes.

The problem with Forstner bits is that they overheat easily, and can have a tendency to drift.

The problem with Forstner bits is that they overheat easily, and can have a tendency to drift.

I only use them in a drill press, because of the drifting. As for overheating, try drilling holes in Perspex with them...

0bcd3abb2cd203f25e58fe43ac27074d.jpg

I find that the carbide tipped bits are much better in terms of heat build-up as they cut much easier and therefore cause much less friction. Also, they stay sharp a lot longer.