Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it is far off a proper table saw, I bought a second hand Triton Workbench fitted with a Makita 5903 saw (for a ridiculous price). I can do all types of cuts, but it does require a bit of effort because the fence is not installed on a slider system, can't fit a dado and the work surface is only about 700 x 600 mm. This solution would cost you about R 15 000.

But if you intend to do some semi-commercial work, I suggest you take the plunge and buy the Jet.

I was thinking of this Triton table saw module, and build it into a cabinet.

Laser cut some 5+ mm sheet metal, and make your own fence. But it can't take dado blades.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by stefmeister

attachicon.gifWoodwork 002.JPG

You want Pitchas. Heritage tool chest No. 3 Curly Maple, Birds Eye Maple and Maple. Finished with Danish Oil.

Lovely. Hand cut or Jig dovetails? Not that it matters. Still looks perfect.

I like this guy's method;

Maybe just tape the edges and/or clamp an extra piece of wood over the cutting area to prevent splintering.

So where can one get dado stacks in SA? I have never been able to find these.

So where can one get dado stacks in SA? I have never been able to find these.

No idea. I don't think they conform to many safety standards, which is why one can't find them everywhere. But ebay is always an option.

Or a router table set up similarly? Will just take longer to make the cuts.

Or a normal blade on your ts - you'll just have to make more cuts with thinner fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanx. Guy at Apple concurs.

BTW, talking of safety, looks like Sawstop has arrived in SA in a big way. Just saw a Sawstop Mobile Contractor's Saw at Apple.

Same as this one:

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/collections/sawstop/products/sawstop-jobsite-saw-with-mobile-cart

Just make sure your saw has a long enough arbour shaft, the absolute majority of EU bound machines only come with short shafts that can't take dado stacks (ask me I have been down this road)

Just make sure your saw has a long enough arbour shaft, the absolute majority of EU bound machines only come with short shafts that can't take dado stacks (ask me I have been down this road)

Oh crap! I will have a look.

I like this guy's method;

Maybe just tape the edges and/or clamp an extra piece of wood over the cutting area to prevent splintering.

One can use a similar method on a Router table.  Check out a few video's on Youtube.

I was thinking of this Triton table saw module, and build it into a cabinet.

Laser cut some 5+ mm sheet metal, and make your own fence. But it can't take dado blades.

maxresdefault.jpg

Make a Biesemeyer type fence if you are going to make anything and it will be pretty peachy after that.