Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Bit of a wake up call this weekend for my family, my dad who has been woodworking for 30 odd years made a bit of a judgement error on a thickneser thinking that the drum had come to a complete stop (which it hadnt) and stuck his hand in to clear the leftover saw dust that the extractor leaves behind. 

Middle and index finger were taken apart, was pretty horrific. Op has been done, middle finger saved and index has been "shortened"! 7 -10 days in hospital to make sure of no infection... 

All i want to say is be careful, accidents happen and thankfully this happened at his weekend shared space / learning group and there were people around! 

Stay Safe! 

Edited by the nerd

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you by any chance grind them on a wheel first.

Chisel edges go brittle if overheated. Blade metal must never go blue even just a small spot if they do you re grind and you stay light on the pressure and keep moving the blade from side to side.

I have the same chisels (can't get them anymore) and do not have that problem.

No such thing as a TOO sharp chisel.

This.

Bit of a wake up call this weekend for my family, my dad who has been woodworking for 30 odd years made a bit of a judgement error on a thickneser thinking that the drum had come to a complete stop (which it hadnt) and stuck his hand in to clear the leftover saw dust that the extractor leaves behind. 

Middle and index finger were taken apart, was pretty horrific. Op has been done, middle finger saved and index has been "shortened"! 7 -10 days in hospital to make sure of no infection... 

All i want to say is be careful, accidents happen and thankfully this happened at his weekend shared space / learning group and there were people around! 

Stay Safe! 

Thicknessers, Planers and Molders are more scary to me than the Table Saw. They can mangle a hand in now time.

Edited by Moridin

Used my new Lie Nielsen 5/8" Bench Chisel for the first time today. Used it out of the box, no sharpening at all, it cut ooh so nice. I am in love with that chisel, even if it cost me a thousand bucks.

Edited by Moridin

Stay Safe!

Saw the pics, pretty gruesome, and I had offered to plane that timber for him...

I sprained a thumb when the table saw decided to bite, and kick back the piece of wood I was cutting this weekend.

Accidents happen quickly, be safe in the workshop guys!

Chisel edges go brittle if overheated. Blade metal must never go blue even just a small spot if they do you re grind and you stay light on the pressure and keep moving the blade from side to side.

Nope. I only hand sharpen.

Re bet Had a friend back at school in the mata; metalwork shop who left the key in the lathe.....it f caught his thumb and was a rather nasty accident....yes accidents happen quickly.

Hope your old man heals up fast and well

EDIT: I PROMISE I WAS NOT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ANYTHING WHEN I POSTED THIS LAST NIGHT ... BLOODY AUTO CORRECT ON THE IPAD IS ALL TO BLAME. ...AND ME NOT CHECKING IT.

Edited by Hairy

Re bet a friend back at school in the mata; work shop who left the key in the lathe.....it fought his thumb and was a rather nasty accident....yes accidents happen quickly.

that brings back a memory from end of year vac training (1st year uni): we had to do some practical training at tech. Two of us per metal lathe. I was doing setup. Last thing in was the key. Lady teammate decides to start the machine before I give the all clear to start. She was standing immediately across from the chuck. Key thudded into her chest like a donkey kick.

Just some bruising, no broken bones or skin. Left me unnerved for the rest  of the lathe work. Generally, I have a very healthy respect for rotating machinery, especially the cutting kind (i think it was that You magazine article pic a few decades ago of some guy with half an angle grinder disc stuck in his head nanometers from his brain. Excellent X-ray, horrible, lasting memory. That and my redhead lathe buddy...

that brings back a memory from end of year vac training (1st year uni): we had to do some practical training at tech. Two of us per metal lathe. I was doing setup. Last thing in was the key. Lady teammate decides to start the machine before I give the all clear to start. She was standing immediately across from the chuck. Key thudded into her chest like a donkey kick.

Just some bruising, no broken bones or skin. Left me unnerved for the rest  of the lathe work. Generally, I have a very healthy respect for rotating machinery, especially the cutting kind (i think it was that You magazine article pic a few decades ago of some guy with half an angle grinder disc stuck in his head nanometers from his brain. Excellent X-ray, horrible, lasting memory. That and my redhead lathe buddy...

PIC'S OF THE BUDDY :P

The thing is, I don't think they too sharp. They feel sharp for sure, but not surgical blade sharp if that makes sense. So i was a bit surprised they chipped. In fact, i've been sharpening them till they feel like the blade that shipped with the Lie-nielse no62 low angle plane. That thing is silly sharp!

random stuff: handy guide to identifying your stanley bailey handplane.

turn's out, that resurrected handplane is a type 19.

https://woodandshop.com/identify-stanley-hand-plane-age-type-study/

I put a very slight back angle on my chisels...use a playing card on the back of the chisel, run it a few times over one of your higher count stones.

Joh, dude... I remember that from school. Had an old-school fitting and turning teacher that showed that to us on the first day in his class. Nobody dared do that. 

Dunno what would have been worse, though. The klap from the chuck key, or the moering from the teacher afterwards for being such a dumbass. 

Was also wondering about the grinder being involved. Its very easy to overheat the metal on a conventional grinder due to the speed. Im always very careful with lathe chisels because of it.

Re bet Had a friend back at school in the mata; metalwork shop who left the key in the lathe.....it f caught his thumb and was a rather nasty accident....yes accidents happen quickly.

EDIT: I PROMISE I WAS NOT UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ANYTHING WHEN I POSTED THIS LAST NIGHT ... BLOODY AUTO CORRECT ON THE IPAD IS ALL TO BLAME. ...AND ME NOT CHECKING IT.

It happened sometimes when I was at school with the metal lathes, never saw anyone get hit with the key but you sure would hear it flying out. This was always followed by the workshop teacher flying out of his office to snotklap the person who forgot it in!!

We did have a pretty bad one though where someone was running on autofeed and had the spiral shaving running through the palm of his hand while staring at it... obviously it caught and the reflex to close your hand when something yanks out of it is strong. It resulted in a very bloody mess in the palm of his hand.

It happened sometimes when I was at school with the metal lathes, never saw anyone get hit with the key but you sure would hear it flying out. This was always followed by the workshop teacher flying out of his office to snotklap the person who forgot it in!!

We did have a pretty bad one though where someone was running on autofeed and had the spiral shaving running through the palm of his hand while staring at it... obviously it caught and the reflex to close your hand when something yanks out of it is strong. It resulted in a very bloody mess in the palm of his hand.

I have no idea how more of us were not mangled or killed in the metal working shop!

At least I can say that those classes have helped me in my work life ... having a very basic understanding of metal work and the tech drawings being a catalyst for what I do everyday.

I have no idea how more of us were not mangled or killed in the metal working shop!

At least I can say that those classes have helped me in my work life ... having a very basic understanding of metal work and the tech drawings being a catalyst for what I do everyday.

I still want to get a small metal lathe at some stage, the amount of times I have needed some obscure part that I could bang out in a matter of minutes on a lathe is scary.