Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

I have never liked the burning of wood for affect. Maybe I have never seen anything decent. (Limited to amateur SA Pine attempts, in braai areas , etc.) Does burning of the surface preserve the wood .

The oldest wooden temple in Japan is finished almost exclusively using that method so it seems to be a fairly decent preservative! 

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4104.html

Cap is right about SA pine, its got massive growth rings which leaves very large areas in between. Its nice for adding colours to the SGB but on its own its a little bland.

The pine Im using is European pine, which comes from pallets that Mercedes Benz ships car parts from German on. The difference in growth rings is massive.

If i compare a SA pine log its generally at max 12-15 years old, the same thing in the European pine is easily 30 years+ and has very tight rings. Its down to the difference in temperatures where the trees grow.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a coincidence. I too have been/are using Mercedes Benz pallets for cladding . Have used raw linseed as a water repellant coat . Happy with results.Still have to stand the test of time i.r.o. performance.

The oldest wooden temple in Japan is finished almost exclusively using that method so it seems to be a fairly decent preservative!

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4104.html

Cap is right about SA pine, its got massive growth rings which leaves very large areas in between. Its nice for adding colours to the SGB but on its own its a little bland.

The pine Im using is European pine, which comes from pallets that Mercedes Benz ships car parts from German on. The difference in growth rings is massive.BTW , what a bitch to dismantle those pallets !!

If i compare a SA pine log its generally at max 12-15 years old, the same thing in the European pine is easily 30 years+ and has very tight rings. Its down to the difference in temperatures where the trees grow.

Quite a coincidence. I too have been/are using Mercedes Benz pallets for cladding . Have used raw linseed as a water repellant coat . Happy with results.Still have to stand the test of time i.r.o. performance. Btw, those pallets are a bitch to dismantle. Also, the temple art. is great. Edited by Tromp

Quite a coincidence. I too have been/are using Mercedes Benz pallets for cladding . Have used raw linseed as a water repellant coat . Happy with results.Still have to stand the test of time i.r.o. performance. Btw, those pallets are a bitch to dismantle. Also, the temple art. is great.

I built my workbench out of the support beams from the bottom of the big pallets, that thing is like a rock and will be around for a long time!

Its a bit of a pain to go to the local warehouse that breaks them down and sells the bits off but the wood is cheap and its miles ahead of the local pine we get.

Interesting thing with it though is the massive pockets of pine sap, I was doing some SGB this morning and one piece just burst into flames because it had opened a sap pocket that was still liquid. 

Ta for the advice guys. Did any of the guidance you offer, result in the following finish? This is what i'm after. I watched the vid associated with the images, and the person used a two part process of dye + stain to ensure full and proper coverage+penetration. But that's overseas stuff, so was wondering what's available locally.

ash-wood-ebonized-2.jpg

ash-wood-ebonized-1.jpg

what I got was not far off that - will try remember to photograph it and look for the stain tin - I know I have it still somewhere.

Ta for the advice guys. Did any of the guidance you offer, result in the following finish? This is what i'm after. I watched the vid associated with the images, and the person used a two part process of dye + stain to ensure full and proper coverage+penetration. But that's overseas stuff, so was wondering what's available locally.

ash-wood-ebonized-2.jpg

ash-wood-ebonized-1.jpg

Contact Quicktint in Maitland they will have what you need.

ash-wood-ebonized-2.jpg

ash-wood-ebonized-1.jpg

post-29797-0-76068900-1531908824_thumb.jpg

It was done around 2005.... taken a bit of wear and tear I see... :) Still have to go find the tin.

attachicon.gifEbony stain 2.jpg

It was done around 2005.... taken a bit of wear and tear I see... :) Still have to go find the tin.

I did this in Feb this year using cheap knotty Pine

depending on light and angle it changes quite nicely it appearance from solid black to look at my grain in black..

used Clou water based Black stain and Woodoc to seal it in

post-12682-0-39252600-1531911498_thumb.jpg

post-12682-0-60877800-1531911511_thumb.jpg

I have 6 Riempie chairs. I think they are Kiaat and Yellow Wood. My sister gave me a set of 12 but my table only caters for 6. They were very recently restrung and in great condition. Thought I’d post here to see if anyone would be interested. I’ll post a picture this evening.

10 to 1 it is Imbuia and Yellow Wood. (the rage at one time)

Kiaat tends to be lighter in colour

Thanks.

The set comes from brother in-law’s grandfather. He was the governor of the Orange Free State and this is from his farmhouse. They kept the table and found fancier antique chairs for it so I got these as a gift a while ago. I was going to get a bigger table so kept all the chairs. I now don’t think I need a bigger table as I have a 12 seater in my braai area and we tend to entertain there.

Some pics

Is the dark wood not Blackwood?

Also, that is “gelooide” riem, it stretches and sags and ends up being a bit uncomfortable. Ideally the should have “rou riem’ (rawhide).

Is the dark wood not Blackwood?

Also, that is “gelooide” riem, it stretches and sags and ends up being a bit uncomfortable. Ideally the should have “rou riem’ (rawhide).

It could be Blackwood. I have zero knowledge of wood species. It matches my Kiaat table pretty well so assumed it would be Kiaat. My table is heavily stained though. 

It could be Blackwood. I have zero knowledge of wood species. It matches my Kiaat table pretty well so assumed it would be Kiaat. My table is heavily stained though. 

Blackwood is lighter and looks more like kiaat. As mentioned, that's most likely imbuia (typical of that era with yellow wood), or stinkhout (if if was slightly lighter).

10 to 1 it is Imbuia and Yellow Wood. (the rage at one time)

Kiaat tends to be lighter in colour

Kiaat has quite a lot of color variation, even in a single piece, from dark brown to light cream. This box is made of Kiaat, see the color changes.

168374a4bdace4ddefb9d06b73cf995b.jpg