Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Did a quick(ish) project for a Hubber - Thank you AndyDude, hope it gives you the platform you needed, and please send pics when you use it!

From conception

post-29544-0-75287900-1468395496_thumb.jpg

post-29544-0-58727400-1468395515_thumb.jpg

To materials

post-29544-0-84497200-1468395644_thumb.jpeg

To construction

post-29544-0-96398900-1468395660_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-70366900-1468395682_thumb.jpeg

A mate told me "If you've got enough clamps, you don't have enough work" - this is about a tenth of the clamps I have

To completion

post-29544-0-84785400-1468395733_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-99715700-1468395749_thumb.jpeg

post-29544-0-63750200-1468395798_thumb.jpeg

Half-blind dovetails for the carcass and pocket holes for the frame. Andy's going to use it to test insulation material that they manufacture.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gifIMG-20160711-WA0000.jpg.jpeg

Half-blind dovetails for the carcass and pocket holes for the frame. Andy's going to use it to test insulation material that they manufacture.

I love pocket holes. Only thing I DON'T like about them is the gigantic hole they leave!

BTW Panties, a tip i picked up from my grandfather when filling holes - mix a generous helping of the wood shavings and sawdust into the filler before plugging it in the hole. Helps match the hue of the wood more closely than naked filler, and also accepts stain more readily. 

Woke up this morning and thought lets see if i could buy a bike stand for under R10...the result

The beauty about this stand is the cost most important...however ever more important...you can clamp it to a workbench...desk...dinning room table you name it...you could throw it in the back of bakkie and attach it to the tail gate in the parking lot.

Now that i have a working unit...let the R&D begin...once i am happy with the design i will make an aluminum one

d32ee5a74a66ecdae600f67e758c16ac.jpg

What is so cool i can build up a bike on a stand and clip it with the stand against the wall.2cfcd70b2b06e113075ba8d5485c1a0d.jpg

Did a quick(ish) project for a Hubber - Thank you AndyDude, hope it gives you the platform you needed, and please send pics when you use it!

From conception

attachicon.gifWith Frame.jpg

attachicon.gifLid open.jpg

To materials

attachicon.gifIMG-20160704-WA0000.jpg.jpeg

To construction

attachicon.gifIMG-20160704-WA0002.jpg.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG-20160706-WA0003.jpg.jpeg

A mate told me "If you've got enough clamps, you don't have enough work" - this is about a tenth of the clamps I have

To completion

attachicon.gifIMG-20160711-WA0002.jpg.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG-20160711-WA0001.jpg.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG-20160711-WA0000.jpg.jpeg

Enough clamps you say; clamping the sheartrakes for finishing later...this represents about 90% of the handclamps in the collection

post-19592-0-62142500-1468397358_thumb.jpg

I love pocket holes. Only thing I DON'T like about them is the gigantic hole they leave!

BTW Panties, a tip i picked up from my grandfather when filling holes - mix a generous helping of the wood shavings and sawdust into the filler before plugging it in the hole. Helps match the hue of the wood more closely than naked filler, and also accepts stain more readily. 

Those are beech dowels, you heathen :D

I've got a set of plug cutters that I've used before to fill pocket holes, but I liked the contrast these provided. 

Those are beech dowels, you heathen :D

I've got a set of plug cutters that I've used before to fill pocket holes, but I liked the contrast these provided. 

Aaaaah! That makes more sense. Couldn't make out the grain in the pic and it just looked like the generic filler blehness. 

All done except shear strakes and rowlocks fitted, interior sanding to follow, but now flipped for fitting skeg and linear strips for tracking

Building a boat has been one of my repressed dreams! Some day!

Building a boat has been one of my repressed dreams! Some day!

I cannot tell you how rewarding it is to move from a few sheets of plywood to a nearly floating boat. Not to mention the honing of new skills and then one or two tools that needs buying. I highly recommend it for a winter project.

Small boat like this will take about 100 productive hours, 120 should get you there too.

I started in June, she should float by mid August, painted and done out sans sails

I cannot tell you how rewarding it is to move from a few sheets of plywood to a nearly floating boat. Not to mention the honing of new skills and then one or two tools that needs buying. I highly recommend it for a winter project.

Small boat like this will take about 100 productive hours, 120 should get you there too.

I started in June, she should float by mid August, painted and done out sans sails

Looks really great Ed! Where did you get the plans from? Was chatting to a mate the other day about a small boat for two adults and two kids so that we can put around the dam in search of behemoth bass... less than 15hp you don't need a skippers either...

Obviously I'm talking motor not sailing here

I broke my mallet. Dammit.

So, next quick project, if I have time between paying customers, would be a mallet. Now I've got some stuff in the scrap bin:

Rhodesian Teak - 45mm thick

Kiaat, plenty of 20 and 18mm offcuts

Beech, 22mm

African Walnut, 10mm and 18mm

Red Mahogany, 22mm

Chamfuti, 20mm - I hate this stuff

Stinkwood, 18mm

Yellowwood, 18mm

Plenty Pine offcuts, that gets sent to the fireplace once a week

I'm leaning towards a Rhodesian Teak head with some sort of laminated handle - maybe a thin strip of walnut, say 5mm, in between two layers of beech of +-15mm?

What say you?

(I'll also be turning a round mallet out of RT to use for fine chiseling)

Looks really great Ed! Where did you get the plans from? Was chatting to a mate the other day about a small boat for two adults and two kids so that we can put around the dam in search of behemoth bass... less than 15hp you don't need a skippers either...

Obviously I'm talking motor not sailing here

Hi Grebs, thanks.

This is Dudley Dix designed boat called the Argie 10 (10foot/3.1m). www.dixdesign.com

There are a few good designers around, but Dix is South African and the boats have a pedigree. He designs a 15 foot on similar lines called the Argie 15, which will suit you very well for a family boat. Also a 3:1.

Edit: with full length seats though. have look around the builder projects, I'll send you a link to build file on the wooden boat forum on a South African in the US that built and Argie 15, lots to learn there.

See the link here --> http://www.dixdesign.com/argie15.htm

I recon the Argie 15 will take at least 200 - 250 hours, but there are people that did it in 180hours. I doubt the 180hours though. I built the Argie 10 to see if I understood the basics and also tried some higher grade stuff which worked out well.

I will now do an Argie 15 next, next winter, in the interim I'm building two SUP's out of plywood as soon as the Argie 10 is done. His plans are also very easy to read and the price is super affordable.

First, two SUP's in plywood for the boys

Edited by Ed-Zulu

I broke my mallet. Dammit.

So, next quick project, if I have time between paying customers, would be a mallet. Now I've got some stuff in the scrap bin:

Rhodesian Teak - 45mm thick

Kiaat, plenty of 20 and 18mm offcuts

Beech, 22mm

African Walnut, 10mm and 18mm

Red Mahogany, 22mm

Chamfuti, 20mm - I hate this stuff

Stinkwood, 18mm

Yellowwood, 18mm

Plenty Pine offcuts, that gets sent to the fireplace once a week

I'm leaning towards a Rhodesian Teak head with some sort of laminated handle - maybe a thin strip of walnut, say 5mm, in between two layers of beech of +-15mm?

What say you?

(I'll also be turning a round mallet out of RT to use for fine chiseling)

Make two and I'll buy the other off you, I have a thing for mallets, just bought a turned carvers mallet in Fever Tree this weekend from a turner friend.