Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty. Quite oily, so make sure you get the correct glue to go with oily woods. Nice tight grain and finishes smooth

How good a wood is Iroko to work with?

It's easy to work with, but has interlocked grain, so be careful when you plane or saw it. Planing for tear-out and sawing for binding. It oftentimes has a chalky feel to it, due to naturally occurring carbonate (or some such?) - it's most definitely not oily. It's often used as a substitute for much more expensive Burmese Teak, as it is also very rot resistant.

The trees are MASSIVE, you'll be able to find planks that are 80cm wide. Due to it's massive size, watch out for warping and twisting when sawing (as mentioned)

It's easy to work with, but has interlocked grain, so be careful when you plane or saw it. Planing for tear-out and sawing for binding. It oftentimes has a chalky feel to it, due to naturally occurring carbonate (or some such?) - it's most definitely not oily. It's often used as a substitute for much more expensive Burmese Teak, as it is also very rot resistant.

The trees are MASSIVE, you'll be able to find planks that are 80cm wide. Due to it's massive size, watch out for warping and twisting when sawing (as mentioned)

My apologies my good sir, you are quite correct. I have personally never used it. Upon further investigation, the "oily" feel comes from the calcerous dust often found on the wood which can be mistaken for "oil".

Characteristics: When freshly cut the heartwood is a distinct yellow in colour, but on exposure to light it quickly becomes golden brown. The grain is usually interlocked and the texture is rather coarse but even, and the wood weighs on average 660 Kg / M3 when dried. Large, hard deposits of calcium carbonate called “stone” deposits, are sometimes present in cavities, probably as a result of injury to the tree.

Working Qualities: Iroko works fairly well with most tools, although with some dulling effect on their cutting edges. On quarter – sawn stock there is a tendency for grain to pick up but an excellent finish can be obtained if the grain is filled. It takes nails and screws well, and can be glued satisfactorily.

Uses: The timber is of great importance in both East and West Africa. It is valuable for ship and boat building, light flooring, interior and exterior joinery, window frames, stair treads, furniture, counter tops, carvings, marine uses such as piling and in dock and harbour work.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a small metalworking machine shop in Jhb or surrounds that would be able to turn & fit a new bush for a band saw that I am rebuilding?

I used to have some Italians downtown that would do small jobs, but who knows what happened to them.

Thanks in advance.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a small metalworking machine shop in Jhb or surrounds that would be able to turn & fit a new bush for a band saw that I am rebuilding?

I used to have some Italians downtown that would do small jobs, but who knows what happened to them.

Thanks in advance.

Call Camper - 011 793 4410 - he is in Strydom park - he can probably do it for you

Call Camper - 011 793 4410 - he is in Strydom park - he can probably do it for you

Thank you, was close to driving around that area hoping to find a shop. If I had a lathe, I could/would do it myself, made myself some Phosphor Bronze Valve Guides for my Z900 back in the day (when I had access to lathes etc)

Edited by kosmonooit

Thanks guys.  I was thinking of using it for a trestle base for my new workbench, especially since I can get real thick planks of it for a decent price.  So in essence it is very much like Jarrah, just not as hard as Jarrah.

My latest "quick" project, my wife wants more light above the counter in the kitchen:

f3abcf5bcd9062b158e12b0dade3117a.jpg

Hung temporarily in the garage to test how hot the globes get, temp seems ok.

Nice. Will you hang it from 2 seperate cables to stop it from slipping to one side?

Nice. Will you hang it from 2 seperate cables to stop it from slipping to one side?

Will put 2 hooks in the ceiling to hook the cable to. If I were to make another, I'd split the power wire, live up one side, neutral up the other and then hang it from the wire.