Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Days of being willing to pay for quality workmanship and doing a job elegantly are lone gone.

Fixed it for you.

Fact is  people are paying lots here for bad workmanship, I see it everyday. Thing is they are getting away with it because generally the customer does knot know the difference!

For example, yesterday I was doing some work fitting a new gutter at a customers house, notice the absolutely kuk job done by swimming pool contractors who fitted solar panels to heat the pool water

- hold-down ropes were tied to the to roof nails, this has pulled them out, the corrugated iron roofing is now loose (should have been screw-in eyes)

- Panels were not installed level so there will not be even water flow.

- One panel was too short so it wasn't even connected

- General plumbing is fugly

Customer had no clue.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any chance you going to give the long edges of the top a wide underside bevel?

love those chunky legs.

Thousands of women in the CT area just rejoiced...

:P

But agreed fully. 

Just priced one of these bad boys... I wants it. Forgot just how SMALL they are!! Also decided to see if the Ryobi saw blade fixes the issues with my table saw. If so, no need for a circular. Then I just need a jig and a palm / laminate router (instead of using the big boy router) and a belt sander and a sheet sander and and and 

http://www.aussiebatt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/makita-18v-li-ion-bl-1830-drill-battery.jpg

Edited by Myles Mayhew

any chance you going to give the long edges of the top a wide underside bevel?

love those chunky legs.

I'm going for the used, "distressed" look, so I've rounded the edges with the sander, to take the sharp edge off, was going to do it with the router, but that's too uniform.

Fact is  people are paying lots here for bad workmanship, I see it everyday. Thing is they are getting away with it because generally the customer does knot know the difference!

For example, yesterday I was doing some work fitting a new gutter at a customers house, notice the absolutely kuk job done by swimming pool contractors who fitted solar panels to heat the pool water

- hold-down ropes were tied to the to roof nails, this has pulled them out, the corrugated iron roofing is now loose (should have been screw-in eyes)

- Panels were not installed level so there will not be even water flow.

- One panel was too short so it wasn't even connected

- General plumbing is fugly

Customer had no clue.

Yeah, that's also true. I've been lucky to get a few customers this year that was willing to pay for good design (ie take extra time to design it, we'll pay for it) The one guy had a coffee table (made by another guy, who I happen to know) back three times because it was not right. I don't think the guy that made it even talked to the client more than once. It's the guy I did that Rhodesian Teak and steel bar for. He ended up giving the coffee table back.

Yeah, that's also true. I've been lucky to get a few customers this year that was willing to pay for good design (ie take extra time to design it, we'll pay for it) The one guy had a coffee table (made by another guy, who I happen to know) back three times because it was not right. I don't think the guy that made it even talked to the client more than once. It's the guy I did that Rhodesian Teak and steel bar for. He ended up giving the coffee table back.

Ouch... 

Thanks Bergman and DJR! I think you got me on the right track. Have to agree it is most probably Padauk. The open endgrain, and difficult to plane interlocking side grain is a give away. I got a plank of roughly 70 cm by 19 cm by 2.5 cm from a friend. Busy assembling an endgrain cutting board with some sand yellow wood. The 2 don't glue very well though. Will post a picture if I manage to stick them together. Must say it is looking amazing the yellow and red.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/african-padauk/

But agreed fully. 

Just priced one of these bad boys... I wants it. Forgot just how SMALL they are!! Also decided to see if the Ryobi saw blade fixes the issues with my table saw. If so, no need for a circular. Then I just need a jig and a palm / laminate router (instead of using the big boy router) and a belt sander and a sheet sander and and and 

http://www.aussiebatt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/makita-18v-li-ion-bl-1830-drill-battery.jpg

I can vouch for that range, I have the older three speed drill, its still works hard. They are hardy beasts!

Most are now 'brushless' DC (ie an Inverter driving an AC motor), apparently more efficient and makes for shorter units as well.  I think the above is the Impact driver not the Drill though.

We also have a coffee table made with old sleepers.  My wife likes this, and the more crapper the sleepers look, the more she likes it. Problem is that the guy who made the table don't understand that you can't use mortice and tenon joints if the wood is falling appart from all the cracks. I had to fix that table so many times because it basically falls apart every time you move it. My last fix was using screws and metal plates on the inside where the legs meet the rails.

This here is my bandsaw.  It is an old old Atlas Power King 912, and I got it from my old school mate for free.  My plan is to weld up a nice base for it and get a new motor. The current motor works, but the bearings is long gone. I also need to either get blades made up, or buy a blade and shorten it myself using my TIG welder.

As you can see, my garage is a mess, but I am busy with a plan to get it into shape.

Edited by Moridin

I can vouch for that range, I have the older three speed drill, its still works hard. They are hardy beasts!

Most are now 'brushless' DC (ie an Inverter driving an AC motor), apparently more efficient and makes for shorter units as well.  I think the above is the Impact driver not the Drill though.

Yeah, it's the impact driver. I already have a Bosch 10.8v professional hammer drill / driver, but it's only rated to something like 15 or 20Nm. Lovely little tool, though. 

Looking for something with a bit more oomph though, and not the brushless motor. This thing has a rating of 160Nm. Though how it can get any smaller in the brushless guse, I dunno. Brushless motor unit is also double the price, which puts it out of my price range. Actually, lemme rephrase. Means I can't look at getting a new jigsaw and the impact driver together... 

But agreed fully. 

18V lithium ion range. I got a few of the tools. (hammer drill, vacuum cleaner, jigsaw, sander and I have plenty more I want to get still) and I only have 2 batteries and 1 charger. Its awesome as you buy the tool without the battery and then buy batteries separately. It charges in less than 20 min and lasts a long time. My hammer drill is flipping strong and nothing has stopped it yet. I will get another battery next time I buy another tool. So many people have looked at me funny when I bring my makita LXT tools for a big job and then they are amazed at how strong they are.

Only problem is I DON"T LEND THEM OUT, so I end up doing jobs for family/friends in my own time :(

18V lithium ion range. I got a few of the tools. (hammer drill, vacuum cleaner, jigsaw, sander and I have plenty more I want to get still) and I only have 2 batteries and 1 charger. Its awesome as you buy the tool without the battery and then buy batteries separately. It charges in less than 20 min and lasts a long time. My hammer drill is flipping strong and nothing has stopped it yet. I will get another battery next time I buy another tool. So many people have looked at me funny when I bring my makita LXT tools for a big job and then they are amazed at how strong they are.

Only problem is I DON"T LEND THEM OUT, so I end up doing jobs for family/friends in my own time :(

Golden rule of how to keep your friends and family honest