24 minutes ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

Doing my first triathlon in a few weeks and need some advise. What do you do with a heart rate strap for T1? It is not a swimming one, so do not think keeping it on for the swim will work. I would like to have it on for the bike and run to help with pacing. I can just put it on the strap for the swim and click the other piece on in T1 or just take the time to put it on after the swim, just want to finish anyway. Any tricks I am missing here? 

Good-luck for your race!

Take the time to put it on after the swim if you're not racing for the podium it will make no difference to your race.

Edited by _David_

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

Doing my first triathlon in a few weeks and need some advise. What do you do with a heart rate strap for T1? It is not a swimming one, so do not think keeping it on for the swim will work. I would like to have it on for the bike and run to help with pacing. I can just put it on the strap for the swim and click the other piece on in T1 or just take the time to put it on after the swim, just want to finish anyway. Any tricks I am missing here? 

I normally leave mine on during the swim even if it does not give me swim hr data. Just one thing less to think about in T1 and it is normally difficult to put hr strap on underneath wet race top.If you swim without a racetop underneath your wetsuite I will then put it on in T1 but for me it is a bitch to put race top on over wet body so that is why I just put it on underneath race top and keep it on through the swim as well.

24 minutes ago, reteid said:

I normally leave mine on during the swim even if it does not give me swim hr data. Just one thing less to think about in T1 and it is normally difficult to put hr strap on underneath wet race top.If you swim without a racetop underneath your wetsuite I will then put it on in T1 but for me it is a bitch to put race top on over wet body so that is why I just put it on underneath race top and keep it on through the swim as well.

Thanks, I just assumed as it was not the swimming version, I should not swim with it. But a quick google inspired by your post confirmed my Tickr is waterproof up to 1.5m. Not planning to go any deeper than that so will be trying to swim with it on for the first race. 

• 4 weeks later...

Doing my first Durban 70.3 and have a couple of quick questions:

On the race schedule on the event date it has 'transition 1 opens' and 'bike maintenance', is that when you pump your tyres and put you hydration on before the event? 

Will Durban's water be cold enough for wetsuit legal in October? 

12 hours ago, jdwet1980 said:

On the race schedule on the event date it has 'transition 1 opens' and 'bike maintenance', is that when you pump your tyres and put you hydration on before the event? 

Yup, that's the idea.

12 hours ago, jdwet1980 said:

Unlikely, it's usually on the cusp in June so I'd imagine it will be warmer in October.

I think there might still be a chance that it's a wetsuit swim, but definitely prepare for the possibility that the water will be too warm for a wetsuit

Average Durban sea temperature for the month of October is 21* C. 

Very good chance of a wetsuit swim.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:58 PM, ycowley said:

Start thinking duathlon instead of triathlon for Durban. The Ecoli levels are really bad

E-coli levels even worse at the published readings today. I think it is a done deal. Duathlon it will be or I will eat my hat.

E-coli levels well over 5,000.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 11:30 PM, jdwet1980 said:

How did your race go ? 

Race went well for me and 3 of my athletes doing their first 70.3. All finished, all have stories and all are happy!!  Conditions were great, except for the heat and humidity on the run. Hopefully we will be back to racing in June next year rather than the heat and humidity of October

2 hours ago, shaper said:

Race went well for me and 3 of my athletes doing their first 70.3. All finished, all have stories and all are happy!!  Conditions were great, except for the heat and humidity on the run. Hopefully we will be back to racing in June next year rather than the heat and humidity of October

What was your race number ?

I think we are in the same age category - 1322 for me. 

I probably shouldn't have been on the start line, head cold or something kicked in quite severely on thursday and friday, but I figured that I would start and see how it went. Swim was good, cycle was ok as I had determined to keep the heart rate low as a Precaution. First 10K of the run was good, and after that it was a slow affair. 

Overall i was happy with my day all things considered.